'86 Interceptor 2 smoke project

I went ahead and installed the chain roller in the spot I thought it would work. It's in a position where the chain won't be riding on it at all, but incase the chain where to try and bump the frame, it'll protect it from doing that.
It's super close because I increased the rear sprocket tooth count.

Ok, so with that done, I can move along and get some of the final things done. (It's amazing how much time and money go into these things!) I bought a Motion Pro dirt bike style twist throttle assembly and some grips that I will probably install today. And to make this thing move down the road, I ordered a d.i.d. 530 chain + 6 links. After that, there's really only a couple of things left to do. My bright idea is to get this thing in perfect riding condition and then worry about adding the lights afterwards. In my head at least, iit gives the illusion that I'm almost finished, even though i won't be able to ride it down the road, legally.

Things left to do to make it move: throttle cable, footpeg brackets, rear brakes, install chain, install the wiring harness, find/install an on/off switch, install the fuel lines and then have the exhaust made. (I'm really looking forward to that part.) The gas tank really needs some cosmetic attention. I just put some paint on there to make it look like a painted tank, but the whole right side needs to be sanded down and some filler put on there to get rid of some dents. I really like the vintage Yamaha block stripes and have been thinking about using those. If I could find them in a sticker form, I would do it, I just don't want to have to paint them on because I suck at painting.
So all in all, there really is not that much left to do. It's just a matter of time, and getting all the parts gathered to do it.

On a side note, I found our digital camera. I'm not sure if I can download the pics to the computer, but I'll try. For now, please enjoy my shitty picture from my phone 8)

roller_zpsnevwgawy.png

I used a cbr1000rr kill switch. If a starter button and kill switch are all you need, this is factory Honda and fits the bill.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-10-Honda-CBR-1000-RR-Right-Control-Switch-Start-Stop-/381841343738?fits=Model%3ACBR1000RR&hash=item58e78484fa:g:v5oAAOSwo4pYEpEN&vxp=mtr

Thanks for that :) I was getting frustrated because when I switched jobs, I packed up a bunch of parts and couldn't find them. That was until this morning! Woot woot. I actually found the switch I had been looking for for a half a year, tucked away neatly in a box that I totally forgot about. The switch is from a DT175 (I believe). So it has all the basic functions I need: Hi lo beams, horn, blinkers, on off switch. Looks good and fit perfectly. After I installed that, I put the new grips on and installed the wiring harness. I have to lengthen some wiring, but thats no big deal. Working on getting a correct length throttle cable and a correct length clutch cable (or try to shorten the one I have now).

Hi Scott. It's been some time since I checked in here. I've been on other forums for different bikes. Anyway, when you have time scoot on over. I've got some freebie electrical stuff you may be able to use and some cables (throttle). Also, I have some parts left over to terminate the end of your throttle cables that might fit. Not sure if you've ever made cable ends, but it's not too hard. You just need a heavy duty solder gun, solder and the termination bits.

Looks great so far! Also, most Hawk GTs use a chain roller when they raise the back up.

Hey Eric, Thanks for the reply, good to hear from you. Thanks for the offer! I'll have to get over to your place and check out the goods ;)

Right on!! I need a key switch that will fit in the stock location and I'll take you up on soldering an end on the throttle cable I have. I shortened it, but haven't figured out how to do that part yet ::) Then, if it works out, we can shorten the clutch cable I have, too. Thank man :D

I installed my new chain this morning and thankfully it went on with no surprises. When I sit on the bike, the chain is nowhere near the frame, so I feel a little safer. I adjusted the chain so there is an inch and a half of slack. Wondering if you guys go more or less than that? Also, as you can see, I made a prototype of the bracket I am going to make for the foot pegs. The stock peg location is right under my hips, and it locks up my hips every once in a while. So to remedy this, I moved them back about 5-5.5". No idea if there is suppose to be any given science to this, but they are where my legs feel comfortable so I'm going with that. And they are almost in the same location as the stock passenger pegs, so I don't think they will be hitting the ground when I turn.

CAM02145_zpsqubc7q2a.jpg

Slack should be about an 1". Now, I'm not sure if that's with you sitting on it or not. I've read it both ways.

eyhonda said:
Slack should be about an 1". Now, I'm not sure if that's with you sitting on it or not. I've read it both ways.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking I was close. I'll check it on Monday with me sitting on it.

I was wondering if anybody can give me an idea where to look for two stroke stingers? I've looked online, but can't find much. Not looking for the FMF silencers, but an actual slip on or flange type stinger. Thanks.

im in the same boat as you, but, look at some snowmobile aftermarket places also for stingers. not just bikes or dirbikes. otherwise, just make some..

There was a silencer that came with the pipe I bought a long time ago. It looked like a piece of crap, so I never thought about using it, but after looking at some videos of how to actually build one, I thought I could use the outer piece and build the insert. Short story long, it looks like I can use everything. I have it soaking in the parts washer right now to get the oil build up removed, then I'll take it out and take some pics. I learned quite a bit just by looking on Youtube, and am excited to actually have something functional here soon.

I actually did a couple of things on the bike. The first is that I had to cut the exhaust system I have in half to reweld it to fit. While it was apart, I put it in the parts washer and cleaned all the inside baked oil off. Squeaky clean! Then I welded it back together with no major issues. Then I took the old silencer apart, but couldn't figure out how it was constructed. So I just started beating the shit out of the internals and it all came apart. The inside looks a lot like my old Blaster silencer. So I took the center tube piece, drilled holes in it, and then went to a local store and bought stainless steel pads for washing dishes and shoved that in there around the tube I drilled holes in. I saw a guy do this on YouTube that builds race bike exhaust systems. He says it works, and it was only like $3. And it's super easy to take apart and clean and/or replace the stainless steel. So it looks like I'm good to go. Almost done with the exhaust!! Of course I didn't take any pictures, not that they will be worth anything with my crappy phone. I do have another phone on order and will be here next week. Looking forward to actually taking some decent pics.

I remember reading an article about a bloke who built a similar muffler for his atv which caused a large bushfire due to the steel becoming red hot and blowing out the back.

Aaen Performance in Kenosha Wis. has a variety of steel and alloy silencers.http://www.aaenperformance.com/snow_exhaust.asp I have made several from scratch using aluminum tube for the body. I have a sheet of perforated stainless I roll my own baffle cores.I have a roll off 1" ceramic matting I use for packing. Kind of fun little projects, really.

Hey Scott! Haven't heard from you about any parts you needed. Still have the ignition switch & key I saved for you.

Back
Top Bottom