ACEitup

Been Around the Block
Hi All,
Back in a previous post I raised the issue of top speeds etc,
had some great input as to developing power and losing wait
to gain top speed etc.
However I had comments from other ace riders with less mods and weight
exceeding my top speed?
Accepting I have standard gearing and many of you guys are getting better results on stock bikes! started me thinking maybe speedo's are sus?
My rides are generally not freeways so I thought the dips and curves might be the difference? not letting me wind out etc? What type of roads are you guys on?, to hit those top speeds? as even with breeze and downhill could not get near that, unless I had few extra K's to run and then maybe? see pic of my arvo spin!
and to my surprise a top speed well over what I saw on speedo, knees and head tucked in the max! the best I saw was 93 Clicks! on the speedo?
cheers ACEitup

Attachments

• run.PNG
    run.PNG
    238.4 KB · Views: 712
  • gps speed.PNG
    gps speed.PNG
    346 KB · Views: 276
Never mind the speed, what on earth is that app?

Big diff on the speed isn't it, I would trust the GPS in the iPhone than the speedo. Might need to get that looked at as that could get you fined when you thought you were ok.

ChrisBNE said:
Diablo super biker: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/diablo-super-biker/id451756374?mt=8
it's free !
riding with another ace on weekend
will do a real speed check? plus app check?
cheers ACEitup

Interesting result!

I had assumed that the speedo reading was optimistic, as that is usually the case. Maybe some self-sacrificing Ace owner can do a high-speed run through a police radar trap to get an official opinion! Bags not me!

Crazy

Cool! Downloading now. Do you have to keep the phone upright in the same position for lean angle or does it work in your pocket?

neevo said:
Cool! Downloading now. Do you have to keep the phone upright
Hey neevo,
really didn't even think about that? just put in inside jacket pocket!
the 24deg must have been in the little figure 8 u see on run?
that's Cronulla's new development "Greenhills" getting built at the moment,
great little perimeter road max 70ks straight (by speedo) and curves with 2 hair pin corners
and empty after 5pm, builder's all gone home, just the occasional L plater in tin tops!
cheers ACEitup

Attained a genuine 73 Mph / 116Kph (verified by my Garmin sat-nav) on the A30 (downhill towards Exeter airport) a few weeks ago, which I thought is quite impressive seeing that I'm 15.1/2 stone and 6.3"!! Normally can cruise at 55 - 60 Mph on the flat (All the jet/carb mods done and the EGR blanked off) and running a smaller rear sprocket.

Also had fun overtaking trucks and caravans on the M5 motorway, but feels somewhat intimidating on the ACE!

HerbertD said:
Attained a genuine 73 Mph / 116Kph (verified by my Garmin sat-nav) on the A30 (downhill towards Exeter airport) a few weeks ago, which I thought is quite impressive seeing that I'm 15.1/2 stone and 6.3"!! Normally can cruise at 55 - 60 Mph on the flat (All the jet/carb mods done and the EGR blanked off) and running a smaller rear sprocket.

Also had fun overtaking trucks and caravans on the M5 motorway, but feels somewhat intimidating on the ACE!

That's a nice stretch of road 8)

My experience is pretty much the same (egr removed, rejetted, sprorts exhaust, air filter, POSH CDI etc however I'm on the standard sprocket. Acewll calibtrated against the GArmin and around the same weight but a few inches shorter)

touched 72mph on the downhill run from Buxton to Ashboune

Sits at 50-56 comfortably all day

have seen 64mph tucked down on the flat on a long staright & flat stretch of dual carriageway

All of whiich ties in with the way they're geared, I would imagine you're pulling lower RPM

http://www.aceowners.net/gears.php

Fotr those that don't follow Adrian from OO Racing on FB

Finished for now, Dyno run and shake down tested, pulled an amazing 88 mph but it’s a little over geared with a 17T 34T ratio, will run with a 16T on the road. Just wanted to than you all for your comments, off to stick a turbo on something.!

