First Cafe Build - CB350

mgros483

aka "Marty"; "mgros483"
Starting my first cafe build, so I thought I'd share it. Yet another CB350, but I thought I'd start out with something standard to begin with.

Got a hold of the bike from a local guy after posting a want ad in a local classified forum. Well, I showed up to pick it up and the guy has about 3 or 4 cafe projects in process, his own powdercoating rig, and a wealth of info about bikes. What a score! Prior to yesterday I didn't know anyone around here who liked to wrench on old junk like me.

I've owned and rebuilt two CB750's, but that was 12 years ago, so I hope I can bring back some of those old memories while I'm working on this but this will be my first cafe style bike, and I'm excited to get it together.

So, I will try to put some updates up for the good of the land. I get tons of advice and ideas from forums on every project I do, so I thought I'd add to the library. I'm also keeping a spreadsheet to track all of my costs and when it's done I'll post it, that's something I hardly ever see on build threads and I think it's something people would like to see.

Here's a couple pics, first is from noon when I picked it up, second is the progress I made by 8pm.

Attachments

• 2013-03-15 13.39.50.jpg
    2013-03-15 13.39.50.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 276
  • 2013-03-16 20.32.29.jpg
    2013-03-16 20.32.29.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 267
Dd it run before you tore it apart?

Miles? Did you check things like charging and electric starter.

There are a few problems issues with the 350 and I would hate for you to put the motor in a clean frame and have to yank it back out and scratch the new paint.

Didn't run, needs a top end rebuild, one cyl was low on compression but came up with oil added, so hopefully i can just get away with a hone and rings. The right side coil and plug wire were junk, and the carb linkage is trashed and rusty so I didn't bother getting it all working prior to tearing down. all other electrical worked properly. I'm replacing all electric components anyway. I'm debating whether or not to rebuild, install in the frame get it running then tear it apart for blasting and powdercoating or just do it all at once and hope for the best. We'll see.

it had about 10,000 miles on the clock.

mgros483 said:
Didn't run, needs a top end rebuild, one cyl was low on compression but came up with oil added, so hopefully i can just get away with a hone and rings. The right side coil and plug wire were junk, and the carb linkage is trashed and rusty so I didn't bother getting it all working prior to tearing down. all other electrical worked properly. I'm replacing all electric components anyway. I'm debating whether or not to rebuild, install in the frame get it running then tear it apart for blasting and powdercoating or just do it all at once and hope for the best. We'll see.

it had about 10,000 miles on the clock.

I would get the work done first, mock it up, ride it a hundred miles then tear it back down. Hopefully it is just a ring and hone, I am in the middle of a 350 right now and decided to do the boretech 1mm over bore. I think it was like 70 for each cylinder for the kit.

I'm also looking at the electronic ignition but will probably stick with new points. While you have the motor apart, pull the rotor and check the starter clutch. Problem spot on these models.

Got any ideas for front and rear shocks? Sticking to drums?

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of ditching the starter all together along with all the associated extra parts, so that should take care of the starter clutch. I think I'm going to stick with drums for now. My idea is to get this together somewhat barebones and simple and running, then customize it further in the future. I'd really like to end up with exposed springs on the forks and a drilled disc on front, but that will be phase 2.

I have the same thoughts on ignition. I'm pretty familiar with points systems so I'm just going to stick with that for now and maybe upgrade later if I have any issues.

I checked out your cl thread. I like your ideas. I'm doing my own fiberglass seat too, eventually...

What are you going to do for a battery eliminator system?

My cl hit a snag....new rules in Michigan has made it next to impossible for me to get the title. I managed to pick up a titled 350 so I will be using parts from both bikes.

Might make a new thread...I'm leaning more towards a track bike tho.

The shocks are probably shot on the rear...I would take a look at some halgons or progressive suspension. Good mid end shocks.

Hey there,

We are transforming the same bike currently. I look forward to seeing how you go about yours Esp. all the electrical...a black box for me. Yours looked to be in a little better shape to start although my motor was pretty tight.

To GIJoe...have you tried one of the Nevada title services? like this one?

http://www.its-titles.com/

I know nothing about then other than I read another forum post where a guy had good luck...You could make some serious coin if you scooped up a truckload of hondas and brought them to CA...LA and SF.

I think I'll still have a battery, just get a small enough one that it will fit in my rear cowl. Saw some people used a scooter battery, so I might go with that. Lithiums sound sexy, but I don't know if I want to open a can of worms with those. That's a ways off, I guess I'll have some time to think about it.

