Local discussions on here rather than Facebook?

Bozz

Coast to Coast
Just a topic of discussion, here folks.

We have a great group of folks, and I am especially appreciative of everyone I've met through this site.

I have yet to meet a "bad egg" and I hope I never do!

We are also lucky enough to have a Facebook group that frequently has content that this site does not.

There are many various reasons for this difference, as not all discussions are constructive to a global forum.

I find myself in a pickle of late:

Accessing the great local content of the FB group without having to deal with FB.

Perhaps we move the discussion to "dothetontriangle" or back here and access is via RSS feeds or some such?

I'm not voting for any one thing in particular, just bringing up the topic for discussion.

What do you all think on this? Am I the only one who is thinking this way?

Cheers!

The purpose of the Facebook page has always been to point people to this forum and introduce them to this great site, allowing the members/builders expand on their projects, seek advice, etc.
Likewise, we use the Facebook page to help bring those in the area together for more local activities, build a tighter group of people, friendships, put a name to their faces, etc
Facebook is just a means of communicating faster and on the go, with handheld Droids, black berries, I phones and what not in this day and age it makes it a very cool option to keep tabs with others.
Granted, our FB page seems to have taken on a life of its own!
We thought it would be better to direct more and any other means of traffic to this site and keeping the social network side of things on FB instead of creating another social network for our group. In this manner we would be contributing to DTT and the bigger picture.
We did not want two separate social network groups for the Triangle group.

Yeah, I agree with Eddie on this one. We were already stretching DTT with going to Facebook - but it was a way to spread news and event updates a little more quickly. AND, since DTT did it, and has their own feed there also... ???

It also helped us to reach folks that hadn't found DTT. Without it, I don't think our group would have been quite the success it is.

I'd like to see more content back here, personally. We have major group members here, like Johann, who don't Facebook. But, if by group pop demand FB stays a primary way to communicate and reach the most folks, so be it. I don't think I'd like to see another format rise at this point.

It might be cool to set one of these threads in our local forum to feed the way DTT did here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DO-THE-TON/110008609042646?ref=ts

We did not want two separate social network groups for the Triangle group.

I couldn't agree more with both of you.

A 3rd electronic entity doesn't help in any way, but as you say there are group members who are not on FB.

I really like the suggestion of the facebook feed that is linked from the main DTT forum (or our local one)!

Although something to think about is that any new topic in our local board on this forum is automatically fed into the global DTT group via the current DTT FB page.

I wonder if it is possible to have the triangle sub-forum here only feed a DTTT FB page instead of the global one?

If the majority of our discussions are on this board and then fed to FB, the FB content stays rich and the DTT forum content is available to all.

Supplemental FB content ("were we meeting at the BP or the Hess station?") stays where it is most useful.

Thoughts?

I think that is a great idea Will.
We'll have to sit with John (our moderator for D3T) and see what it would take to make that happen.
Maybe Tim can give us direction on how to acomplish this as well. I don't think that we will be able to link what is going on on FB here, but there is gotta be a way to send feeds to our D3T Fb page from here.

digging this idea. i tend to check facebook more often then here. and honestly, i rarely go to our little slice of the world here. i just hit "show unread posts since last visit" and look for titles that interest me.

also, i think the facebook page has helped with community. i think it has helped accomplish it's purpose.

that is something i wish this forum had. i spend time on an fz6 forum and they have a "thanks" button. people do use it as sort of a like button. i'm so used to it that i look for it on here. sometimes i've added comments where a "like/thanks" button would have done just fine and kept the thread clean.

Back
Top Bottom