Modern cafe, "Project Kool-Aid/ Christine: CASE BACK OPEN...

Re: Modern cafe, "Project Kool-Aid"...seat support done

Actually the base is made of thin wall steel box tubing. Our welder at work is not set up for aluminum, so I just went with steel since it is cheaper than getting the aluminum set up for the shop (tractors don't use a lot of aluminum :D ).
The chrome paint seems to hold up ok, but certainly does not have the same durability as some of the other paints and it scratches easily. I usually only use it for small parts, though, and wouldn't use it for a show surface like a tank, seat, wheel, or fender. I wanted to powder it, but the prima dona powder coaters around here usually want about 4-6 weeks to powder something, and I want to have the bike done by the middle of February for a photo shoot. Maybe next winter. I think in this application it will be ok, since most of it is getting covered up by actual aluminum anyway.

Chris, much progress on your bike?

No man, I'm in Missoula for some fire training for a while. Planning on ordering a shit ton of parts when I get back though, then there's nothing stopping me from throwing it into high gear. I'm stoked. I think you'll be done well before me though, if you're aiming for a Feb photoshoot. Can't wait to see the next update on this beast!

Awesome build, just read through it. I'm excited to see what you're plan in for all the lights, I dig cool stuff with LED's. You're attention to detail is superb.

Do you happen to know what kind of bike that was on page 3 that had all the powdercoating on it? That was a sweet bike

Thanks! If I remember correctly, that bike was a TLR engine and one-off everything else. That bike is nice.

I did get some progress on the lights/ seat base tonight, but nothing photo worthy. I drilled all my mounting holes, and started polishing--oh, and speed holed the front sprocket cover (still has to be polished, though). Due to the finish of the seat base, the polishing on that is taking a little doing, but it is coming out pretty sweet. Hopefully I will be to a point I can post up a few pics of the whole project by this weekend.

WOW Man! that paint came out super trick! nice work i love that pearl in there can not wait to see her in the sun

Hey great job on the tank! Can't wait to see it all together

Thanks for the review, Joe! Your opinion as another painter is invaluable.

I can't wait to see it all together as well. So far, I am working on it in a corner of my garage, and can't stand back far enough from it to see a complete view. Hopefully I can post up soon!

I am stoked for sun pics!!! that pear is a whole new best in the sun!!! how did it lay down on your base? or did you mix the pearl into the white? then just have to clear it?

I am pretty stoked for some sun shots as well. It is super reflective even under lights.
I shot it as a three stage. White base, pearl mid coat, and then clear. It works really well that way, too, since you can control the amount of pearl that you see. I put down three coats of pearl over three coats of white. The pearl was really easy; it layed down just like any other base coat. I hardly had any striping problems with it at all. I just used two patterns and it filled in nicely.

Heh, the paint is about a mile deep on this thing!

that is awesome!! the last pearl i shot was a water base and it wanted to run like mad!!! drove me nuts... PPG has since "reformulated" the pearl i used and i have a buddy that shot his wifes car with it, called me to rave about it... he used the whole water base line from PPG and no solvents... had good things to say... i will stick to my solvents as long as i can before the EPA comes and takes them away :)

I hear you on that! High VOC all the way! This tank was Akzo-Nobel Lesonal, and it stuck like primer. No running issues at all, and about 5 minute flash times at 65 degrees--and really, really bad for you to breathe! :eek: This was as easy a metallic type particle finish as I have ever shot. I can't be happier.

I think there is still room for improvement on the water based paints. I think I told you before that even the Auto-Air paint is still substandard to the Water-Borne, which still contains solvent. But I guess at least they are making headway...

Well, Mr. Miyagi would be proud. I finally got that darn seat polished. I def feel like Danny Laruso, now! I am going to try to get my lights installed, and then will post up pics. It looks just right, though. That is all for now...

Got the seat polished last night, and the LED light package installed in the rear.

100_2759.jpg

100_2761.jpg

100_2762.jpg

100_2760.jpg

It turned out as I had hoped, with no colors at all to the rear unless in use. The 10mm LEDs light up extra bright, and look pretty cool when in use. Pardon the cell pics from work, but you get the idea

all
0112111300.jpg

RH
0112111302.jpg

marker
0112111301.jpg

brakes and marker
0112111302b.jpg

It turns out that the brush finish that Sean puts on this seat base is a little too agressive to facilitate a perfect finish. But, considering everyone will be laying hands on it anyway, I didn't feel the need for a perfect mirror anyway. It is shiney enough for how it will be used. At least it is progress!

Re: Modern cafe, "Project Kool-Aid"...polished seat and LEDs

Wow Tyler. Those led's look bright as heck. How well is the seat gonna sit on the frame?

Very cool man. The LEDS are really spot on.

Thanks guys!
The LED's are the brightest in their respective colors that I could find, so I don't think safety/ practicality is sacrificed.

The seat base and frame were actually made for each other, so they fit fine. The frame is actually going to be housed between the seat and another undertail piece, so most of the frame will not actually be seen on the finished bike. I am hoping to get a few more key pieces done, and then will post up the first pics of the entire roller soon, and then all will be explained! ;D

Re: Modern cafe, "Project Kool-Aid"...one pic of the roller!

I don't want to give away too much just yet, but I am too excited with the results so far to keep it together any longer. So we have gone from this:

100_2179.jpg

to where I am at as of tonight (believe it or not, the alum. does actually shine):

100_2764.jpg

I am hoping for a little good weather this weekend so I can get some outside shots after I get some more work done.
Don't flame me too hard, it is not done yet by a long shot!! :eek: (< this lil' guy makes me happy in my heart!)

Re: Modern cafe, "Project Kool-Aid"...ONE pic of the roller

....and for reference, a stock VTR1000 SuperHawk

vtr.jpg

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than stock. Though I think it would look bad ass with the fairing back on. I think it would go better with your aftermarket seat than the stock one.

Never thought about that Louie, but I am now...

Back
Top Bottom