88mph is 141kph

After new Jets, Race CDI & 17t front, I did a quick blat down the highway and easily reached 100kph, I beleive that once it's warmed up and I have my proper riding gear on, my Ace should easily do 120kph, oh and my dry weight is about 95kg, so add 5-7kg for clothes.

Scratch that, I think I went one step too far, now I will have to back track to find out what I did wrong.

Previously the bike would top out and reach 95kph reasonably easy.
I have now changed the jets, CDI, cog.
In one direction down the highway (pretty flat both directions) I toped out at 105kph (trailing a 4wd & tail wind). coming back I would reach max at 80kph in 4th, pop it into 5th then slowy die down to around 73/75kph before popping it back into 4th and getting up to 80-82kph.

Seems to me it has lost too much power in top gear and cannot reach it's full speed.

Possibly the jets are the wrong numbers? how do you know what you need?, as I didn't advise ooracing of any jet size, so they just sent what they recommended.

I don't really want to change the cog back as I think it should be able to handle, but adjust the jets to get the right amount of juice.

I guess a plug chop will show me if i'm too lean...

I'm still running standard gearing
but have chinese mukini carb, no cat and blocked egr
wont change anything till I get taco fitted
and can see whats happening
saying that, I'm thinking 16 tooth front cog at this point
would be a good balance for my 85 kegs and area that I ride :p
Cheers ACEitup

Attachments

• photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 697
85 kmh to 95kmh was achievable with standard exhaust but modified exhaust and jets made 120kmh achievable flat out(thought i was doing 110kmh, but other riders told me it was that bit quicker.was laying flat on tank.. was not trying to go any faster than 110kmh.) essentially ran out of gears .

85-95 on a flat road. We don't have flat roads here. I live in the north of Vermland (Norra Värmland) Sweden. It is quite hilly over here. Allowed topspeed 80 or 90 km/hour. Without the hills a standard bike should 'work'...
So you have to 'tune' the engine, won't you guys have problems with your motorcycle insurance. And of course you loose your warranty. In Sweden every second year you must have controlled (technical state) your motorcycle in order to be allowed to drive it on the road. Won't you have a problem when you replace the original exhaust with katalyser for one without one?Not only the decibels but also more exhaust gasses? Oops, many qeustions.
Greetings from Fred

Hi Fred

Dunno about Oz but here in the UK we seem to be pretty lucky in that insurance companies will accept 'specials' and it is even possible for us to build true 'one offs' and get what is called 'Single Vehicle Type Approval'.
New vehicles are exempt from test (called TUV in Germany MOT in UK) for three years, then it is every year but they don't, as yet, test exhaust emissions on bikes or noise levels, however you can be stopped by the Police for noise but it generally has to be ridiculous.

Speaking with my German and Dutch friends we seem to be also lucky in the fact that typically the Police are pretty friendly and as long as you are not being a total twat, treat you fairly and don't check every last detail. The same goes for the MOT - I take pride in the fact that no bike of mine has ever failed an MOT but I also respect the tester and make sure everything is in good order. If it got 'heavy' over here I am sure the drill would be to put the Cat etc. back on for the MOT and then take it off again but this may not work in Sweden....

As for warranty who gives a shit - in my experience it's the same old story if you are straight with people they are straight with you - if I blow my motor after tuning it it's my fault and I would not insult the dealer by approaching them - if my tank splits after 3 months I'd ask for a new one and I'm sure they would be fine with it. Again it will be different for you but we also have laws which deal with this - The sale of goods act - which means that to a degree things are covered

At the end of it all I am a lucky guy. For me this bike is a cheap, fun, hobby thing that I don't have to rely on or worry too much about - it is great way to meet people out on the road and this forum just adds to the enjoyment - talking to people on the other side of the world about bikes!! What could be better? If you can Fred buy one and jump in.... it's ACE!! :)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom