Wooden Jack-up motorcycle lift

goldy

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
I thought there might be a little bit of interest in this. A good friend of mine built one quite a few years ago and has been using it ever since.
I'll include the plans and some pictures. (Click on the attachment for bike lift plans below)

Attachments

• bike lift 2.jpg
    bike lift 2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Bike lift plans.doc
    7.9 MB · Views: 321
It is a nifty unit.

Putting some real faith into the fasteners holding the "plate" the jack arm is pushing against.

trek97 said:
It is a nifty unit.

Putting some real faith into the fasteners holding the "plate" the jack arm is pushing against.
The type of wood and the fastener determines shear strength of the fastener. A plain old deck screw in southern yellow pine has a shear strength of 150 lbs and a withdrawal strength of 100 psi. That's a lot of umph.

I can't open the file and get the plans, but by the pic it looks plenty strong.

irk miller said:
The type of wood and the fastener determines shear strength of the fastener. A plain old deck screw in southern yellow pine has a shear strength of 150 lbs and a withdrawal strength of 100 psi. That's a lot of umph.

I can't open the file and get the plans, but by the pic it looks plenty strong.

It’s not working on shear. The cup is removed from jack and the top “face” of the jacks lifting arm is pushing on the face of the board. So working under “withdraw” conditions.

trek97 said:
It’s not working on shear. The cup is removed from jack and the top “face” of the jacks lifting arm is pushing on the face of the board. So working under “withdraw” conditions.
I gave you two forces- shear and withdrawal. Please read my comment again.

Back
Top Bottom