1977 XS750 to XS885D - For sale for real this time

Frankenfries

Been Around the Block
I bought this bike in November of 2010 and have made steady progress. I have build thread I started over on the Yamaha triples forum that is a few months old (http://www.yamaha-triples.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15589&start=26&posts=39), but I will be updating both threads going forward.

Below are some pics of the bike as I bought it, halfway through, and complete (more photos in the latest post). The only change being that I decided to switch from drag bars to clubmans, which was the original vision but I wanted to try out the drag bars. The front end is currently off the bike at Racetech to be lowered 2 inches, and have new springs and emulator valves installed.... so I don't have pics of the latest front end set-up.

What has been done so far (Updated 5/11/13):
Detabbed and looped the frame
Powdercoated the frame and calipers gunmetal gray
Powdercoated everything else black (wheels gloss, everything else semi-gloss). Including fork lowers, and chopped front fender.
Every bearing has been replaced
Anything rebuildable has been rebuilt
Every wear item has been replaced (EBC pads, clutch, etc)
Black SS lines
Drag bars
Antigravity battery
LED brake lights
New Nissin Radial 19mm front master cylinder with ASV Lever
ASV Clutch Lever
New 5.5 inch headlight
Tomaselli throttle and grips
New Forks by Frank tubes
Racetech modified and lowered forks
New NOS Left fork lower
Custom fabbed a seat pan from 16 gauge steel
Got the seat custom upholstered
The tank is fully restored, sealed, and custom painted in original colors (except the dark blue is now black), no vinyl.
Custom fabbed a battery box to fit a small Antigravity battery and all core wiring components.
Almost every nut and bolt is new.
Carbs rebuilt by Syder Cycleworks
Engine work (XS850 SG engine):
Bored out 885 to accept wiseco over bored pistons
Copper gasket
Transmission undercut by Fast by Gast
Repainted with VHT Case/Barrell paint
All new seals/hoses/bearings
Complete overhaul of the head
New OEM Gas Cap disassembled and powder coated black
Starter removed and plugged
Wiring - major
Fender - I still need to fab up a new inner fender for the rear
Raask rearsets
MAC 3 into 1 Exhast
Lockhart Oil Cooler Plate mated to Pro One Oil Cooler

Here is a video of it starting up for the first time:

http://www.howtomotorcyclerepair.com/77-xs750-first-start-up/

Attachments

• Wreck.JPG
    Wreck.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,891
  • Middle.JPG
    Middle.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,924
  • Complete Shot.jpg
    Complete Shot.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,001
  • RearXS885.jpg
    RearXS885.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 705
Re: 1977 XS750D - XS885D

Here are some more pics of the current state.

A shot of the seat pan before upholstery, a rear shot showing the LED brake lights, and a shot of the front. It's hard to get a good shot in the tight space that I'm building this bike in.

Attachments

• FrontShot.jpg
    FrontShot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 724
  • RearShot.jpg
    RearShot.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 612
  • Seat pan.jpg
    Seat pan.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,073

Always liked those bikes,and you are doing one heck of a job.If your headpipes don't clean up there are some real nice ceramic coatings out there.What is the Newtronics box for? The 850 motor should have been oem electronic ignition.Frame color is perfect.It should be a real stump puller with the Wiseco kit.10.25/1 compression?

Some better shots of the tank and freshly painted cases.

Attachments

• Cases.jpg
    Cases.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 812
  • TankClose.jpg
    TankClose.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 739

I (TripleYam) have been following your build over at Yamaha Triples. I just purchsed a 79 XS750 and have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't have bought this one. Its better off as a parts bike. :-[

Your bike is looking sweet! Keep up the good work.

this is kick ass! ive done 2 yamaha triples myself. ive done a 78 xs750 and a 79 xs850.

jimmer said:
Always liked those bikes,and you are doing one heck of a job.If your headpipes don't clean up there are some real nice ceramic coatings out there.What is the Newtronics box for? The 850 motor should have been oem electronic ignition.Frame color is perfect.It should be a real stump puller with the Wiseco kit.10.25/1 compression?

Thanks. I bought the newtronics kit half price on E-Bay before fully assesing the sorry state of the 750 engine I had and deciding to get the 850 motor. It was one of the first things I bought for the bike in my early project hysteria.

That looks good. You will probably be done with yours before I am finished with mine.

I got my oil cooler in today and tried a test fit. I ended up ordering a Pro-One oil cooler. It's more of a chopper/HD part, but it solved my problem, and I liked the look. It also has a temp gauge mounted directly too it, which will come in handy. I have an XS850 engine in an XS750D frame. The XS850 runs a factory oil cooler, the XS750D does not. The frame was already powder coated before I decided I really needed an oil cooler. The Pro-One seemed to be the most elegant solution. It is a heavy duty SOB. I am probably gaining back the starter weight with this piece. It is nicely made. I also got the stock breather box into my Henry Abe filter, so I can just run the breather hose directly to the air box. I lose a little bit of filter area, so it isn't the perfect solution. I need to change out the filter foam this weekend. I ordered some UNI 65PPI foam and 3M spray adhesive.

Attachments

• AbeL.jpg
    AbeL.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 2,428
  • OilL.jpg
    OilL.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 2,392

Well, after messing with the Henry Abe filter, getting the stock breather in, putting in new filter material, and getting the rubbers in ... I've decided that it is junk. With the rubbers, the breather box, and the spacer, the airflow seems terribly cluttered up. The rubbers go halfway into the filter box. I just can't imagine this thing breathing well. After spending a serious amount of time tuning the complete intake tract on cars, I just can't see how this 30 year old over simplified filter box won't cause a heap of headaches. I'd love to see someone show me that a single horsepower was gained throwing the abe box on. It has a great vintage look to it, but I can't rationalize it. I'm going to go with UNIs with black caps and a valve and simple filter for the breather.

Thanks for all the positive comments. It's a patient labor of love. I've been knocking out one thing at a time. I fabbed up a mount for the speedo last week for an inexpensive mini speedo. It's the unit sold at dime city, mikesxs, and a few other places. I briefly debated going all out on a motogadget unit, but that wouldn't really match the character of the build, and because I was planning on running a regular speedo, a kept the gauge mounts on the triple tree. I needed to put something there. Below is a pic of where the speedo will sit, the actual mount is at the powder coaters with my engine side covers.

I also got the carbs back from Spyder Cycleworks. He did an excellent job. He's a one man shop out of TX that does carb restorations. The UNI filters came in. I couldn't find any with black caps, only chrome, and they only come in pairs.

The bottom pic shows my shortened bars with 2" chopped off each end.

Attachments

• DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 405
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 448
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 405
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 383

My project for the weekend are the pegs. I am not going to run rearsets. I had been debating going cafe with clip ons and rear sets, or going with the brat/wrenchmonkees look with the drag bars and both sets of pegs, which was the original plan. I settled on the latter. I want to be able to ride two up on short trips with the wife.

I picked up some nice knurled black R6 pegs off Amazon and was determined to make them work. The rears fit perfectly in the stock mounts. The fronts are going to take a little work. Below are pics of the gaps in the front pegs and one of the pegs screwed on to get an idea of how it looks on the bike. Both front and rear will use the stock mounts. I have to fab up and weld in a little spacer so that the front will sit properly in the mount. I won't be able to use a tension spring in the front mounts, so I'll use some spacers and spring washers to keep it tight.

Attachments

• DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 378
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 423
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 363

nice job on the tank man. looks better then factory. the seat, tank and bars combo looks killer.

Back
Top Bottom