Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing

Hokey Doke. Been a long time between drinks, but I have actually been quite busy. All the control cables are made and actually work! And I'm on the home stretch on the wiring now (not that it looks like it):

_MG_4078.jpg

_MG_4080.jpg

But most of my time has been spent trying to make the f$#king petrol tank. Turns out my old MIG set up just wasn't up to the task (neither was I really) so I had to get myself a new TIG for Xmas. It's been a long process of trial and error but I'm slowly getting there (will post up the first attempt when I actually get the final one completed). Goddam sheet metal is a cantankerous beast though! But, think I'm making some headway:

_MG_3748.jpg

_MG_3749.jpg

_MG_4073.jpg

_MG_4077.jpg

Now I'm getting to the bit where it's all got to be stuck together... fingers crossed on that one...

sebwiers said:
Do you have any easy way of dealing with pulling the brakes off when needed, or is it just gonna be a matter of careful handling?

I hadn't really thought about that to be honest...

Looking great! That tank looks like it’s coming along very nicely!

What’s your plan for frame/tank/fender finish? Going with the same black/rust look as the photo you posted in the beginning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original idea was to copperplate the tins (and let them oxidise over time) and matt black texture powdercoat frame. But I think the copper is just a bit much:

Colour Options.jpg

So the next thoughts are leave it bare steel:

Colour Options 2.jpg

Do some kind of bluing process:

Colour Options 3.jpg

Or a nice off-white pearl:

Colour Options 4.jpg

I'm currently tossing up between the bare metal and the white pearl. Leaning towards bare metal. But still not quite sure...

Lovely project....for me the white and bare metal blend in with the white walls and shinny bits... the dark gray or gunmetal allows those parts pop and dazzle...meh when all said and done its your bike and a lovely one at that ;)

I’m not even going to throw my $.02 in because everything you’ve done so far is amazing. Whatever you pick is going to look great I’m sure.

Nice photoshop skills by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the copperplate - if you could verdigris that plate too then man, that would be knockout.

If you decide to do a nice off white, I have a couple cans of 2k custom mixed for a Porsche Ivory White that was only used one or two years on the 356. I'll have to check the years and paint code if you want, but they're sitting in a box and will likely never get used, if you think you'd use it you're welcome to have it.

Yeah, I'm so torn about colour. I'm thinking I'll get all the powder-coating done, see how it looks bare metal at that point, and then potentially paint if I think that'll work better. The decision may also be made for me if I can't get a good enough finish on the tank to go bare metal...

coyote13 said:
If you decide to do a nice off white, I have a couple cans of 2k custom mixed for a Porsche Ivory White that was only used one or two years on the 356. I'll have to check the years and paint code if you want, but they're sitting in a box and will likely never get used, if you think you'd use it you're welcome to have it.

Well that's bloody nice offer mate, thank you! Is it this colour?

white_walls_at_airport_beach_10-14.1147x587.jpg

If so, that could look pretty damn awesome, and probably better than the pearl I was thinking... more of a flat ivory white (?) which could be very awesome. Whereabouts are you based? Postage may be an issue for paint?

I'd go with the pearl, off-white, or ivory...once it gets some patina it would really lend itself to the style of this machine.

Hey Noddy that's the right paint color but Stroker is right, I am in the good ole US of A. Might be an issue shipping... I'm not even sure what the regs are on shipping aerosol overseas.

Yeah, damn that white is the tits. But I'm almost entirely certain posting aerosols is a big no-no at this end at least! Thanks for the offer though mate, it has brought up a better colour than what I was thinking... decisions, decisions!

Back
Top Bottom