1978 KZ650-C2

CoolerKing

I picked up this KZ650 on the cheap and I'm going to try to put it back together mostly stock but with some upgrades/customization wherever they're needed.

Here it is in all of it's crusty glory:

IMG_2587.jpg

I recently sold my KZ400 that I customized so that freed up some funds to hopefully expedite this build.

Here's the 400:

IMG_2695.jpg

M.B Co said:
Nice start. Plans?

So far the plan is to strip it down to the frame, lay down some fresh black paint on it and then start putting it back together.

I have a new chrome V&H 4-1, uni pods, small gauges and modern gsxr LH/RH controls on the way too.

I'm still undecided on paint but the two I've been considering are "Camaro Gold" or "Emerald Turquoise"
camaro1970camarogold.jpg
camaro1967WA3569.jpg

Well, I'm officially started!

I finally got the chance to start stripping this thing down. Took off the wiring harness and most of the electrical stuff:

IMG_2841.jpg

Nothing really new to report right now.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the frame cleaned up and prepped for paint this weekend as time permits.

I'm also going to try the pine-sol carb cleaner method I read about on kz650.info. I have a gallon of berrymans dip but I'll hold off on that for now.

I took the carb bank off the motor yesterday and all the holders look cracked and the float bowl drain screws are destroyed. So I have some replacement parts coming for that.

Had a very productive day yesterday.

I dissembled the rest of the bike and ended up getting the priming and paint done on a lot of parts.
IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

Reassembled some of the frame this morning, the paint came out great. I used premixed one stage/two part spraymax 2k
IMG_2887.jpg

Yeah the new exhaust was a little expensive but the Kerker that was on there must have been for a different bike, it needed to be removed to even change the oil.

Plus it looks a little rougher in person and I figured since I was trying to make it look nice I'd have to pry open my wallet and pony up the dough.

Maybe I can clean it up and set it aside or sell it for a few bucks and recoup some of my cost.... we'll see where I am after I'm "finished"

Funny how sensible people would just assume a manufacturer would be smart enough to design the pipe so you don't have to remove it to change the oil but not so much. Had a GS1150 with a Yosh pipe, same thing. I thought like you did until I started reading on the GS forum and found it quite common. Maybe they thought frequently removing all of the header bolts would keep them from seizing or something...

Started putting the bike back together this weekend:

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

So far I've:
Painted the frame/triple
cleaned the engine
pine-sol'ed the carbs
new NOS chain and new sprockets
new headlight ears
new fork dust boots (the seals still seem good)
new to me Sportster rear shocks
and a lot more new parts to put on! ;D

Still have a lot of parts to put back on and I need to clean a decent amount of them before they go back on but it's headed in the right direction!

I have some new Shinko 230's and tubes waiting to be mounted. Just not enough time in the day to get all I want done. ;D

(the tires on the bike are from 1994)

Thanks, I can't recommend Spraymax 2k enough. I used the one stage- two part paint. It layed on real nice, I just wish the cans were bigger.

Back
Top Bottom