CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: CB360- No Evil

tWistedWheelz said:
I wish I had all the fun toys you have!

It's all cheap stuff made in China
Probably have less than $3,500 in machines and tooling acquired over last 6~7yrs.
Most expensive thing was milling machine, $1080.00 from Harbor Freight (inc. tax)
Knowing what knobs to twiddle makes a difference though ;D

Which mill did you get from them? My first was their green painted (Grizzly rebranded) RU-25. Still have it, but it's dusty and lonely in the corner. Was a decent little bench top for the money though...same thing sold as a Jet JMD-17. Been thinking about retro-fitting it for light CNC work though recently, it's more than capable. Did you do the ball bearing mod on the lead screws yet?

Hi Swagger,
It's a Central Machinery 33686, done nothing to it except try and get column 'square' in all directions.
I should replace all the screws with ball screws and do the ball bearing conversion but I don't use it too much and don't really have time (and cash)
Back to see surgeon for follow up tomorrow
Spent almost 3 hrs at dentist yesterday with mouth full of grinding tools, steel stuff, etc (and feel MUCH worse for it, plus totally broke and in debt :()
We had a Solar Water Heater fitted last month, failed inspection because expansion tank was too small. Had a new one fitted Monday and inspection this morning.
While I was waiting I made some more dumb shit, lightweight locknuts for shock. ::)
The original was 19mm and weighed a whole half ounce :eek:
Milled down some 7/8" hex bar (6061) to 17mm and made 4 nuts.
all 4 only weigh 0.45 oz 8)
As they won't be highly stressed I don't think there will be any problems (plus, I'm going to Loctite the lowers onto shaft when I re-build shock)
Here's some pics as I know everyone likes to look at stuff
Nuts2.jpg

Nuts1.jpg

HA! Love the ally lock nuts mate....well worth the time. Have them hard anodized and they'll hold up just fine. Way cool!
Did you tap the threads or single point them on the lathe? Inside threads are a pain....

yeah that's the same machine Jet sells, Grizzly sells, HF sells....etc. Made by a company called RongFu. Pretty decent as you've seen, really should work out great. I've got several thousand hours on mine and other than the x-axis gib being about 1/2" shorter than it should for proper adjustment and needing lead screw bearings....it's been a pretty good little machine.
I've considered filling the column with structural plas-crete to help damp some vibration related chatter, the head casting is really pretty stout for what it is and the quill bearings are under stressed. Being the first milling machine I bought, I got used to R8 collets, now after 5 years with the 2UVRC I STILL hate Z-collets! heh....

PJ... your farking nuts. then again, replacing enough bolts with lightweight ones can add up to a pound or two! :D

bummer on the financial stuff. rough times. youll get through it though! i just know it.

keep up the awesome work. ;D

Screwed up somehow measuring thread on bladder cap, it's 7 x 0.75 not 8 x 0.75mm so the new tap I bought won't work. (going to blame it on toothache ) ::)
Luckily I bought a 5/16" x 32 tpi tap and die so I'm going to modify some 'normal' tyre valves cut out of old tubes.
Thread is a little bit loose as 5/16" = 0.3125" and Schrader 7.7mm = 0.303139".
Nine thousandths of an inch doesn't sound much but makes a big difference on such a small size.
I dunno, I may just order some more stuff to make shipping costs worthwhile on 7 x 0.75 tap and die
Did some work on seat base, not happy with it so I cut it up and welded new sides on.
Still not happy with it so I'm going to slap some filler on and use it as a plug for glass seat base
Decembers isn't one of my better months (hasn't been for at least 15 yrs :()

crazypj said:
Yep, I made a pair today, (slightly different design, plus shorter)
Took just about entire day (from cutting 2 x 4" long pieces off a 12" bar I bought, (got wrong size, 2.5" dia means a lot of cutting ::))
I've checked they fit shocks, looks dam good on shock (forot to take pic) also weighed them (8.7oz ;D)
At least 10 hrs total time
Beforeandafter.jpg

this chuck setup just screams DANGER! I love it

Naw...run a live center in the tail stock and it's only 'Kinda Dangerous!'....heh
Not much choice with the small machines. Besides...who ever said this shit was safe?

Swagger said:
Naw...run a live center in the tail stock and it's only 'Kinda Dangerous!'....heh
Not much choice with the small machines. Besides...who ever said this shit was safe?

Got it exactly :D
It's only like that for center drilling and pic, the outside gets machined smooth and flipped around to do other end.
Didn't get a pic of the dangerous bit, counter-boring 0.220" deep, 1.250" dia inside the 'big' end

Had another root canal treatment this morning.
Three this month is pretty OTT :eek:
Dentist sucks big time, I didn't have a problem until he started grinding on my teeth to fit crown/bridge.
Wouldn't have minded him being an arrogant asshole if he really was as good as he thinks he is.
Found out the endodontist I got referred to who's being doing my root canals was dentist of the year though, really really good guy, takes the pain away 8)
I'm still doped up at present, have to go to work as soon as possible at least it will be a 3 hr shorter double shift then a week off so I should be able to get some work done on bikes (then I'll post pics of 'progress')

crazypj said:
Had another root canal treatment this morning.
Three this month is pretty OTT :eek:
Dentist sucks big time, I didn't have a problem until he started grinding on my teeth to fit crown/bridge.
Wouldn't have minded him being an arrogant asshole if he really was as good as he thinks he is.
Found out the endodontist I got referred to who's being doing my root canals was dentist of the year though, really really good guy, takes the pain away 8)
I'm still doped up at present, have to go to work as soon as possible at least it will be a 3 hr shorter double shift then a week off so I should be able to get some work done on bikes (then I'll post pics of 'progress')

ouchers!

some dentists are real idiots... my mother had a runaround with some dentists who plain and simple did a terrible job with her fakes (she had been hit by a truck when younger and lost some teeth)...

good luck pj! cant wait to see what youve done.

