1981 SR250 CAFE BUILD

MILKY

cafe con leche
at last after lurking and researching for months..i-m finally on the case

i bought this sr250 for the wife, way back in january, then we moved house, changed jobs and the whole project got put back until now. The bike stood in abaot yard in barcelona for over a year and was running up until then.. but as usual the local scrotes kicked it about a bit.. and so it came to me for the grand sum of 100 euros including papers and name chane over to me...

reckon i-ll budget for a 1000 euros to spend on it....

ideas change weekly so all help and idea welcome..

here she is..>

Attachments

• 417346_10150714315671223_426654034_n.jpg
    417346_10150714315671223_426654034_n.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 538
Nice bike, looks like someone has already had a go at doing it up. Give me a shout if you need help finding parts as I've bought most of mine already. Just waiting for my frame, rims and hubs to come back from the powder coaters. It's good that someone is building a SR250 at the same time as me, it may give me a few new ideas. Good Luck.

Steve

SteveG said:
Nice bike, looks like someone has already had a go at doing it up. Give me a shout if you need help finding parts as I've bought most of mine already. Just waiting for my frame, rims and hubs to come back from the powder coaters. It's good that someone is building a SR250 at the same time as me, it may give me a few new ideas. Good Luck.

Steve

nice one... the bike was moved last week to our new house on the coast... left it in the street, got up this morning to find someone had nicked the front light glass and the throttle! feckers...

never mind i wanted to get a new unit anyway... gonna strip the engine down in the next two weeks.

here-s my list

strip and rebuild engine
deconstruct all electrics / replace with 12 volt litium battery and simple loom
black frame
polished tank
bob the front mudguard *fender
lose back fender and use tail and number plate as fender
lose air-box and side panels
new carb~_ mikuni_

pfff that's it so far....

lets stay in tou8ch .. i got manuals and bags of research to share

where you based? I'm a Brit abroad living in Barcelona Spain

QUICK UPDATE

my initial mistakes (of course i wont learn from them).

1) she's not running before i bought her
2) I have NO experience at all
3) dont even have a bike licence

... but..

i have bought a camera to take pictures of my stumbling bumbling attempts to produce the best sr250 ever..

last night.

1) got the seat off and ready to carve up
2) removed airbox and ordered pod filter and breather
3) took carb off ready to clean and re assemble.

found a how to video here:

http://youtu.be/AOJlHIUUBk0

Great video, I'll use that as a guide to cleaning mine thanks. In reply to your earlier post, I'm based in Gosport, Hampshire, UK.

SteveG said:
Great video, I'll use that as a guide to cleaning mine thanks. In reply to your earlier post, I'm based in Gosport, Hampshire, UK.

yep .. there some good video up there... fuel pump etc... I know hampshire a little I went to art school in winchester for a while (back in the day)... so we used to go to southampton for gigs and giggles... "the joiners"? loads of raves back then too mainly around fleet services "left mt brain somehwere in a field in hampshire" :)

i had a real messed up DT back then and the Trip from leafy winchy to southampton was a scare...

finally an update...

i have stripped everything off the bike save the front forks.. everything is now neatly packed away in little blue freezer bags.. labelled and filed away in the cupboard under the stairs..

next job is to de tab and strip the frame of old paint...

over the winter i'll be cleaning all parts and polishing what i can... its going to be a nuts and bolts rebuild!

Attachments

• DSC07363.JPG
    DSC07363.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 3,158
vphillipson said:
Good to see another sr250 build, will keep an eye on this one

yep.. i love these little machines.. i'm building for my wife to ride.. inspiration from some great guys here in Spain..

NO NOT CafeRacerDreams (for me all their bikes look the same!) BUT a little outfit here in barcelona called LA CORONA...
http://lacoronamotorcycles.blogspot.com.es/

also below some nice details from other builders...

my wife really likes the flat seats of trackers with the drop bars of a cafe.. so somewhat of a hybrid in mind...

black frame
black and pearlwhite tank

watch this space.

i'm off to buy de-greaser, paint stripper and HCL to get the rust...