Took the frame, swingarm and engine to the car wash today and hosed off the 40 years of crap built up on it. Didn't even get it all after plugging $5 into the wash and a whole can of degreaser spray.

Can't wait until next weekend so I can get into the engine. Clymer manual is on the way.

GI Joe, I'm taking your advice and I'm going to get it running and have all the rearset ideas figured out and put on prior to powdercoating. I'd hate to ding up a nice new frame pulling the engine in and out.

Just bid on some CBR rearsets on ebay, sure I'll lose them, but never know. They look awesome.

I would mock everything up before I did the powder coating. Fixes a lot of issues. I think you are on theright course. I would get like a 6 cell gel battery or something like that. I can find the link later.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA13B0A17202&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Ignition+%26+Electrical-_-9SIA13B0A17202

There are cheaper ones but this is what I would look for. A guy on here...molerat...makes custom hard mounts for these that look pretty good. Will power you lamps just fine and are reliable.

Actually...sorry I forgot you said you wanted to remove electric starter...I would leave it on and get these batteries. Nothing like trying to kick start an ornery motor in traffic...

GI, thanks again for more tips. I'll definitely check out those batteries. I'm torn on the starter idea, so I think I'm going to leave it for now. I can always ditch it later if I want to.

I pretty much only have time to work on the bike on fridays and weekends, but last night I had about 15 spare minutes, so I pulled apart the carbs. I knew they were going to be bad, but the left was worse than I thought. I've never seen one in this poor of condition.

The right side bowl wasn't bad, standard for an old machine, but the slide wouldn't move at all, so I couldn't get much out and apart.

The left was completely encrusted with that white crap that ends up in carbs. Not sure exactly what it is, but I'm guessing it's from water. Nothing would move in this whole carb.

Hopefully, my awesome dip tank will take care of it. Yep, 2 gallons of pine-sol in a five gallon bucket. Luckily I have a lid for it, this stuff is extremely stinky, the wife would kill me otherwise. Of course I'd love to leave it outside if it wasn't 10 freaking degrees here this morning.

So, the carbs will sit in this until Friday. I'll pull them off then and see what I have to work with under the crud.

Oh and to anyone rebuilding one of these Keihin 3D carbs, there's a blog that explains it pretty well. All pretty obvious stuff to me, but maybe if you aren't familiar with carbs it could be helpful.

http://cb350.blogspot.com/2007/05/carb-rebuild.html

Attachments

• 2013-03-19 20.12.26.jpg
    2013-03-19 20.12.26.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 196
  • 2013-03-19 20.12.32.jpg
    2013-03-19 20.12.32.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 240
  • 2013-03-19 20.36.48.jpg
    2013-03-19 20.36.48.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
  • 2013-03-19 21.01.08.jpg
    2013-03-19 21.01.08.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
@halekai - I'm just as interested as you. I have some bids in on ebay for some right now. I really like the cbr look with the drilled plate above the peg

Here is the type I like. I know these are for hydraulics, but if I can get them for cheap, I'm not afraid to fabricate some parts to get the look I want.

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJIYE9qUcOuNZBRRJun6+-Q~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJIYE9qUcOuNZBRRJun6+-Q~~60_57.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 208
gijoe13844 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA13B0A17202&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Ignition+%26+Electrical-_-9SIA13B0A17202

There are cheaper ones but this is what I would look for. A guy on here...molerat...makes custom hard mounts for these that look pretty good. Will power you lamps just fine and are reliable.

GI, that's a huge battery, car size I think. Does the same manufacturer make the ones you're referring to?

I listed the wrong one...its like this but only has 4 cells...http://www.ebay.ca/itm/67-74-HONDA-CB450-SS-450-Engines-Ballistic-Motorcycle-Li-Battery-8-Cell-100-011-/200792278656?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec0270680&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1#ht_1828wt_907

Check out the 1 800 cafe forum on this site and browse the battery help thread.

Those carbs do look rough. If you have any issues and need to replace them let me know. I have a spare set Id get to you for a good price.

Those carbs look like mine did when I looked inside. Mine were actually a little worse, the aluminum oxide was so thick it was actually pushing the bowl off the body. After I cleaned them up I found a pinhole in the bowl so check carefully. I also found that the seats for the brass were too far gone. Into the spare parts bin. I ended up with a new set. I would take up Gijoe on his offer...nothing will make you happier than a clean set of carbs.

Keep us posted on the Pine Sol soak. I have to go buy a jug of it myself to soak my TM34's.

Back
Top Bottom