saving a 1980 KZ750 twin

doc_rot said:
Small garage ;) I'll role her out soon. I did finish the exhaust, but nee to trim a tiny bit off the exhaust flanges and pack the muffler first before it can go back on. Exhaust cap came out pretty nice but i want to trim a little bit more off the lip.
Just catching up, love the exhaust, it really is amazing. Your fab skills are top notch, really beautiful work! That table is also beautiful, did you build that as well?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Thanks man. Yes, I made the table. Solid hickory top brushed steel base.

Attachments

• table6_web.jpg
    table6_web.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 233
  • table4.jpg
    table4.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 232
Awesome, I really like that table clean lines, the dowels add nice contrast...

I love hickory but haven't used it other than a few axe and hatchet restorations. I just got a large slab of pecan that will become a dining table, I hear it is similar to hickory but I haven't worked with it either on any large projects...

Really nice work

advCo said:
Nice work on the table, did you fab those tapered legs yourself?
Yes 40 feet of weld in the legs alone

Hickory is really tough to work with. Wants to tear out, even drilling it with a brand new brad point it wants to tear out, dulls sandpaper very quickly. Insanely strong though, I got it real cheap so I used it, don't think I would use it again.

doc_rot said:
Yes 40 feet of weld in the legs alone

Hickory is really tough to work with. Wants to tear out, even drilling it with a brand new brad point it wants to tear out, dulls sandpaper very quickly. Insanely strong though, I got it real cheap so I used it, don't think I would use it again.
Yeah that's what I hear about this particular slab of pecan I have too... super hard, not easy to work with but the results are normally worth it

I got the ignition system installed and I was dying to hear this thing run, so I hot wired it. This motor has great compression and is very difficult to turn over with the kick-starter even with my 230lbs behind it, but it still started up first kick!

https://youtu.be/lnhF_QU0-jY

I decided to scrap the custom foot-pegs I was working on and modify the stock brackets to use Tarozzi pegs, I also turned some aluminum spacers so they are solid mounted now. all that remains is wiring, fuel plumbing, and a license plate holder. gettin close!

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 265
forgot to some add these pics of the new shifter. I went a little overboard on the speed holes with the stock shifter so I made a new one out of thin wall steel tube, and TIG brazed the fittings on. It threads into an aluminum Tarozzi splined clamp.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 253
I'd like to get some opinions here as I have compromised the strength of a semi-structural screw and I don't want my own "genius" to kill me. I drilled and tapped this head-stock screw to mount an oil light. The difference between the OD minor thread diameter and the ID major thread diameter is about 4mm so I am left with 2mm thick walls. This screw appears to pretty lightly loaded as the steering stem fits into the top triple and is firmly clamped with a pinch bolt. I torqued the modified screw to the factory value of 36ft/lbs and it seems fine. I have also seen aluminum aftermarket replacement screws available for this application so I can't imagine that this is super critical strength wise. thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 252
I replaced the steel top nut on a set of forks with an aluminum bolt from a late model TZ250. It does not need to be very strong as there is not a lot of force on that nut/bolt. Bottom triple clamp does most of the work.

The bolt will be fine. You could ride around with the bolt left out entirely with no real cause for concern as long as the three pinch bolts are properly in place. Cool spot for the light - how are you routing the wire?

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm going to paint it black this afternoon.

jpmobius said:
The bolt will be fine. You could ride around with the bolt left out entirely with no real cause for concern as long as the three pinch bolts are properly in place. Cool spot for the light - how are you routing the wire?

that was the conclusion I came to as well. The wire will go out the bottom of the steering neck then up and back into the loom.

blasted and painted with Gun Kote. i tested it and it is really bright.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 239
Back
Top Bottom