Finally got round to making a shock spring compressor to remove rear springs. (never needed one previously, could just grab them, compress and remove collets or lock nuts )
It's all from scrap I had laying around, some of it is going to be modified and it will get bolted to a piece of 3/4" ply (I clamped it in vice to get shock apart)
As usual, I made it way overcomplicated and just guessed a few sizes (to fit the stuff I had ;D )
Made some more fixtures to remove diaphragm cap from gas shock and removed 'air' valve to fit a puller rod

shockspringcompressor4.jpg

shockspringcompressor1.jpg

Not a good pic, the fine thread doesn't even show, will retake eventually.
It's 7mm dia, 0.75mm pitch one end and 8 x 1.25 on the 'nut' end
Aircapremovaltool.jpg

I've just read this thread from the beginning (It's a pissy wet thawing night in the Garw with bugger all to do while I wait for head bearings to arrive.)
Jeez you work to a standard PJ ........ do you have OCD ;)
Do you still have a link for those shocks?
Tidy.

Erskine said:
Jeez you work to a standard PJ ........ do you have OCD ;)
Do you still have a link for those shocks?
Tidy.

Nah, I'm just a lazy bastard
I do it as good as possible the first time then never touch it again ;D

Sorry, don't have link for shocks, they were from e-bay, advertised for V-Max and similar.
They will need a re-build as there is air in the damping side and not enough oil in there.
The forked end is too wide and will either need shimming or a replacement made (you know what I did)
I'm going to make a few other mods when I get time

Haven't done as much as I would like on bikes, been working double shifts and spent a bunch of time fixing large hole in the wall where I thought we had a water leak.
We got charged for 38,000 gallons last month, about average family use for a YEAR.
The busted pipe is fixed now, but I'm checking the water meter twice a day and still working on various holes

Uploaded the boring dark video of ride home from work to You Tube.

Tooth is hurting, just had some ibuprofen, waiting for it to start working and needed something to take my mind off it.
Going to take a daytime video soon, may be a little less boring
I don't have editing software so skip the first 1min10 sec.

Vintage Honda 360, more or less stock, soon to be Cafe

As usual, nothing much happened even though I had big plans.
I did modify shocks and get them back together.
Used air instead of Nitrogen just to check compression damping is working (I'll let it out and get them charged with Nitrogen next week)
Anyway, here's some pics of mods.
Top of shock, where it mounts to frame.
Bosses are for air-bleed/oil fill and compression damping adjuster (it's a Chines copy of something expensive)
I know why damping is shite out of the box, about 3 times more oil went in than came out :eek:

Shocktop.jpg

I don't have a damping adjuster but I do have a 5mm tap (and know how to use it :D )
Shocktop3.jpg

The sides of screw are a 'good' fit in counter-bore, 'o' ring will prevent any leaks.
It made it really easy to re-build shock, put most of the oil in through 'top' (actually the bottom), built it up removed screw and let air out, added about 25cc of oil through hole
Shockrebuilt3.jpg

This is underneath when on bike
Shockdamper1.jpg

Before tightening down, the special pin tool I made.
Couldn't find a torque spec so I used he German method (gut-en-tite)
Shockdamper2.jpg

Finished assembly, bump stop rubber is all the way down so I can find out how much travel I use
Shockrebuilt.jpg

Forgot to mention, I got some Kawasaki Ninja 250 forks off eBay.
Not sure if they are 35 or 37mm (I thought 37 but hoping 35mm)

EX250, at least the last gen are 37mm and nice little basic forks.
The actually weighed a bit less than the boat anchor 500T forks they're replacing here!
Emulators will help them immensely, working on turning up a pair this week for them.
Working on tracking down proper internal springs, the external springs are available at my local hardware store.
I don't know about your triples, but the 450/500T have juuuuust enough room to bore them for the bigger sticks.

Kawasaki EX250 forks arrived yesterday.
36mm dia, not yet sure if I'll modify steerer, top bearing or change stem completely as it's 30mm instead of Honda 25mm.
Got shocks gassed, won't be fitting them until Saturday afternoon at very earliest
I thought I had posted dyno runs of the original CB378 motor but apparently not.
Unfortunately I can't get any more dyno runs without paying full price or driving couple of hundred miles
Here's original with too rich jetting and 2:1 exhaust I made (almost 10:1 fuel air ratio)
Was doing some major experiments with carbs
With jetting leaned out it should be making closer to 40bhp all the time (stock cam and carbs)
Dotted line on lower graph is 'ideal' fuel air ratio for max power (about 13:1) you can see where power drops as it gets richer
Dynorun5-Nov20th2008.jpg

Here's with quiet exhaust and rich jetting, while I was still experimenting with jetting, real rich still so losing bunch of power.
Dynorun6and7Nov20th20083.jpg

Those graphs make for interesting reading.
Especially the correlation between air fuel/ratio and the power curve.
:)

36mm huh? What years, do you know?
Just curiosity mainly, as I said...mine came from a last gen.

Back
Top Bottom