78 kz400 cafe build

What color should I paint my headlight bucket?????

• Red

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Silver with red and white stripes (match tank)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks man! Its always good to hear that other people are building Kz's. The right tools do make all the difference in the world. Good luck on your build!

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
lace005.jpg
lace006.jpg
What's with the wrinkle paint? Why not a gloss - I'm curious because I mistook it for grime at first, had to go back and re-read. Maybe it looks nicer in person?

I personally think it looks nice in person. I think the wrinkle finish really adds a look of quality. I have found gloss spray paint to look kinda cheap especially if it is not done correctly. This area was very hard to prep so I think it would have looked cheap if it was gloss. I defiantly wasn't going to polish this entire area. To each his own I guess.

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
I personally think it looks nice in person. I think the wrinkle finish really adds a look of quality. I have found gloss spray paint to look kinda cheap especially if it is not done correctly. This area was very hard to prep so I think it would have looked cheap if it was gloss. I defiantly wasn't going to polish this entire area. To each his own I guess.
Hm I'm really curious. I want to see it in person. I might pick up a can of that wrinkle paint and try it out. I'm assuming an advanced auto or pepboys would carry it? Also, any particular reason you didn't make your own handlebars? If I'm remembering correctly, you mentioned something about welding?

I wanted stainless steel and I found a guy who could tig weld them and ship them to me for less than the cost of materials if i were to do it myself. So that was a no brainier. Yes you can buy the paint at advanced auto.

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
I wanted stainless steel and I found a guy who could tig weld them and ship them to me for less than the cost of materials if i were to do it myself. So that was a no brainier. Yes you can buy the paint at advanced auto.

Oh nice. Any advantage to stainless steel bars? I only ask because I want to make my own with specific angle and everything. Thanks!

Thanks napalm. I was refering to the carb jets. I used 108 main jet and 82 pilot jet. I hope this helps. Let me know. Thanks.

Ahhh... I see now. You were saying the stock were 90 and 70 and that you were using 108 and 82. My bad. I didn't understand at first. Thanks you so much. I'm gonna give those numbers a try.

So you replaced the 90 with 108 an the 70 with 82? Did you change out your pilot? I'm sorry for so many questions. We pretty much have the exact same set up and I've been looking everywhere for answers and this is the closest I've come.

Yup, I did exactly what you described. It runs great but I think it has a little more potential on te top end. It's always best to stay on the Rich side.

I apologize. I'm confused now. Haha... So you changed both the main and the secondary main to the 108? But then changed the pilots to the 82. Did I get that correct? Basically I should get 4 main jets to replace the the 4 90 mains and 2 82 pilots to replace the 2 70? Again, I apologize.

http://www.kz400.com/TechnicaltipsFrameset.html

So #60 and #65 on the diagram would be changed to 108- 115? And #61 would be 82?

Haha carbs are confusing. The link didn't work for me but.....no. I only changed the main jets and pilot or "slow jet". So I only changed two jets per carb. That is all you need to do most of the time ( with mild mods) at least that has been my experience. So in each carb I changed my main jet to 108 and my pilot or "slow jet" to 82. So to do the whole job I bought 4 jets. A total of about $18. Others may have a different opinion on this. I am not an expert by any means. There are also some really good threads on here about jetting and tuning. They really helpe me while I was learning. I hope this cleared things up for you. It really is easy once you tinker around with jetting a bit.

Haha... Right on. Well the diagram I had a link to was showing that there was a main jet, secondary main jet, and a pilot jet (slow) that has a little rubber plug that goes in with it. I didn't know if you changed all of them or what.

I use to own a 74 cb750 that had pods and needed re jetted, and I did, but for some reason that seemed easier. Maybe because there wasn't a main and a secondary and blah blah. But the big issue with me is I don't want to spend a ton of money on all these jets trying to figure out which ones work and which don't an end having like $60 in parts I don't need. Haha... Oh well, I guess you gotta pay to play...

Thanks again for your time. I'll just order a few and see what works best.

Back
Top Bottom