GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Back to Running!

Thanks fellas! Yeah Gary, I've ridden the 650 for some long-ish distances and it's not too bad. Highway miles are easy......around town, potholes, gravel, etc, and it's not so fun anymore.

I took one other pic the other night and wasn't going to post it, but changed my mind. Since this picture was taken, I installed the seat plastics back on:

photobucket-59869-1359955959397_zpsda49449e.jpg

I got a call from the PO the other day and he found some other stuff for this bike - the original key (I have a spare now) and the rubber trim that goes around the fairing (which I haven't been able to find anywhere else!). Also, I have a lead on some first generation GS500 carbs too......will be a couple weeks before I get them though.

Haha.......

Brad, I might be riding this out to your place in a couple months for some work. Nothing crazy, mostly just a Maryland beer run.

Little progress from the weekend, even though I have plenty of other stuff to work on first. I had an apprentice for the first time! Got the Gs400 rear hub laced and trued to a 2.15*18" hoop:

photobucket-10199-1361150761025_zps3cd33321.jpg

It will match this front wheel that I already have on the wall:

photobucket-10458-1361150761731_zpsa00fda2b.jpg

Eventually, I'll get some other Kenda dual sports to run on these. "Just in case." But back to our regularly scheduled rebuild.......

Nice one Rich! You know after realising my wife will likely never get on the back of the 450... I'm seriously tempted to reconsider some stuff after I get a Kat and have two running bikes...

Thinking solo seat conversion again, clip ons/cafe 'bars, rear sets, and wire wheels... if I do it that will be a long way off though, getting a Kat is top priority after the shed and Duc are done...

Re: GS450 "Sport" - New carbs

Sounds like a good plan Pete! My advice: keep an eye out for the parts you are looking for now at a good price. If they show up, may as well snatch them up!

Didn't take a lot of pics, but I'll start with this one:
photobucket-49025-1361260080085_zps09274b60.jpg

Got a pair of coils, 1st generation GS500 carbs, and mounting boots for a paltry $35 shipped! Granted, the carbs might end up being toast, but they are good for something.....And the reason the carb bodies aren't shown:

photobucket-54860-1361260100894_zps0b33c637.jpg

I had them boiling for a good while to break up any varnish. The choke on one of the carbs is frozen solid for now, but luckily I have another set coming in tomorrow. The other set should be a straight "bolt on and run" though.

Oh! I missed this pic. Showing the difference between 1980 GS450 carbs and first gen GS500 carbs:

photobucket-60269-1361262569470_zps249eac6c.jpg

Look at the mouth on those suckers!

Big Rich said:
Oh! I missed this pic. Showing the difference between 1980 GS450 carbs and first gen GS500 carbs:

photobucket-60269-1361262569470_zps249eac6c.jpg

Look at the mouth on those suckers!

I am to familiar with them carbies on the right.I need two sets and rebuild kits.I am broke tho.

Good stuff Rich! I've contemplated some newer 500 carbs, especially as the 2004 (I think) have a TPS on them...

However one thing I really like about the 450 carbs is that you can change the jets without removing the carbs from the bike.

I shimmed my needles last night without removing them from the bike either :D

IMG_5415.jpg

However... those carbs sure do have big mouths!!! How much difference to breathing do you reckon that would make?

As for my solo conversion, that's way off even thinking about at the moment, but of course if I do I'll start a new thread ;)

Oh... the 500 coils, can't remember but are you using those with the stock 450 ignitor?

You can remove and plate off the TPS module on the newer three circuit GS carbs.

Yeah Pete, Ben is right about the 500 carbs. The first generation carbs (pre 2003) are more similar to the 450 carbs. The 2nd generation carbs will still work on the 450, they are just more advanced. Should actually get even better performance with the later carbs, but the ones I found were cheap!

I'll have to measure the difference in diameters, but it is a substantial opening. I did a little bit of test fitting last night, and everything should bolt up fairly smoothly. Of course, the 500 carbs have a cable operated choke, so I'll have to work that out somehow. Not worried about it though. The beauty about the 500 carbs is the larger intake diameter, and the fact that they are "Slingshot" carbs (flat slides). There is a LOT of documentation about jetting and other modifications over on the Twins site for these.....nothing for fitting them to a 450 of course. But I think I'll be able to make something out of them!

Pete, as far as the coils go: they have the same impedance as the stock ones, so I'm not foreseeing any issues. But yes, I do have the stock igniter and ignition plate. Eventually I'd like to see what else can be swapped from the GS500 though......

Oh! I bought 2 sets of carbs (the ones pictured earlier might end up being for spare parts.....they have some "issues"). These carbs just came in today, and should be a "bolt on and run" type thing:

photobucket-50670-1361321115597_zpsdbd0a3f3.jpg

They will get a minimal cleaning up, and I'll double check the jetting #'s before they go on though.

Big Rich said:
Yeah Pete, Ben is right about the 500 carbs. The first generation carbs (pre 2003) are more similar to the 450 carbs. The 2nd generation carbs will still work on the 450, they are just more advanced. Should actually get even better performance with the later carbs, but the ones I found were cheap!

I'll have to measure the difference in diameters, but it is a substantial opening. I did a little bit of test fitting last night, and everything should bolt up fairly smoothly. Of course, the 500 carbs have a cable operated choke, so I'll have to work that out somehow. Not worried about it though. The beauty about the 500 carbs is the larger intake diameter, and the fact that they are "Slingshot" carbs (flat slides). There is a LOT of documentation about jetting and other modifications over on the Twins site for these.....nothing for fitting them to a 450 of course. But I think I'll be able to make something out of them!

Pete, as far as the coils go: they have the same impedance as the stock ones, so I'm not foreseeing any issues. But yes, I do have the stock igniter and ignition plate. Eventually I'd like to see what else can be swapped from the GS500 though......

Not sure on the throat diameters but OD on the mounting side is 33mm for early GS from 425 to 500E. 2001+ are 34mm.Being that the carbs are cast and Suzuki has loose tolerences,the OD can be up to .25mm off either way.It is rumored that the 01+ three circuit carbs are easier to tune and have a smige more bottom end and mid range.

Thanks guys, that is very handy info to know!!! I've been shimming my needles this week to get her running better, but ideally I'd like a portable wideband setup and a TPS... dreaming but you know what I mean :D

Flat slides on the later ones with a TPS... hmmmm... I like it!

So Ben, the new ones are about 1mm larger diameter... with good condition intake boots (I have new ones) that shouldn't be an issue for fitment I don't think.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself... that's something I can revisit after I have a Kat in my garage and running :D

Ignition wise Rich, Mekanix and I have been through that and it looks like the whole GS500 setup should swap straight in. The advance curve is slightly different particularly on the low RPM side (not quite as advanced) so that's still to be tested of course, but physically everything looks like it would be a goer.

Ben, I think it was Adidas that discovered a problem with fitment. The intake boots between different model carbs have slight variances it the rubber - so mixing carbs and mounting boots was possible, but they didn't "fit" the same.

Big Rich said:
Ben, I think it was Adidas that discovered a problem with fitment. The intake boots between different model carbs have slight variances it the rubber - so mixing carbs and mounting boots was possible, but they didn't "fit" the same.

The new style carbs will fit the old style intake boots.They need some lube to make them work.They are tight.The older carbs won't fit the newer style intake boots.The carbs are loose and create vacuum leaks.I have experienced this.It's hard to find the correct carb boots for older style carbs.I tried a few sets before I got the correct ones.Mine were NOS from Ron Ayers.There are other aftermarket intake boots that are considered universal and fit many bikes.Avoid these if possible.Some are to tight and split/crack after a few months.Most are too loose.The way I check for vacuum leaks at the boots is use an unlit propane torch around the boots with the gas valve half open,while the engine is running.Do it outside.Propane is heavier than air so it will drop away fast.

Thanks! I knew there was a difference, just couldn't remember what it was.

Back
Top Bottom