My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (The Build Up Begins!)

John that oil pump will not work with clutch pulled in just in case you did not know.

cobraace2 said:
John that oil pump will not work with clutch pulled in just in case you did not know.

Ok thanks!

Grinding to a standstill here, took the oil pump off and can't see anything obviously wrong. Not sure what to do now, maybe i'll buy a used pump if I can find one.

My Suzi T500 Project (The Build Up Begins!)

Can you bench test the pump with a drill?

John,
I was thinking about this thing on the way to work this am. Did you buy the oil tank with the vented cap?

Andrew, yes I can probably try doing the drill test on the bench. However I did fire the bike up again today and while it was idling (the pump is spinning pretty fast at idle on the choke) I pushed the lever forward on the pump and still no oil flow :mad:

Clem, yes I have the vented cap but a good call ;) I even tried it with the cap completely off which makes no difference.

I am going to take the pump off again but I really don't see what I can do with it.

Well I hope that you find a good used one for cheap. I know that it has to be lame to get this far and have something like this spring up.

I can LEND you mine long enuff to figure out your problem

You probably have seen it but there is a seal kit on ebay for $20.00.

Is there a way to prime it? Pumps in general can be finicky to get started.

Are you sure it's not sucking air on the inlet side?

BTW beautiful bike, just awesome!

Rebuild it with new seals and then prime it manually by force feeding oil in to the inlet port.

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_GT_Resource/External_T500_Links.html shows the pump and seals.

I will get the seal kit and rebuild it then. Richard thanks for the link to the exploded view.

bradj said:
I can LEND you mine long enuff to figure out your problem

I appreciate the offer Brad thanks, but right now I am going to get the seal kit to see if that will take care of it. If not I might take you up on the offer!!

Let us know how the rebuild kit works. If needed I think I have an extra one.

I have lots of pumps. Need one? I have never had a problem with one yet. Have had some stripped out thpugh.

zooke581 said:
I have lots of pumps. Need one? I have never had a problem with one yet. Have had some stripped out thpugh.

Thanks Eric, I'll let you know if I need one. I am a bit baffled because everywhere I've looked people are saying they are more or less indistructable, never had issues with them. I am going to take it off again today and take the whole thing apart to see what's going on.

Sill no bueno on the pump, I stripped it down completely to make sure nothing is blocked inside. I have the seal kit on order but tomorrow I am going to try Teazers suggestion to force oil through the pump to get it bled out.

Got the front cowl finished with the turn signals in. All wiring is done now, the only thing that is not working is the horn for some reason.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 224

Dam nice work man ......

John, about the oil pump, I'm certainly no expert but I'm reading an article in "Classic Bike" (the English magazine September 2013 issue) right now and it says "According to Pete O'Dell (Suzuki T-500/GT500 expert) another common mistake is to overlook fitting the two washers needed to space out the oil pump drive. Without these, the pump well seize or the drive will be damaged." This fellow was a mechanic for Barry Sheene so he might know something? Best of luck figuring it out.
Cheers, 50gary

johnu said:
Got my seat/tail polished, it looks better in real life than in the pics. I didn't polish the parts where the pad will go.

that all looks real good!

Back
Top Bottom