"Cafe Racer" such a loose term! Craigslist "Gem" of the week!

teazer said:
Interesting bike. Looks like a 66 ie very late production run. Stock CB77 tank and footpeg mounts with pegs in the passenger positions. Race kit seat and megaphones, but stock carbs and brake cables that are so long they are dangerous and kinked. Nice breather hose connection in the filler cap hole. Tires are almost unused and the thing cannot have been ridden hard because the gear shift would have been ground down - they all hit the deck when cornering hard and yet the pipes are cracked and have been repaired multiple times which suggests that some of the parts may have been added after its track life.

What's the story on that one?

Was a long time race bike.
At some point it was being "reprepped" for the track and never made it there.
I think that is the reason that some of the parts are "used/seasoned" and others look to have not been used/finished.

There was some talk that after the bike stopped being the main focus for the racer that it would be put on the street.

surffly said:
Was a long time race bike.
At some point it was being "reprepped" for the track and never made it there.
I think that is the reason that some of the parts are "used/seasoned" and others look to have not been used/finished.
And that is a common fate for old race bikes. So often something needs work and the racer has no time or money or just ran out of enthusiasm and the bike languishes part stripped in the back of the shop for decades. I got two TZs that way a long time ago when no one wanted them.

Poncho said:
If the tank is stock the cap is Duc regardless I think it's cool just to toss up on the catwalk and look at
Agree. That is def. not a Honda filler cap. Make for an interesting mod. That bike should be in someone's display space/office just to look at. It would also make a fun street bike at the right price.

teazer said:
And that is a common fate for old race bikes. So often something needs work and the racer has no time or money or just ran out of enthusiasm and the bike languishes part stripped in the back of the shop for decades. I got two TZs that way a long time ago when no one wanted them.
Yeah I am always amazed by what point some projects stall. I guess it is hard to look at it with fresh eyes. Where I see this as odd that it got this far and didn't get used again, im sure someone will say that about some of my bikes one day too.

teazer said:
Agree. That is def. not a Honda filler cap. Make for an interesting mod. That bike should be in someone's display space/office just to look at. It would also make a fun street bike at the right price.
Listed price is little more then a starting point.
Make an offer!

MotorbikeBruno said:
Spotty, I believe you are referring to the earlier z1's The later models 75/76 aren't "technically" z1's in the crazed peoples eyes, so they won't go for nearly as much. With a great bunch of them being the KZ900 LTD models too :) I met a few of the enthusiasts this summer. Guy bought one for 7k not running, brought it to me and I fixed her up (carb clean and fork seals was all it needed) and he went on to sell that thing to someone else for 14k....why can't I find those deals!!! (well..it's because I buy $200 bikes...ha!)
i have a 75 and 76 i always thought it was technically the last real Z1 ,the 75,mainly because it wasn't called a KZ by kawasaki plus it has the original short ,Z1 style fork sliders with built in reflector, the old style plastic side covers,tailight,and it had at one time the 1 piece rubber colletor/airbox/ has the carbs at 28mm maybe 30 cant remember Z1 type brake clapper etc
these clues are what i have always based as identifying a z1
granted the 73 is the real gold
the guy stood in shock when offered up 2k for the 75 when i first laid eyes on it i am pretty sure he was going to ask for less there is a lesson in that i didn't follow
when buying or selling let the other offer up first
my 75 :)

