1972 Nopar Volksrod Hellride

A few things happening that spells some major changes. I was never totally happy with fitment of the grill piece and how the PO mounted the radiator. The grill was always too big and the radiator too high. The grill wasn't a good fit to the radiator without major work. Plus, I decided to strip the grill this weekend only to find literally a 1/2” of Bondo. It’s just in bad shape and I’m not sure I like it enough for the effort.

I’ve been wanting to drop the rad and move it back a couple of inches all along. I scored a super cheap Model A rad surround, which is much more typical, but it gives me a good starting place to figure out the look.

To accomplish all of this a few things had to be done. The pitman arms are essentially flipped, so the center link either had to be a straight bar or mounted with the bend up. To get more clearance to drop the rad, I cut up and altered the center link to move the bend under...

The bottom piece is the altered center link.
77150-240319214307-50782256.jpeg

As viewed under the car...
77150-240319214309-50802099.jpeg

Next, I changed the leaf spring mount base. The PO had a chunk of U channel, which I cut up and boxed out.
77150-240319214308-5079640.jpeg

And finally, the Model A grill surround...

77150-240319214311-5081106.jpeg

i like the foot bath to clean your feet off so you dont get the carpet dirty when you get in

nice touch

Got some struts mounted to finish off the radiator and made an aluminum grill insert.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 260
Swapped the 305 intake for Edelbrock performer. Huge difference. I also shimmed the engine to level it. Now I have to adjust the exhaust LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3273.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 459
trek97 said:
Is the steering improved now?
Sort of. I need a new style tie rod adjuster. They can hang up when pulling out of a stop. Nothing big, but enough to need a change. It still rides and tracks like a go cart. That’s never going to change.

irk miller said:
Sort of. I need a new style tie rod adjuster. They can hang up when pulling out of a stop. Nothing big, but enough to need a change. It still rides and tracks like a go cart. That’s never going to change.

I do love looking at it.

Looks good man.
One thing that bugs me is the top radiator hose bending back and forward.

I've got to get from the rad to the intake. It's not a straight line. Eventually, I'll get a kit like Spectre makes that's a braided stainless hose that I can make one-piece. I'll probably put a center-port rad in too, but this is what it came with.

if it had a huffer the rad hose would be going around the blower snout like it should

problem solved

Installed a couple no-holes valve covers (this is a pre-pcv block), then retrofitted a pcv. The former draft tube location is the fresh air intake.

Attachments

• IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 217
What they don't make a one piece formed radiator hose for this thing?
Just tell the guy at autozone the make and model and they will find it for you 8) ::)

Nothing annoys me more than the guys at autozone asking me the make and model when I have already told them what I need.

It's a 1976 GMC motorhome : blank stares
It's a chevy 350 grafted into a bmw : blank stares
It's a vortec 350 in a boat: blank stares.
It's a (god forbid) Motorcycle :blank stares
It's a volksrod: WTF?

Just shut up and let me rummage around behind the counter until I find what I need.

Back
Top Bottom