After 25 years, its time

Finished the new bracket to mount the Dyna coils, nothing fancy but it works. The new coils don't need the ballast resisters that the originals required, one less thing to go wrong in the future.. old and new in the pic below..

Attachments

• MHRCOILS5A 011.JPG
    MHRCOILS5A 011.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 255
Finally got the new coils mounted and their new wiring done, it all took longer than expected as the new Dyna coils are bigger than the originals and don't fit between the frame tubes. To make any more progress I need to move the bike out of my living room, and that wont be easy, but I've made something to help.. as you can see in the video..

https://youtu.be/wgdv87g2P04

A dolly is the thing! I use cheap furniture dollies with wood screwed to them for supporting the engines and frames and allowing them to move around in the garage and outside. A ratchet strap hold a GL1000 engine securely to roll it out of the frame and hold it for much of the work on it. With your metal one, you can bolt the engine to it for more security.

I've seen Harley engine stands for sale on Ebay etc, but none were on wheels, which given an Evo motor weighs 85kg.. around 200lbs I thought wheels would be a good idea. Its made wider than needed to give it stability while the engine bolt dimensions were found on the web.. just hope everything lines up when I try to bolt the engine into the stand.

Also got a dolly on skateboard wheels which is handy for all kinds of stuff, it was originally made many years ago to move a Laverda Jota engine about. Not much use for a Harley engine as they don't sit upright on their own.

Despite looking everywhere, cant find the ignition key, so finally had to order a new barrel and key.. expensive at £67.. almost a 100 usd, but I was lucky to find one new old stock.

Bevelheadmhr said:
Despite looking everywhere, cant find the ignition key, so finally had to order a new barrel and key.. expensive at £67.. almost a 100 usd, but I was lucky to find one new old stock.

I have a 49 for pickup truck. I'm the 4th owner, the second being my great grandfather who bought it in 1950 and the 3rd being my neighbor who gave me the truck.

I lost the key. The truck made it 60 years until I got it with the original key, and IM the one who lost it lol still bugs me to this day.

At least that ignition switch doesn't cost $100 though ;)

Back working on the MHR after a long break. Starting with the dreaded Italian electrics...

https://youtu.be/Fo0k4JVWGxo

Back
Top Bottom