Attachments

• Z1 013.JPG
    Z1 013.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
MotorbikeBruno said:
Spotty, I believe you are referring to the earlier z1's The later models 75/76 aren't "technically" z1's in the crazed peoples eyes, so they won't go for nearly as much. With a great bunch of them being the KZ900 LTD models too :) I met a few of the enthusiasts this summer. Guy bought one for 7k not running, brought it to me and I fixed her up (carb clean and fork seals was all it needed) and he went on to sell that thing to someone else for 14k....why can't I find those deals!!! (well..it's because I buy $200 bikes...ha!)
what you say is true of 'real' Z1's but over here (Australia) even the later ones were bringing really stupid money just cos they're Z9's, the early ones , especially if original, were bringing even more than $25K. the GFC sorted out a lot of that silliness but still $10K wouldn't be outrageous for that bike (if you got rid of the seat, which I quite like and wouldn't mind one for the Cb750 living in the garage)

xb33bsa said:
i have a 75 and 76 i always thought it was technically the last real Z1 ,the 75,mainly because it wasn't called a KZ by kawasaki plus it has the original short ,Z1 style fork sliders with built in reflector, the old style plastic side covers,tailight,and it had at one time the 1 piece rubber colletor/airbox/ has the carbs at 28mm maybe 30 cant remember Z1 type brake clapper etc
these clues are what i have always based as identifying a z1
granted the 73 is the real gold
the guy stood in shock when offered up 2k for the 75 when i first laid eyes on it i am pretty sure he was going to ask for less there is a lesson in that i didn't follow
when buying or selling let the other offer up first
my 75 :)

Quite right ExBe. :) Hang on to that '75!! 8)

Drewski said:
Quite right ExBe. :) Hang on to that '75!! 8)

i wont be selling it anytime soon :-* and thanks for verification it is nice to know i was thinking right
since that photo i have put on a new seat albeit a z1 reprodruction it looks exactly stock and appears good quality made in japan even i think, i paid for it ,with cash to spare by selling that bitch bar and very nice aftermaket seat ;)
and i picked a nice condition original all rubber airbox collector dealy, got it used off ebay for a song and its totally usable so im rolling on it slowly
o the joy it would be to find a set of stock pipes the 4 muffs anyway, lol ,that i could afford

xb33bsa said:
i wont be selling it anytime soon :-* and thanks for verification it is nice to know i was thinking right
since that photo i have put on a new seat albeit a z1 reprodruction it looks exactly stock and appears good quality made in japan even i think, i paid for it ,with cash to spare by selling that bitch bar and very nice aftermaket seat ;)
and i picked a nice condition original all rubber airbox collector dealy, got it used off ebay for a song and its totally usable so im rolling on it slowly
o the joy it would be to find a set of stock pipes the 4 muffs anyway, lol ,that i could afford

You've definitely have the right idea there. ;) Steady On! 8)

I have a nice kz1000, but I'd LOVE a real z1 someday. :p

https://lawrence.craigslist.org/mcy/5831855466.html

Kids dream back in the day.

Attachments

• Beneli.jpg
    Beneli.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 149
Prescott Patterson
1 min
77 Kawasaki KZ400
$600
Armstrong, British Columbia
Gonna take a huge loss on this bike, price is firm as I have $1500.00 invested!
The jetting needs to be finished for it to run. Professional stage 3 jet kit with full detailed instructions included. (90% installed)
I do not have the time to finish and tune this bike. It has BC papers was on the Rd last year. And with a days worth of tinkering could be back on the road.
It needs only.
Jetting/tuning finished
Battery
License plate mount
Ignition switch mounted.
Serious buyers can send a PM to arrange.
Cash, PayPal, Credit Card, E-transfer all accepted. Will hold up to 30 days on cleared non refundable payment.
Prescott Patterson's photo.
Prescott Patterson's photo.

Attachments

• 14706855_551406108399968_5815414566704299522_o.jpg
    14706855_551406108399968_5815414566704299522_o.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 557
This may be a goodie for somebody. Says he has a title at least. $280 for a rough KZ1000?

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/5841150676.html

ridesolo said:
This may be a goodie for somebody. Says he has a title at least. $280 for a rough KZ1000?

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/5841150676.html

looks nice and kruztie.... but that is cheap

hurco550 said:
looks nice and kruztie.... but that is cheap

Titled frame is worth a few bucks, tank and parts a few more I might buy that if it were close. If it would run decent, not far from a dollar a cc bike

Back
Top Bottom