Help with project startup?!

D_Howard

So i recently picked up a 1979 kawasaki 650sr from a buddy for $300, it was running like two summers ago and i have riden it. This isn't my first bike but it is the first bike im building/customizing. i'm fairly good with cars just never really customized a bike. (not my bike but only pic i could find) Basically im just asking you guys to tell me what i'd have to do to get that bike, to something like this on a pretty low budget. sorry for the links, im a n00b on this forum and don't know how to post pics.

Remove any parts that don't look like your target bike.

Replace them with parts that do. <G>

Welcome to the site - check out Photobucket for uploading your own pics and pasting the IMG links in here.

If you paste the link to a picture your post just put [ IMG ]http://pic.com/file.jpg[ /IMG ] around the link (remove the spaces inside the [ ])

That Bratstyle site is SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW....

kawasaki_kz650sr.jpg

RIMG0664.jpg

Thanks for the help Tim. i'll be sure to use those from now on.

And alphadogchoppers, i kinda gathered that bud, i was looking for a little bit more detailed advice, if anyones ever used my specific bike, pointers, etc. but thanks anyway.

The Bratstyles bike is an SR400 or 500 Yamaha. Totally different beast, and it's been modified quite a bit in the back end - frame chopped, seat dropped.

That being said, the first thing you'd want to do is chuck the seat and clean up the electrical / airbox / battery etc. hidden under the seat and between the sidecovers. Get the seat area flat as possible.

Then it's about a different tank (whatever suits your fancy and you can make fit the bike). Ape hangers, loose the signals, chop the fenders, etc. and you're getting there! Shorty shocks, lower the front end.

If you want to keep it simple, leave the sidecovers on and focus on the seat.

Check out Wrenchmonkees for some inspiration on larger bikes.

wrenchmonkee.jpg

Oh, and the mags are cool - go monotone on them - solid color or blast them clean for a cool look. Swapping wheels can come later.

Thanks that was really helpful, If im lowering the front end, do you think i can just slide my forks up? or would they then hit the bars? also do you think i could fit a tire that wide on my stock wheels, i know your probably not sure on my bikes specs but generally is that possible? im sorry im so lost, i just am trying to get started and looking for what i should tackle first. hopefully, I'll have her rolling on the street by next spring.

The bike should be lowered close to the same front and rear so it doesn't mess with the geometry too much. The forks can be lifted thru the trees different amounts on different bikes, depending on how that top clamp is.

And fatter tires need to be fitted to fatter wheels- too much of an extreme can cause all sorts of havoc (literally). Those tires above are known for not handling well at all in the wet stuff. I've never tried them personally, but that's what I hear......

yea, i was thinking lowering it about 2inches front and rear, if my forks allow for it. i want to ride it as a daily for a short commute, about 5 miles either way.

There are some pretty good writeups around the internets about lowering forks internally. I haven't tried it my self, but i'm interested in it if i can find a project to do it on. Lowering in the rear can be as easy as swapping out different shocks, or a smaller rear wheel. It's easiest if you can find one that's from the same make/model so you don't have to mess with axels, bearings, and spacers.

I can also personally attest to the firestone tires being generally lousy at all things except for aesthetics. That being said, when i don't ride my bike like a fool it works just fine.

I am doing something similar with a KZ550. If you really want that bratstyle look, you'll have to go with the same size wheel front and rear, not just width, but diameter. Are your current rims 19" front, 16" rear? And is it shaft drive, or chain?

Here is where I started/am now:

IMAG0270.jpg

309515_10101236789710324_2332510_76277233_1691316064_n.jpg

All told, its about 1,000 - and 700 of that was the cost of the bike.

New handlebars to suit your tastes, a rewire, bending up a new electrics box/battery tray, new tank, chopped rear, new seat, and some paint, and you're all set.

BTW, if that is your inspirational bike, check out the alien tank from lowbrow customs.

Back
Top Bottom