CX500 Street Tracker

Yup, the rear shock is off a GSXR.
But these shocks were never meant to go through a direct application but instead a linkage, could be why its so soft

not only will it be soft but the linkage multiply s the travel length

on a direct application you dont have enough travel to be useful

So I managed make a few spacers for centring the wheel.......had a vibration in the lathe to clear up cause it was causing a chatter in the cut and wasn't cutting smooth. The left side spacer still needs to be bored out for the axle but the right one is done.
Chucked up some 6061 for the spacers

IMG_1118_zpsprjvjywv.jpg

Left side spacer
IMG_1120_zpsqlrjvfi1.jpg

right side spacer
IMG_1121_zpsvxsez9po.jpg

I need a set that on the one side will press fit to a R6 axle all the way through the pinch to the bearing and a tight tolerance slip fit at the other end through the pinch to the bearing

So all the way through left to right The axle will go through it all, converting the GSXR to R6 S axle

IMG_1121_zpsvxsez9po.jpg

Kamn said:
just make a new axle, it will be easier Tune

I would, but the axle diameter for the R6S is smaller than both pinch points so one side has to be removable. I could just resize the right side pinch with a bushing I guess.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I would, but the axle diameter for the R6S is smaller than both pinch points so one side has to be removable. I could just resize the right side pinch with a bushing I guess.

Exactly, this is what I did with the axle, the right side a bushing that can compress around the axle, and then the usual spacers

I got it.

Your bushing is aluminum or brass? I could lash it all up and dimple it at 180 from the slit so it wont move pulling/pushing the axle.

the bushing is neither, its 4041 like the axle (and then will get CAD plated like the axle). Once its all pinched, its not going anywhere
will show pics when the machining is all done

So I finally got back to work on the little basterd and first thing was replacing the stator with a new one. My plan was to run this with the original ignition system which means I still have the ability to bump start the bike.
My apologies for the lack of good pics, Im bad at remembering to shoot a long the way. So here is a random rear of engine pic

IMG_1451_zps1ec2vhyn.jpg

And then to get this rolling I needed to get the rear subframe and seat area started, so I started with some 1" DOM tubing that I had already bent up when I first got the JD2 bender.

IMG_1455_zpshupanboo.jpg

And the front sections that will be welded to the spine of the bike are plugged with solid bar that I turned on the lathe to the ID of the Tubing and then welded to the seat hoop

IMG_1456_zpspenzqqez.jpg

Now to that mounted to the bike, and this isn't fully welded yet until I get the lower braces put in and tacked down, then I will run full beads around all the joints

IMG_1460_zps6ecufnvn.jpg

And what it looks like from a somewhat side profile.......what do you think?

IMG_1458_zpsvuvurfgf.jpg

IMG_1457_zpssbtrxipi.jpg

I wanted to get more done but came down with a shitty chest cold with lots of boogers and green phlegm and I was feeling like shit, so hopefully will get something done over the next few nights

Damn, Kamn! That's quite the face-lift. Looking stellar, sir

Thanks Guys
And time just flew away with me working on the bike......so I will try to keep it flowing this time

Pre spring bugs got you down, but the days are already getting longer so motivation will be kickin in.

Please don't get a brown seat :eek:

The longer days are already helping
It wont be a brown seat......aluminum seat pan something like below

dts5_zpsjcku4p6n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom