'77 RD 400-Balls Deep: Smoking By Spring

trevor said:
smoking by spring? 2020? GET ON IT!

Yeah, yeah! I guess I should do a minor update now that you pulled this from the dead.
Bike was supposed to be done by spring, but work was really slow for the first quarter of this year and so I had to travel thus taking me away from my workshop and my bike.
So in the late spring, I picked up this 1982 GS650E for $800 so I could enjoy the summer on two wheels and not stress about getting the RD built or cut corners doing so. Best money spent. I was gonna do a build thread, but all it would be is me putting gas in it and starting it up. ;D

2012-06-25172017-1.jpg

So in the time since my last update I have been riding the GS and built this:

Tinker535.jpg

Anyone who has built one of those before will know what kind of time they can take up and that one is my second.

Also, around mid summer things really picked up in my field and I have been working like a dog at multiple jobs at once and it just keeps getting busier. On top of those jobs, I have my own shop at home where I have a Z1 crank needing to be rebuilt by this weekend and ladder bar suspension put into a buddies drag race truck which his first race of the season is down in Florida in February and he will need to get down early to dial it all in. And I'm still getting calls and emails for stuff :eek:

I have done some things on the bike this summer, but yeah, 2020 seems about right! Ha

Re: '77 RD 400- Balls Deep: Smoking by ??

So I finally got back to my own ride this weekend. Fab'd up a stainless box for the coils as they don't fit under the tank anymore

nov2012298_zpsa4488d06.jpg

also got to machining the front rim making an adapter to run the second disc up front

pics217.jpg

nov2012322_zps9393bdd0.jpg

nov2012325_zps8bb09b42.jpg

nov2012327_zpse9f52c60.jpg

nov2012329_zps6262b162.jpg

Then my buddy offers up a set of RZ rims which are good in the fact that it's already duel disc and also both front and rear rims on my RD are 1.85 x 18, where the RZ rims are Front: 2.15 x18 and the two rears I got are 2.50 x 18 and the other is 2.75 x 18. The one that has a tire on it has a 130 tire where my RD takes a 110 rear tire. I'm just not sure as they are a little more modern of a look than I would like. Definitely very 80's! I'll get the bike a little further and go from there. The colour of the rims on the bike will be gold of the vintage race bikes TZ's, H2R....
If anyone has any input or suggestions...

nov2012331_zps5dd124d5.jpg

Welcome back from the edge. ;D

Lookin' good! 8)

Thanks Drewski!

Also forgot to put in this thread was that I had got a new pair of rear shocks for this build. They appear to be of decent quality and are fully rebuildable with NOK seals. When I get to that part of the build, I will do a detailed rebuild on here replacing with a good quality oil and any other parts necessary

nov2012301_zps1d96b0a7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom