XS750 to XS896 big bore

A basic question.
Should there be 12v going to the primary coil when the ignition is on?
Currently I have 0v going to the primary coil (green & brown wires)
Any help greatly appreciated!

XS750AU said:
A basic question.
Should there be 12v going to the primary coil when the ignition is on?
Currently I have 0v going to the primary coil (green & brown wires)
Any help greatly appreciated!
Should be 1.8v i think.. rising with the revs. All that hard liquor i had to drink while fixing it destroyed my memory! you definitely want some voltage through the field coil, it should be able to grip a size 10 spanner with ignition on, engine off.
Otherwise you will have no magnetization of the rotor and no charging.

Should be 1.8v i think
Can't have been too much alcohol, as you are spot on. According to the manual.
Brown to earth should be 12V and is. Green to earth should be 1.8V and is 12v - this is the problem. :'( looks like I need a new regulator. There needs to be a voltage difference between brown and green to generate the magnetic field apparently! ::)
On the positive the gear shift was not leaking - it was the final drive bearing cover which needed nipping up.
Machined up the speedo sensor bracket. So now everything is done except fixing the charging issue.

Attachments

• Sensor brkt.jpg
    Sensor brkt.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Sensor.jpg
    Sensor.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 236
Sounds like a burned regulator indeed. I experienced that the brown and green wires had been switched on my previous 750, after switching them around it worked perfectly.

Sounds like a burned regulator indeed.
Thanks Dave - new regulator ordered from Yambits, They were the only supplier who specified they used Japanese diodes. Unlike the current regulator which was a Chinese $50 special.

XS750AU said:
Thanks Dave - new regulator ordered from Yambits, They were the only supplier who specified they used Japanese diodes. Unlike the current regulator which was a Chinese $50 special.
Yes, ive had chinese stuff (electrosport) crap out after 5 minutes of running, got it replaced and same story again. Let the smoke out almost immediately, and since it was more than one year after initial purchase(with about 15 minutes total run time) i did not receive a second replacement. Do not shop from electrosport fellows..
The NOS regulator i found still works brilliantly.

Rectifier & Regulator from Yambits arrived today.
I have plugged it in and am now getting 12v on the brown wire and 1v on the green = looking good ;D
I did not start the bike, as I have not set up the petcocks on the fuel tank yet. We will see over the weekend. ;)

Shit, shit, shit, I think I am finished!!! What am I going to do now??? Lucky I have the IT200 to rebuild ;)
Oil leaks are fixed, charging is working (14.3v), tank and petcocks (rebuilt originals) are all working. And best of all it sounds awesome ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• Finished 1.jpg
    Finished 1.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Finished 2.jpg
    Finished 2.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Finished 3.jpg
    Finished 3.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Finished 4.jpg
    Finished 4.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 581
  • Finished 5.jpg
    Finished 5.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Finished 6.jpg
    Finished 6.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 241
You have been nominated by yours truly for BOTM.

I am humbled that you think it is worthy of nomination. There are some bikes on this forum that have a lot more creativity than mine.
Thank you.

Wow, What an amazing and thorough job...with everything. Nicely done bud.
Took me a while to get through all of it. 8)

Back
Top Bottom