KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Thanks gents, pretty happy with how it came together. I'm a sucker for green at the best of times, but the matte pea green against the glossy brushed steel looks pretty sharp. Looking forward to making the panels for the fairings and seeing how they look.

Man I really appreciate the help on this exhaust situation, thanks mate! I'm going to have another look at the set up this eve and see what gives. You could well be right - maybe they sent me the mid pipe for the newer E model by mistake. I'll call Rocky Mountain and see if they can help - they were great on the phone the other day when I was arranging the return. If I can get another mid pipe sent over then hopefully I can get this hooked up and not have to hunt for another can. Now that the cylinder has been bored out to 685, airbox modded and carb re-jetted and needled I really need a less restrictive and - lets face it - better looking muffler than stock. Fingers crossed the exhaust gods look on me fondly.

Still mucking about with the shape and cut outs. Maybe something like this -

WqkDHog.jpg

Ok, well I'm not calling myself a massive bell end yet but it's dangerously close. Think I've got to the bottom of the mid pipe drama - Mike you're absolutely right. Although the sub frame is different, the exhaust header and silencer on both the A and C model is - as far as I can tell - the same. The difference is the frame mounting points, but I can work around that. Can't be 100%, but I think the problem I had yesterday was the header flange was on the wrong way round, throwing everything off. That or the internal flange in the mid pipe was in the wrong end. That would make me feel a little better about things as it came that way.

Think all may be well. ::)

*exits stage left, rather sheepishly*

We've all been there and that's what DTT is for, post it up and let the masses help LOL. Glad you will get it sorted. As for the can mounts they can be moved forward and back on the can right? You may need to use a small bit of plate to adapt it also. Cheers

Yeah man, the can itself has moveable straps so I should be able to find a sweet spot. Gonna pick up some high temp RTV gasket sealant today and hopefully get this thing hooked up. To say it'll be a relief will be a massive understatement.

Good on ya fella - flat bread pizza and beers at Les Trois Brasseurs whenever you're in town again

I love that bare metal with the gloss clear. looks Fantastic man

SONIC. said:
I love that bare metal with the gloss clear. looks Fantastic man

Figured I'd take a punt with the gloss this time and glad I did, shows up the brushed effect in the tank really nicely. Thanks man 8)

Yep the tank is great, hopefully you got all the possible moisture out so it lasts without rusting on you. Worst case is you have to clean it up every few years and re-clear but hopefully not. Don't use RTV on the pipe. you'll need muffler cement to take the heat. They sell it at crappy tire in the exhaust section.

KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Maritime said:
Yep the tank is great, hopefully you got all the possible moisture out so it lasts without rusting on you. Worst case is you have to clean it up every few years and re-clear but hopefully not. Don't use RTV on the pipe. you'll need muffler cement to take the heat. They sell it at crappy tire in the exhaust section.

Gotcha, thanks mate - I’ll make sure I get the right stuff. Got the header and heat shield sandblasted yesterday so I’ll be picking up some VHT exhaust paint while I’m at it.

It’s no Harbour Freight, but I love me some Canadian Tire.

Time will tell whether I get rust underneath the clear - I had the shop heater pointed right at the tank for a good 24hrs prior to clearing it in the hope I could drive out as much moisture as possible. We’ll see.

Slowly but surely getting the exhaust mounted but it's no shoe-in. Nevermind that - bought some high temp exhaust cement to seal the muffler to the mid pipe but it dries really brittle - any movement and the seal cracks. Canadian Tire does sell some high temp RTV silicon that can be used on exhausts - will that have more flex?

How big is your gap? You're probably supposed to be running a gasket...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KLR-650-A-87-CC-EXHAUST-CONNECTION-GASKET/400605359252?hash=item5d45f0ac94:g:bTQAAOxypNtSgJ2J&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Pipe-Gasket-Fits-KAWASAKI-KLR650-KL650-1987-2010/282064551139?epid=20003209022&hash=item41ac5b7ce3:g:mwYAAOSwuhhXWvk2&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

I'm using the stock header but with an aftermarket mid pipe and muffler from Lexx. The tolerances are pretty tight - using the stock header clamp I can get the mid pipe on the header pretty snug, but the mid pipe into the muffler is a bit wobbly. Maybe less than a mm, but enough for it to break the cement seal. No way I'm getting a gasket in there though. Think the high temp silicone would work? Need something with a bit more flex, or figure out some other way to tighten up the muffler/midpipe seal.

Blue skies and melting snow, spring is most certainly here and things are starting to look two-wheeled again, even seen a few brave souls on bikes tooling around the city already. Jonesing to join them - if the weather holds I'll try and fire up the CB750 next week and get mobile. In the meantime making progress in the garage, got the header and heat shield sandblasted and painted -

phqkpv8.jpg

and after much finagling got the Lexx exhaust installed. Very tight tolerances with this exhaust on the C model, but doable. Had to modify the sleeve inside the mid pipe - it wasn't biting down enough on the stock header for a tight fit so filed the gap down to allow it to close further, jammed a socket in there and had at it -

gd6TVoJ.jpg

Once I got the muffler on I tried MacGuyvering the exhaust springs into position and narrowly avoided losing an eye when the spring snapped and took a small chunk out of the wall behind me. Gonna need some longer exhaust springs if I stand any chance of getting them on. Also had to cut a chunk out of the mudflap to create more space for the mid pipe, things really are tight in there.

Like how this thing looks, looking forward to hearing how it sounds. Has a removable spark arrestor so if I want to challenge the finely wrought relationships I've developed with my neighbours I can pull that thing out and test the limits of friendship. Apparently, things can get loud.

5srzdLX.jpg

Hot damn jimbo, that thing is looking mean!!

Got a brave soul that’s been riding past my house every day for since the 10th on his Adv bike, (except maybe during the snow storm) he’s a real keener.

I might have missed it, but what colour are you putting on the seat?

Hats off to those guys - mate of mine is picking up his ride from storage out in the sticks and riding it back to MTL today, lovely day for it but I hope he packed gloves.

The seat will probably stay as is for the time being, it's not in bad shape and I like the very dark grey, non-slip cover someone stapled on it once upon a time. I'll probably keep it dark grey but maybe with a kawa green detail. Need to convince the missus/boss that that is a vital thing to do. Not sure she's convinced.

If you're talking just 1mm, then make yourself a shim with sheet metal, a piece of thin pipe that's split, or even a beer can.

irk miller said:
If you're talking just 1mm, then make yourself a shim with sheet metal, a piece of thin pipe that's split, or even a beer can.

Beer can - perfect. That'll do it. Have a full beer can, will empty it in the appropriate manner and get that sucker in there. What's the verdict on the high temp silicone by the way?

The Jimbonaut said:
Beer can - perfect. That'll do it. Have a full beer can, will empty it in the appropriate manner and get that sucker in there. What's the verdict on the high temp silicone by the way?

It works okay, make sure you put it on in a way that doesn’t make a mess everywhere inside and out of the pipe.
Use it often on spring mounted 2 stroke expansion chambers, it works all right.
The best for sure is to shim it with something solid if the gap is too large.

Never tried high temp silicone, but if it handles the temps, I don't see why not. BMW calls for a cement on airheads where the headers screw onto the heads. It's the only time I've ever used anything like that..

Getting closer now, still got a bunch of things on the to-do list but for the last 24 hours I've had this Far Side cartoon in my head -

2A62ruz.jpg

I Am The Optimistic Arachnid.

Back
Top Bottom