Attachments

• Custom-Yamaha-SR250-by-Wesley-7-422x281.jpg
    Custom-Yamaha-SR250-by-Wesley-7-422x281.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3,315
  • Imagen 16.png
    Imagen 16.png
    468.9 KB · Views: 5,233
  • GasCap_Kustom_Yamaha_SR250_Moto-Mucci.jpg
    GasCap_Kustom_Yamaha_SR250_Moto-Mucci.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 14,406
just about to order these... any other suggestions?

http://www.boltmeup.com/stainless-bolt-engine-kit-yamaha-xt-tt-sr-250-84-16237-p.asp

also where do i get a gasket set?

cheers lads

Re: 1981 SR250 CAFE BUILD - MAGGIE

more questions...

im told the sr250 has a shock clearance of up to 400mm.. sooooooo i want to pout some longer shocks on the bike...

i was also told that XT500 shocks will fit so i'm looking at these:

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Twin_Shocks_in_Black_%28pin_--_pin_fitting%2C_365mm_centres%29.-ref-2660-731-415-32.html

365mm shocks..

anyone have nay experience in this area.. ?

Hi mate, I've got 335mm shocks on mine (about 40mm longer than stock). If you go over 330mm you will have to move the tab that your rear brake spring is attached to (I have). Hope that gives you an idea how longer shocks will look when compared to pics of my bike.

SteveG said:
Hi mate, I've got 335mm shocks on mine (about 40mm longer than stock). If you go over 330mm you will have to move the tab that your rear brake spring is attached to (I have). Hope that gives you an idea how longer shocks will look when compared to pics of my bike.

im looking 365 springs.. so i will remove the tab. so mine will be 65mm longer than stock... i want a really flat look but i may well reconsider and go for 330... i'm going to drop the tank mounts too to make it even flatter

how much track can flat tracker flat if a flat tracker can flat tracks?

ta

Started grinding off the unwanted tabs this Sunday (until i realised that it was Sunday and my neighbours who are usually tolerant of my tinkering probably would cease to be so !).

cut off:

airbox tabs, end of frame "flares", original seat lock, seat hinges,

pics to come...

anyone want to fab me up a frame loop? $$

just got a frame loop made by these guys

kingdom of kicks.. http://www.kingdomofkicks.co.uk/

and have ordered some frame loop slugs from dime city.

little photo update... had an unexpected day off yesterday..and even though its novemeber it was 24 degress outside.. so got a few bits done.

1) ground off tabs...(took ages... still not satisfied with the finish)... the original welds are horribly thick so i smoothed a few off (nothig weight bearing just cosmetic).

2) also mocked up the seat.. (at least by eye) the original seat was very wide so i have just taken the back kick and the front "box" *that covers the tank nut. The idea is i will join these two parts with a fiberglass seat pan, that sits low.

3) also dropped the tank by about 2cm by removing and repositioning the two side knobs and replaced the rubber with two door stoppers from the local hardware store.

anyone got any grinding tricks?

nest up strip frame of old paint .. attach back loop with "kick", make seat pan to fit snug just recessed inside the seat frame and loop.

flat as i can get it.

Attachments

• DSC07406.JPG
    DSC07406.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,148
  • DSC07405.JPG
    DSC07405.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,124
.. just a couple of picks of the tank.. I'm really pleased that it has no badges! .. i prefer the smooth tank with ot badges and i don't really want to have to fill the recess made by the rivets that would normally hold the badge in place.

as for colour scheme.. . thinking pearl white/dark grey tank following the original teardrop on the tank.,and very dark grey frame.

Attachments

• DSC07316.JPG
    DSC07316.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • DSC07315.JPG
    DSC07315.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,143
oh me working.. (sorry i don't have any pictures of me surrounded by flying sparks shot in moody black an white!) ;)

Attachments

• DSC07326.JPG
    DSC07326.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,067
MILKY said:
.. just a couple of picks of the tank.. I'm really pleased that it has no badges! .. i prefer the smooth tank with ot badges and i don't really want to have to fill the recess made by the rivets that would normally hold the badge in place.

as for colour scheme.. . thinking pearl white/dark grey tank following the original teardrop on the tank.,and very dark grey frame.

we have had a colour review...

gloss black frame
gloss black tank with matt black tear drop and gloss black decals
gloss black rims
gloss black fenders with matt black pin stripes

here some mood board stuff.. (yep finger nails! its my wifes bike!)

Attachments

• matte-black-nails-with-glossy-black-tips.jpg
    matte-black-nails-with-glossy-black-tips.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,647
  • Davida-Classic-Two-Tone-Matt-Black-Gloss-Black_390_1CANE.jpg
    Davida-Classic-Two-Tone-Matt-Black-Gloss-Black_390_1CANE.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,451
How's the build going brother?

Also wanted to ask- do those door-stops hold the tank in there pretty firm? I'd like to drop down the front of my tank on my 250, but I'm having a hard time finding the right rubbers..

Back
Top Bottom