Going from 16" to 18" rear Comstar wheel?

therichisgood

So I was thinking about possibly swapping out the rear 16" wheel on my 78 CB400 tii with an 18" to have it match up to the front. I found out that some bikes (not sure which though) had an 18" rear Comstar on the rear.
Does anyone know from which bikes this swap is possible from?

I found this but it has a disc brake so already it won't be a direct bolt on I'm guessing..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-Honda-Hawk-CB400-CB-400-Hondamatic-Rear-Wheel-Y8-/171331008773?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e41fb905&vxp=mtr

I think the drum brake will be your sticking point I'm afraid. All the 900s had 18" rears in various styles, as do the 1100Rs. My VF750 also has one, but is the boomerang style. The 1100Fs have 17" rears. All are disc brake though.

cheers
ian

i do it by taking the wheel apart you would use your hub but the spoke plates and rim from the18 inch wheel

you need to clearance drill the 8mm holes but all in all not to difficult there are ore write ups on doing this

Re: Going from 16" to 18" rear Comstar wheel?

Hondamatic one should work. 78 CB400 should've come with 19" front 18" rear stock. I have a set if you're interested.

Is there a noticeable benefit from going 16" up to 18"? I've considered it for the sr250 I have but it's only really a looks thing. Is there any serious pro's and cons to the bigger rear?

Eh... Opens some doors as far as tire selection goes. If you set the rest of the bike up right, it can improve handling.

If your engine has the grunt, you get a higher top speed. It comes at a cost of acceleration, though.

Sonreir said:
If your engine has the grunt, you get a higher top speed. It comes at a cost of acceleration, though.

Hahaha that does not sound advantageous for an sr250. Thanks for the tip

The A had an 18 with drum

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1978-CB-400-Hondamatic-A-CB400-rear-Wheel-Rim-Comstar-1-85x18-/161760610980?hash=item25a9af0aa4:g:0sAAAOSw-vlVoT5H&vxp=mtr

Sonreir said:

Bump the sprocket a tooth or two get some balance ??

Back
Top Bottom