XS1100 Bob concept

Fix

With a shirt like this, who needs pants?
I'm playing with photoshop to get a feel for what I'm looking for. I don't have welding skill, or equipment, so anything I do will either have to preclude welding or be done by someone else. As I'm sure quality welding is out of my budget, here's what I have so far.

YamahaXS1100782copy.jpg

I'd need to come up with a rear fender (or chop and repurpose the existing) and figure out the signals, but what do you guys think of the basic shape?

Not bad at all! If you swap in a Virago 750/920 (perhaps others too) swing arm/drive section you get a couple inch stretch out back that's pretty much a bolt on. It'll also drop the rear end a bit with the stock length shock on there and the pumpkin on that setup has more highway oriented gears. Dig up another rear wheel and sling it up front with some chubby tires and you're well on your way......don't need to weld to build a cool bike mate!

Thanks for the tip! As luck would have it, I just got handed a bonus check at work, so I'll start looking for that rear drive.

man i have to be honest, looks like you just hacked off the back, that is not bob that is just unfinished... something has to complete the look just stopping after the seat is not only dangerous, but just looks incomplete

JRK5892 said:
man i have to be honest, looks like you just hacked off the back, that is not bob that is just unfinished... something has to complete the look just stopping after the seat is not only dangerous, but just looks incomplete

That and dropped the bars, yup. Which is why I posted here. Any suggestions?

edit: and to be clear, if I wasn't in the first post, that's just a picture I edited in photoshop. I haven't done anything to the bike yet. I'm trying to get a picture in my head before I start anything.

This is how my bike sits now :

PICT0161.jpg

I've also got a '79 special in parts, so I'm really just trying to get some brainstorming done.

Thanks!

All my ideas involve welding. If you want to go welding free, I would cafe it. With the front fairing and rear seat like it is you could come up with a cool little cafe for very little work/money.

If you want a bobber there are a couple really cool ones in this section that you could pull from. Without welding puts some limitations on it, but even cutting the end off you will need to weld some sort of brace in there anyway.

Check out the ballistic cruze mule build it is prob a little out there for what you have described but smooth. there is another build that comes to mind but I cannot remember whose so if I find it I will give you the link.

Keep toying with the look and what you want. I have never welded before january and do not own a welder. I took a welding practice class at the local community college and they had all the equipment I needed to build my frame,
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=13211.0
GEt a plan and figure out what resources you can scrounge up. You might be surprised what you can find.

Thanks, never considered a community college for learning to weld. I'll check out some builds too,

As I have a xs1100 I'll just let you know that your options (wheels and tanks) are very limited. If I had it to do over again I'd leave my xs1100 alone and would have bought a more mod freindly bike. (xs650, cb750,)

Here is the other build I was thinking of.
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=12193.130

You could do a similar design without TOO MUCH fabrication, but still a fair share. you could probably cut the rear hoop and move it in for behind the seat and remount the shock mounts.

There are a ton of ways you can go with the bike

how about cutting the seat pan and dropping that down?
somethign like this i did on the cb350, dropped the seat pan 2.5, give it a wicked stance! and was super easy to do. because you do not mess with the bck bone or the main supports you do not need a jig to do it

pskra.jpg

wo9yr.jpg

JRK5892 said:
how about cutting the seat pan and dropping that down?
somethign like this i did on the cb350, dropped the seat pan 2.5, give it a wicked stance! and was super easy to do. because you do not mess with the bck bone or the main supports you do not need a jig to do it

Sharp! Nice lines on that. I'll check out your other thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

Based on JRK5892's suggestion, how feasible is this?

frame.jpg

Still want to cut those tails off. The circled area is the seat pan. I need to get better pics tonight, but if I'm thinking drop the seat pan, or angle it down to flow better with the back bone. I'm kinda stuck with tanks, with the double back bone, but there is a "Special" tank that's more sloped. I need to find pictures and do some more mock-ups.

This is NOT my bike, but you can see that there's already a brace behind the seat stock.

frame1.jpg

The hope is, a small frame mod like this will be less expensive to hire out. On that note, anyone know a good welder in SE Michigan?

super easy, just cut the pan area, heat and bend down the rails and then tack it down... will look trick!
then use a sporty fender on back and you can create something like this
ne9m6t.jpg

JRK5892 said:
super easy, just cut the pan area, heat and bend down the rails and then tack it down... will look trick!
then use a sporty fender on back and you can create something like this
ne9m6t.jpg

That would be tits and nipples! Thanks for the help!

If you wanna go crazy, go take a look at the rear suspension on the 'Ballistic Cruize Mule" build here.
Hack off the whole rear portion of the frame and sling a solo seat off the back of the backbone section on a loop!

well ill chime in again, as some of you know we build choppers, bobbers, all sorts of stuff...matter of fact a xs1100 chopper/bobber only we did somethin a little different...used the front end and mated the rear shaft of the kawasaki buecause it has a bigger beefy rear end...and let me tell you this freaking thing flies...
we call it the cash bike kuz its all black, or the yamasaki...ill get some pics up tomarrow when i find em or snap a few..

First, that's shit hot.

Second, how'd you mate a kawa drive shaft? Did you have to cut splines?

Third, Is that a sporty fender shoved forward? I like that look.

Forth, did you weld a new backbone, or is that tank cut for two tunnels?

Nuff questions, thanks for posting it. The xs1100 motor is a beast for being 30 years old.

Back
Top Bottom