trying to find a helmet...

XsjadoTwin

Been Around the Block
A friend of mine works at a Harley shop and I was down there just waiting for her to get off work so I was looking at a few of their full face lids. They seemed great but I'm a small framed guy and suffer from bobble head disorder when wearing a helmet. But while driving home from work I saw a guy on a bike with a very "slim"/low profile helmet. Does anyone know of a decent helmet that has as slimmer fit?price isn't really an obstacle, I mean it is my head...(and I wouldn't really mind some extra features like Bluetooth)

Everybody feels like they look stupid in their helmet.
No one really notices.
Just get one that fits that you like

Well that may be the case, but I was in the store and one of the female sales persons actually giggled when i asked her how it looked, and said I should look for a "low profile" helmet. However Google hasn't been too much of a help.

I wish they gave dimensions of helmets and their sizes.

are we talking 3/4? or full or brain bucket? I have quite a few full face helmets.. the only ones that seemed larger than normal were like scorpion exo1000's when they had the integrated visor. fulmers seemed kinda big as well. with 3/4 helmets I don't have one but have been shopping and the bell500 seems the slimmest of the ones I've seen. no clue with brain buckets. I think helmets all kinda look big in store coz you're not wearing a moto jacket with shoulder and elbow protection inside.

If it makes you feel better mine looks huge on me as well haha
Extra padding for when you go down is all

I have picked up a few 3/4 helmets and did my own measurements and Daytona helmets has the slimmest DOT approved helmet I could find.

Re: Re: trying to find a helmet...

XsjadoTwin said:
Well that may be the case, but I was in the store and one of the female sales persons actually giggled when i asked her how it looked, and said I should look for a "low profile" helmet. However Google hasn't been too much of a help.

I wish they gave dimensions of helmets and their sizes.

She also probably thinks that leather chaps and chain linked leather vests with no shirt underneath are stylish. I get where you're coming from, but nobody I'd going to notice who is a rider. I am a slim guy too who wears an xl lid and just picked up a Schuberth C3 modular with integrated visor, etc. It should "look" big but once you're geared up, no worries.

who cares what it looks like, if it looks big, get a big armored jacket to make it look smaller

the only thing that matters with a helmet, other than its actual quality, is how it fits, how well you can see and how easily you can move your head around with it. quieter is nice too, but that's a luxury after the first 3

If price isn't an issue, grab a carbon fiber lid. Cuts the weight out, makes them far more comfortable to wear foquiet.ger periods of time.

I just have a normal Arai. It's light enough for me. I only wear it on longer trips, though. It is exceptionally quiet. Wear a 3/4 around town.

All heads and helmets are not the same shape. If you have a medium "long oval" head, it may take and extra large "round" helmet to fit. (well....not FIT....but go over your head) ;)

I've got a couple of Fulmer V2's and a friend has the Bell 500. Both are very good quality (though the liner of the Bell is better and has chrome surround instead of rubber) and both are fairly low profile. Not as small as the Daytona, but I would bet it isn't that noticeable unless they were side by side.

mhumphre said:
I have picked up a few 3/4 helmets and did my own measurements and Daytona helmets has the slimmest DOT approved helmet I could find.

Yep daytona 3/4 are pretty slim, for full face I feel they are all pretty much the same unless its a pricey arai

Dude, I feel your pain. I'm a pretty thick-type guy, (I prefer husky ;D) 5'10" 200+ pounds depending on how satisfying my morning BM'er was. And I have a large, thick like a brick, square skull. I need an XL in almost any brand helmet you care to name.
I had a few awesome, seriously awesome, vintage lids, that were nice and slim and didn't make me feel like Darth Helmet.

I also have a nice HJC IS-16, with the retractable inner sun visor. And I swear to whatever you wanna swear by when you almost have a get-off at speed, you will never EVER care about how much bigger your nice modern helmet, with the thick ass padding and assorted other crap, is after you almost eat shit at anything approaching pucker-factor speed. This is one of those lessons you want to take our word for. Learning it for yourself sucks. Watch some other dude learn it for you, then visit him in the hospital just to make sure you get it.

Get something comfortable, shop around, drive clerks crazy trying on a bunch of shit. Ignore the Harley twat, she's probably gonna burn her calf off on some jerk's tailpipe at least three times before she gets that skin grafts aren't the new sexy. Find yourself a nice hot chick all in skintight leather, with a matching giant dome, you'll be happier. And better looking.

Dude, I look like Darth Helmet in every helmet ever made ( I have a 1962 Arai that is literally a piece of fiberglass with a cardboard liner). Buy a good comfortable helmet.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
tumblr_m8caccG8l11qik1lzo1_400.jpg
[/font]

xb33bsa said:
did you try it on with a t shirt or your riding jacket ?

I tried it with my jacket on... Allow me to paint a picture I'm about 5'6" (slightly taller in my boots) and about 115lbs, I'd say >125lbs with all my gear. (Jacket boots gloves, then my normal civis underneathe no helmet weight of course cause I haven't found one)

My kid is 6' and 127lbs. he wears an HJC "Lorenzo" and it looks fine on him. There are different styles of helmets some for the slimmer "Euro" heads, helmets for Rounder "Asia" fit, etc. Some have huge shells and some slimmer, you just need to go to a good shop and start trying stuff on.

Back
Top Bottom