Honda trail 90, no spark, test light not illuminating at points

dantyler92

Hello, I finally got my hands on my grandpas old ct90. Every few summers I would get it running while visiting my parents but now I have it in my garage and want to get it going full time.

At the moment I am not getting any spark, I have tried new plugs, and cut off a bit of the spark plug wire to make sure it had a good connection.

I put new points on it a few years back and they appear in good condition, probably only road 15 miles after installing them. When I tried to check the timing I wasn’t able to get the test light to light up at all. So wondering if there is a problem in the wiring? I don’t have a multimeter and don’t know how to use one but I can pick one up and try to figure it out.

This was all done right after I charged the battery so I don’t think that is an issue.

On a side note does anyone know a good source for buying ct parts?

DRATV has a bunch of engine parts, etc. for these bikes.

Check that you have power getting to the coil. IIRC these bikes run off a magneto, so the battery does not actually power the ignition, rather it is powered from the flywheel spinning when you kick it over. You should be able to rig up a test light to the wire that powers the coil, kick it over and see if it lights. If not then you can chase that down. If the bike has a killswitch, I'd start there.

Edit: just realized you already did that. I'd first check the killswitch (you can just bypass it and see if your test light lights up).

+1 for drAtv. I've gotten a lot from there for my st90. He rebuilt my head also. You can find a ton of stuff on eBay as well. I'm not the best at chasing down electrical bugs so I'll leave that to others to help you out. Good luck! Let's see a picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They run on an AC generator. It's definitely getting power through the battery. The battery is acting like a regulator. The points are timed directly on the crank, but it's not powered there.

Back
Top Bottom