1973 1/2 BMW R60/5 restoration.

Holy crap! Seriously? That would be amazing. Ill pay ya for them for sure, because they're hens teeth to find, but they're proper for my /5.

I got them for a very very good price if I recall. Cover off the shipping and consider it a small token of my personal appreciation for everything you have and continue to do for DTT.

It's a set of 6 signals, all complete. 2 of them are a little worse for wear but you should be able to make a fine set of 4 easily and have spare lenses/internal parts left over.

DSC07350_zps5c83feb3.jpg

DSC07346_zps91f973e8.jpg

Man, that is just amazing. Tim, you have been an incredible contributor to this BMW. What a lot of you folks don't know is that tim gave me a minty /6 seat because my pan was roached. You just seriously made my day!

Just finished repacking them and will shoot them down. Honestly, I got this set of signals and 2 brand new Karcoma petcocks - with the straight spigot, not the 90 degree one, for a really good price from a guy in Canada off Kijiji. Just a total fluke - searched 'BMW' one day under motorcycles and here were these parts for really really cheap.

For what I paid, I could sell the 2 petcocks and cover my cost (but they're nice to have as spares). Just promise we'll go on a BMW tour sometime in the next couple of years.

Re: Re: 1973 1/2 BMW R60/5 restoration.

Tim said:
Just promise we'll go on a BMW tour sometime in the next couple of years.

That's friend is a deal. I'm serious about the northern loop tour. That's in the works as we speak. I have every intention of having this old girl done by the summer. I'll be cruising in 1970s luxury to barbers this year!

looking real good brother, just now realized your thread. I'm tuned in for sure.

Thanks Junior! Labor of love for sure.

From dilapidated house to restored beauty...I hope!

Looks great Kiley...glad to see you working on her. ( So is Jim. Lol ). When you get to the forks and shocks let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks Doug! Its really calling to me lately to do a long haul bike, and this BMW really speaks to me. The whole story behind it is just one of those "Vincent in the barn" type things. I plan on riding it back to where i got it when I'm done. The story is, the young guy who owns the property took it over in disrepair after his dad died. His dad was the only Suzuki dealer in Alabama in the 70s, and he amassed quite the collection of bikes over the years. His son came in and got all of the "good" ones out of the property, but there were still some old bikes stashed here and there around the property. I broke into a dilapidated old house there and found the beemer inside. Its still titled in his fathers name. I think it would mean a lot to him to see it restored. And Doug, I am there now. Rear shocks are shot, going to need replaced, but the front forks are very nice and just need rebuilt. Ill take all of the pointers I can get!

Just wait till you open up those front shocks! They have oil scraping rings, like on your pistons. A billion moving parts in true BMW tradition. Not your 3 piece Honda jobbies.

Re: Re: 1973 1/2 BMW R60/5 restoration.

Tim said:
Just wait till you open up those front shocks! They have oil scraping rings, like on your pistons. A billion moving parts in true BMW tradition. Not your 3 piece Honda jobbies.

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking of going to office depot and getting the exploded front fork fiche blown up to poster size before I tear into these things! They're laying here mocking me.

Jim went with Ikon's ( series 7614 aluminum body and rebound adjustment ). He loves them, but not the cheapest option...
http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/product_ranges/7614_series_shocks.shtml

Not looking for cheap. Don't want to be in the middle of Ontario on a cheap quality shock! The predecessor of those (Koni) was very popular back in the day. Good choice.

Oh yes! RealOEM is the business! Thanks for the manual, I've been looking for a digital version. My buddy Phil have me these which are awesome. A vintage Clymer, and a nice repro shop manual..very useful, and he is a BMW guru, so that's handy.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363972903740.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363972903740.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 633
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363972912283.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363972912283.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 634
Doug, Bob's is awesome. I considered a set of his shocks, what do you think of them...supposedly look original, but modern components.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bobs-replica-shocks-pair-for-1974-76-6--r90s

Yeah, I should get new shocks for mine - although I do have a nice set of RAM rear shocks on my XS650 that might be the right length.... can only ride one at a time ;)

There you go Tim....they have to be close! I'd go RAM, but unfortunately, $800 shocks would more than blow the budget. I know my stock shocks are shot, so I'm in the market.

Back
Top Bottom