New Jersey sr500 tracker/scrambler

DohcBikes said:
trophy trucks have 20" of TRAVEL and still have CLEARANCE.

How come you cant find 2"?

im thinking about a fiberglass seat pan now (bulged fender flares/bed sides) but that would mean less padding on the rear passenger seat, but I can make up for that by having the seat for the passenger thicker and then step it down for the look im after anyway. so id take the shocks off let the frame sit on the tire make a mold over that with the fiberglass... do you see any flaws in this plan? im still thinking about a 13 or 13.5 inch shock but I haven't searched enough to see the effect it will have on everything.

Nj732port said:
im thinking

Oh shit we got him thinkin, how bout that.

I like your idea. Give me a while to go back through your thread and make some specific suggestions for your project. Now that you kinda have a plan on how you wanna do it, there might be some more people with input.

The pics above are all sideways and quite a bit too close to get the whole picture could you please post some that show the whole rig right side up, thanks

DohcBikes said:
Oh shit we got him thinkin, how bout that.

I like your idea. Give me a while to go back through your thread and make some specific suggestions for your project. Now that you kinda have a plan on how you wanna do it, there might be some more people with input.

it was all that talk about trophy trucks, love those damn things!

You need to swoop the frame up. You mentioned a passenger seat so depending on how burly you like your girlfriends that's another 100pounds plus on the tail, cantilevered off the back. You may need her to ride backwards depending on the ratio of her boobs to butt to make sure you have enough travel to support the moment of her mass distribution.

236aff6b1d3ac715de19f99828e8af43.jpg

Tire came in with some bullet connectors... Any idea what I could use for a panel beater bag? And I have to go buy beer cause the basement is far from the keg!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 390
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 381
I welded bolts on to the seat pan but one of the welds broke so I was stuck trying to dremel off the bolt/nut. Finally got it cut and started to make my tunnel, I lost my kick up and not too sure of how to get it back I'm going to mess with it some more in a couple hours, any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! What do you think of my seat pan so far?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 396
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 390
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 392
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 377
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    891 KB · Views: 396
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    901.5 KB · Views: 391
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    928.3 KB · Views: 397
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 384
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    901.9 KB · Views: 390
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    734.4 KB · Views: 387
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,005 KB · Views: 389
The dome you created is an embossment- used to strengthen flat sheets of metal from oil canning. You are trying to replicate a stamping design using a teeny hammer. Not going to work.

I would elongate the dome you have created. Make it about 6-inches long. Cut it out leaving about 1/4" of flange around it. Create a second kick up plate. Trace cut out dome on new kick up place. Cut out and weld in. Now you have replicated a stamping.

redwillissuperman said:
The dome you created is an embossment- used to strengthen flat sheets of metal from oil canning. You are trying to replicate a stamping design using a teeny hammer. Not going to work.

I would elongate the dome you have created. Make it about 6-inches long. Cut it out leaving about 1/4" of flange around it. Create a second kick up plate. Trace cut out dome on new kick up place. Cut out and weld in. Now you have replicated a stamping.

This is exactly why I was coming back on here! Won't the tunnel be too rigid to bend to the new kicked up tail? I could prob do relief cuts and fill them in grind it down and make it pretty

im just absolutely tickled that you are learning a new skill based on your reaction to criticism. way to go man.

DohcBikes said:
im just absolutely tickled that you are learning a new skill based on your reaction to criticism. way to go man.

Got a decent shape for it so far cutting it out and the cut off wheel ran out so I gotta get some more tried using the grinding wheel but quickly realized it's not happening hahaha

What kinda band are you in?

Nj732port said:
Got a decent shape for it so far cutting it out and the cut off wheel ran out so I gotta get some more tried using the grinding wheel but quickly realized it's not happening hahaha

What kinda band are you in?
It's my brothers band, i'm the stage and equipment manager as well as security. He has been playing drums since he was in diapers and he is legitimately as good as any drummer in any band in history. He plays neil pert and vinnie paul like playing a record. They have a female lead and they do covers of all kinds. Yes, cover band. That's where the money's at if you dont have or want an in to the big time.

