Let's go adventuring. pulling a trailer. 2006 dr650 "the tropical terradactyl"

Re: Let's go on an adventure... pulling a trailer... 2006 dr650

Pretty excited about the latest edition. The dr650 has been pretty widely known as a bulletproof Swiss Army bike, budget-friendly and is about 80% right from the factory. They've made the exact same bike since 1996, but even in 96 they were still using 80s motorcycle technology when it comes to the suspension. The front forks are old style damper rod technology and are widely to be believed to be under sprung and under damped as they are rolling off the showroom floor. The number one complaint on these is the stock suspension, followed by the stock carburetor and exhaust which have been remedied on this particular machine with the fcr39mx carburetor and Hayabusa Muffler. I was cruising around Craigslist the other night and found a guy parting out a 2005 rmz450. I've read a couple places where this is a pretty common Fork swap, but the forks even in used condition tend to be a little bit pricey. I ended up making a deal with the guy for $120 for the forks and the triple tree, and he only lived about 10 minutes from my house to boot. There will be a little bit of fabricating to be done on the steering stops as well as a brake caliper extender to be able to use my stock dr650 front wheels, but for the price of admission I couldn't by cartridge emulators and springs for the stock Forks. More to come on the swap soon.

53c15c2ca7aefed0cd7a0f3fece54509.jpg
73e847b036268198b9c87d04d6878a0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kerrrr-ching, nice score

Picked up a 4.9 gallon IMS fuel tank second hand on eBay. It has a few scratches and a little bit of yellowing that wasn't disclosed before the sale, but it saves me about $150 over a brand new one, and it's going on a dirt bike anyways and not a show bike. Looking forward to making it to closer to 200 miles before I hit Reserve versus the 100 miles on the stock tank.
308c2c0812cb35642223946b5a98b1d0.jpg
b9c1ce789d0d53dea666b82f2970b644.jpg

Yeah man, that'll do it. The c model KLR has a 3.6 gallon tank and so what it sacrifices in mileage it makes up for in a sleeker look. I tell myself the extra gas-ups mean I can stretch my legs more often, but it's denial really.

Hope you had a good trip to Quebec mate - it was pretty warm this weekend so hope you managed to squeeze some snowmobile action in. I just tried going for a skate on the lake ('tis the reason for the season) and it was like skating on butter. No bueno.

The Jimbonaut said:
Yeah man, that'll do it. The c model KLR has a 3.6 gallon tank and so what it sacrifices in mileage it makes up for in a sleeker look. I tell myself the extra gas-ups mean I can stretch my legs more often, but it's denial really.

Hope you had a good trip to Quebec mate - it was pretty warm this weekend so hope you managed to squeeze some snowmobile action in. I just tried going for a skate on the lake ('tis the reason for the season) and it was like skating on butter. No bueno.
Yeah the stock dr650 tank is 3.5 gallons I think, so its a descent bump. I usually hit reserve at between 105 and 115 miles, but have never pushed it to see how far reserve gets me. I have put on a good few tank and a half days, and while a stop is always good to stretch the legs, I like to be able to choose those stops and not have them dictated by fuel so much. I like getting in the boonies, and it seems like I get to 80 miles on the odometer right when the riding gets good and have to start searching for fuel. That and the fact that I use it as my commuter during most of the fair-weather season makes it kind of a pain to have to fuel up fairly often during the week. First world problems I know

I'm actually going up to Canada this coming weekend. It's been a mad rush trying to get my old 1971 boa ski back in operating condition. It's my own fault. The sled has set for 10 years or so without running. There are no major issues with it but it would be about the equivalent of a motorcycle sitting for about 10 years. All the regular maintenance that builds up needs done before you go. It will be an adventure either way that's for sure. It's kind of looking like it'll be a little bit too warm for the trail ride anyways so it might just get pulled off the trailer and sat at the show at this point.

This is what it's been keeping me away from working on the dr650 for the last couple weeks. It's a 1971 boa ski snowmobile. I bought it off a dad a few years ago and it has been sitting for at least 10 but probably more like 15 years without running. She got a spit shine , some wiring work in a carb rebuild and seems to be running pretty well at this point. We'll see how she fares when we get to this Canadian trail ride.

fdb663b447d6a1f99b35e438e9802a06.jpg
e2c7922643dfac1bdc8b34dcac6bb38e.jpg

I am jealous you can tinker with sleds. Then, I probably don't need another hobby. LOL

irk miller said:
I am jealous you can tinker with sleds. Then, I probably don't need another hobby. LOL
The old ones are fun for sure, and are much more crude and simple in design as compared to motorcycles. They were much more akin to lawn mowers in manufacturing methods than bikes were of the same era.

My buddy (Who just so happens to be a way more competent electrical guy than i) came out and helped me wrap up the tail lights and turn signals on the "tidy tail". It's hard to tell in the video, but these suckers are bright. I likely could have gotten away with just using two, or possibly even one of the leds for the tail/ brake lights.

I also mounted up some leds on the cowl for the front signals.

https://youtu.be/fQpS1XiKTfU

6c65a181a3adef34604282490c1d65f0.jpg
1f20ba60c50d8c4e67f07848b85d2a4d.jpg
3fd93c54210e8a37d552aed00261c277.jpg

A little high viz green plasti dip on the tall highway trashcan fairing. It doesn't match the blue, but if it lessens my chance of a cell phone jockey pulling out in front of me, so be it.
fb60475ef1e338d77829ec341249e8f7.jpg
b2979e83b56f2451174609e66fc28b1f.jpg

In the best way possible your ride now looks like a majestically crested tropical bird. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The Jimbonaut said:
In the best way possible your ride now looks like a majestically crested tropical bird. Love it.

I was going for vibrant terradactyl, but majestically crested tropical bird works too lol

The Suzactyl

The Jimbonaut said:
The Suzactyl

name change, just for you my friend lol

I hope one day we can ride together mate, and christen our majestical birds the only way fitting - ploughing them headlong into muddy birdbaths a foot deep and a mile wide.

Arise, mighty tropical terradactyl, and SOAR!

The Jimbonaut said:
I hope one day we can ride together mate, and christen our majestical birds the only way fitting - ploughing them headlong into muddy birdbaths a foot deep and a mile wide.

Arise, mighty tropical terradactyl, and SOAR!

Ha well I do have a passport now and some time off this summer. I may have to adventure up into canadia then eh lol

Back
Top Bottom