How DO ThEY DO THAT?

Your kidding right...?

EDIT: I see Lee already addressed the ridiculousness of doing this
Nope, I'm not kidding. That was the idea that I came up with at the time and thats what I believe is what I would do in that situation. Sure, the shock is under pressure and could potentially explode due to excessive heat from welding. Sure, the spring may heat up too much and therefore change its properties no longer giving it a "spring" characteristic. All things you must take into consideration. I have welded on springs with success and not so much success. In fact, I rewelded hooks onto the original springs that support the saddle on my dads 1946 James with SUCCESS! Did I mention I wasnt kidding?

Caf'd Out said:
Nope, I'm not kidding. That was the idea that I came up with at the time and thats what I believe is what I would do in that situation. Sure, the shock is under pressure and could potentially explode due to excessive heat from welding. Sure, the spring may heat up too much and therefore change its properties no longer giving it a "spring" characteristic. All things you must take into consideration. I have welded on springs with success and not so much success. In fact, I rewelded hooks onto the original springs that support the saddle on my dads 1946 James with SUCCESS! Did I mention I wasnt kidding?

It's still retarded. Too bad you were'nt.

Aaaaannd, Lous back. The fact is caf'd, welding a shock is pretty much giving youself a 5% cance of survival without maiming at best. The spring really isnt the issue. Its the highly presurized fluid within the sealed metal tube thats gonna fuck your day up. Heat + any pressurized fluid = BOOM. Somethings gotta give and in the case of a shock, it'll probobly be a chunk of your face.

Making a strut out of a shock so it looks like it still performs the function of a shock, but doesn't is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Advising that some one should use this idea is even worse.

"Dude, check out that sweet foe swing arm bike bruh"

Pbbbbffffffttt......... REAL NICE!

clearly 99% of you dbags dont live in PA..
vonbiker fill them in..

heck i could bottom that out about 15x a ride..
without getting into road conditions,, i frequently look like evil kenevil getting air off road kill.

Caf'd Out said:
a shock IS OIL UNDER PRESSURE in a steel tube i dont think you understand the OIL UNDER PRESSURE part but if you reworked a what ever 1940 something seat im sure you are skilled enuff. Im not the guy to talk any body outta anything but my sugestion is this, sell tickets put me down for two what is your paypal. ok we both know this is not the best idea you have had today, but me and you will make that our little secret.

I don't know anything about PA but I live in Canada and pretty much all our roads are beat. And it's not like I'm pussy footing around when I ride the thing. But I am a light weight.

Everyone has their own opinion. Someday I'll be a professional like you lot and can bash everyone for their "rediculousness". I guess my 2 pennies weren't enough to win this crowd. Better luck next time. Sorry for the jack.

Caf'd Out said:
Everyone has their own opinion. Someday I'll be a professional like you lot and can bash everyone for their "rediculousness". I guess my 2 pennies weren't enough to win this crowd. Better luck next time. Sorry for the jack.

No man. Ill only speak for myself, but I wasn't bashing you.

That said, welding a shock is dangerous and a BAD idea. Thats not an opinion, thats a scientific fact.

No one here wants to see anyone get hurt, and the action you described will get someone hurt. Thats it. Nothing personal.

Some points need drove home. when people are going back and forth about clubman vs clip on or gas tank checked stripes who gives a shit but if safety is in question by more than one member you should rethink things not that anyone is a expert but come, on throw a 2L of soda on the ground once, that is what could happen but replace sode with hot oil and plastic with hunks of steel no one is out to got any one hurt dowg sorry if i come off the wrong way im a dick with a heart of gold in the end lol now back to polls about usd fork and 400mm brakes on bikes that wont go over 110 down hill

Hey Caf'd: Sorry it sparked a feeding frenzy, some of us have done this a while and have seen all manner or badness come from just such mods. If you're gonna do it the least you can do (no not sell tickets) would be to drill....slowly.....a hole in the body down near the base so that the fluid can run out and the tube will vent so that you don't get killed. The might have sparked an uncharacteristic bashing (for this place) but I think everyone really just doesn't want to hear that you've killed yourself doing something stupid.

Stick around, there's lots to learn here....I learn something new every time I log in....and as long as you don't cling to stupidity, your time here will be most pleasant.

Even though I think it's a really really stupid idea, I would get a few bump stops from automotive dampers and fit them inside spirngs on damper rod to limit trave;.
It would be a lot better than welding anything to a spring. As for being a professional someday, you may get paid for it, it won't make you professional until you have a professional attitude instead of shade tree/ghetto

I believe these type of bikes have been built for show. They may ride em a little but not for daily cruising...not on Illinois roads anyways. I have never adjusted my shocks past the softest setting. They got to be tweeked to the "broken tailbone" setting.

Back
Top Bottom