DohcBikes said:

He responds positively to your constructive criticism,that's rare.

grcamna5 said:

I do appreciate the criticism, especially from people who have the know how to get this stuff done and done right...

I did not like my outcome for the seat pan this weekend, I will save the piece I made but I think im going to make a second attempt with some fiberglass this week, I think it will be easier for someone who is new to all of this and doesn't have the ability or tools to shape it out of metal....yet..

im about to search for some threads on working with fiberglass for seat pans but if someone has any outside sources or a good source in general feel free to post.

grcamna5 said:

Maybe due to DoHCs comments/critique being positively backed up with logic/solutions to support his concerns. Whereas others* on here are just bluntly rude which is a shame.

* No names no packdrill, they know who they are...haha!

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/6_oz_Fabric_38_inch_wide_259/Fiberglass_Fabric
http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Polyester_Molding_Resin_just_resin_77/Polyester_Resins

well these are the seat pan materials im about to order, hopefully someone chimes in on whether or not this is the right combo if not ill be calling them on my lunch break to make sure this is what I need to get this seat done.

My plan is let the seat hoop rest on top of the tire so I will have the shape I need for clearance mask off everything and form my seat right on top of the frame/tire. im going to use carriage bolts and glass them in to mount the seat.

any flaws in my plan please let me know

Started to mask off what I need to now I'm just brain storming ideas for the shape and ways of adding a brake light and plate holder in a similar position that it's in now. Might make a little pocket to fit electronics better.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    847.6 KB · Views: 369
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    981 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    988.4 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    923.9 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    793.9 KB · Views: 361
Didn't do much besides buy the fiberglass supplies and do the aluminum tape on top of the blue.

I'm trying to figure out the front portion of the seat, I don't know how to get it to mate up with the tank some suggestions would be great!

I'll hopefully find a solution between tonight and tomorrow night when I plan on actually laying down the first couple layers of mat and figuring out where to glass in the carriage bolts for mounting.

I think I got fiberglass on my ear....:(

I took pics of the front area that I need to cover up and mate up to the gas tank and there's a couple of pics of the seat style I'm going for.

I would try and use aluminum foil if I did another one, probably heavy duty grilling foil

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    698.4 KB · Views: 369
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 369
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 373
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 370
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    726 KB · Views: 375
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 364
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    801.7 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    812.6 KB · Views: 364
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    778.4 KB · Views: 360
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 371
  • image.png
    image.png
    982.6 KB · Views: 372
nice work ! use lamin ating resin it allows you days to get it done and is easier tio work with by far than finsh coat resin with wax which must be done in one shot,wet
the laminating resin stays open and sticky like flypaper soon after it kicks and allows the next layer of cloth,use fabric weave along witha alterayting chopped mat do not use all mat therte is no strength in mat )
it allows the next layer to be layed down in place with clean dry hands abd then you fill it until clear ,repeat after it kicks
once you get several layers ,do not skimp, if you try to make it light it wont last a season,the final layer can then be filled with finishing coat resin
if you use the finish coat and try to layup another layer after it has kicked off well the partt will not be strong bevauise they wax in the finishh resin will not allow a proper bond
the wax is the diff between the 2 without the wax it bwould never bec ome not sticky,exclusion of air is what allo=ws full non sticky cure
you can easily verifyu wheel travel by only having one in place witrh its spring cam on soft then use a ratchet strap on that side only to lash mit up tight on the bumper
you should leave an inch to the tire from that, if you ever get good shocks they will likely have a bit more shaft travel

The seat base and the seat foam are two different things. The foam is usually sculpted to match the tank.

I would consider creating the base to go over the tank mount. Use a piece of scrap wood the same shape and height as the tank mount and bolt + some clearance. Tape it down in place and then tape over it.
***remember you are just creating positive space that will form the underside of the seat***

Back
Top Bottom