CB 350F Getting there...slowly !!

1fasgsxr

Over 1,000 Posts
Well here it is,my new project that was given to me by a friend at work. Yes I said given ;D Gonna be a long slow build,everything is there just a little rough. The tags were from 1987..it has been wrecked at some point. I have already started on it somewhat,but I have another project going on at the same time,but I could not pass up free!! I am new to these old bikes so I may have plenty of questions for you guys...wish me luck I am gonna need it!!! :eek:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 675
Re: My New FREE CB 350F

Welcome to DTT. The 350four is a fun little bike for sure. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks...been lurking in here for a bit...time to get something going on it...It had a huge crack in the oil pan from over tightening the drain plug...Got it fixed, new oil...sprayed some gas in the intake boots and it fired right up...boy was I shocked...the carbs may be too far gone, one of them has the end of a pilot jet broken off inside...gonna be an adventure

I have a cb350f. great bike! how did you fix the oil pan to keep from leaking?

Could you just run a weld down the crack in the oil pan with a MIG welder? Or am I thinking wrong?

nothing new happening but I have found an issue...it looks like the rear wheel is offset to the brake side...The bike appears to have been wrecked by what I found hiding under the paint on the tank !!Cant find any obvious places on the frame...are the spacers on the right sides in the pics?...any thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 642
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 625
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 659
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 656

A couple thoughts,

First check that the chain adjusters are even

Second, use a straight edge. Or a longish angle steel or aluminum straight piece. Check to see if the rear sprocket aligns with the front sprocket. If they are lined up, the spacers should be correct.

It looks from the photo that the tire may be wider than stock. If so, the wheel may have been redished to pull the tire to the right for chain clearance. It is hard to tell from the photos.

You can do a rough check for frame straightness by running a string around the headtube and to the back off the bike at several places. Like one long piece from one rear shock mount around the headtube to the other shock mount. Then measure at different points from the frame centerline to see if it is symetrical. Do this from the swingarm also.

That should give you a good start.

Ed

Good to see more 350F's! I love em. Super fun to ride and work on. If you want/need a new oil pan, I have a 400F one that will work.

edhaeuser said:
A couple thoughts,

First check that the chain adjusters are even

Second, use a straight edge. Or a longish angle steel or aluminum straight piece. Check to see if the rear sprocket aligns with the front sprocket. If they are lined up, the spacers should be correct.

It looks from the photo that the tire may be wider than stock. If so, the wheel may have been redished to pull the tire to the right for chain clearance. It is hard to tell from the photos.

You can do a rough check for frame straightness by running a string around the headtube and to the back off the bike at several places. Like one long piece from one rear shock mount around the headtube to the other shock mount. Then measure at different points from the frame centerline to see if it is symetrical. Do this from the swingarm also.

That should give you a good start.

Ed
thanks Ed for the advice. The chain adjusters are even, that was the 1st thing I checked...the tire is an MR90h18...I will measure from the neck tomorrow Thanks again

BCBarker said:
Good to see more 350F's! I love em. Super fun to ride and work on. If you want/need a new oil pan, I have a 400F one that will work.
Thanks I have my fixed for now...not a great weld job but it was free too....I love free stuff!!

Why in the world can't I get amazing deals like this! Damn.. :) Very nice find man. That's awesome you got it for free. I'm super jealous. I've been looking for a 350F for a while now.

Dont get mad.....but.....I have a CB 360 for free in the making as well.....just have to go get it and work on a title!! ;D

worked on the speedo a little tonight......the p/o used bondo on it to make it round, its dented pretty good but the glass did not break....yup bondo to make it nice and round..did a pretty good job too I had no clue.. :eek:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 497

Worked on speedometer more tonight and decided I am only gonna run speedo since the one is damaged so bad..Just took all the good pieces to try to make one nice one..Still waiting on title work to come in finally...once its here I will do more work to it....dont want to do a bunch of work and not get the papers for it ;D

Getting close on the speedo...need to order a new decal for it and cpl rubber bushings for mounting it.....Once I get the title work done I am gonna jump in with both feet....Should have it in my name with in the next week or so !!!...yup FREE!!!!...can't believe my luck on this find...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 472
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 478

Sorry guys...have been at a stand still for a while...had to put the build on hold for a bit...should be back at it in the next week or two... ;D

I have finally made some progress...was gonna post pics but the wife took the camera with her, I will try to post some tomorrow..need some opinions on some stuff too...

Back
Top Bottom