CB360 (378cc) Green Meanie (Weenie) 2.0 -

Re: CB360 (378cc) Green Meanie 2.0 -

On hold until parts arrive later in the week.

CB360 (378cc) Green Meanie 2.0 -

I had some parts show up last night and I was able to remove the clip on bars and mount stuff on the drag bar I am swapping over to. I think this will improve my ride a bit and I'm digging the way the exhaust is going to work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to points for now... haven't heard back from Pamco about my ignition... I can get it to run on both cylinders now... but neither with the Mikuni or Stock carbs will it run well.

Question for @crazypj and @sonreir and anyone else that has gone 378cc... would the fact that I had to add thick copper gaskets to clear my valves when I did my cylinder cause me timing issues? I'm probably running at wicked high compression compared to normal.

My tensioner is set, my tappets are set, timing looks spot on with a timing light...

The bike will start pretty readily and will idle for a bit and phhhhhhht... die. And this goes for both stock and round slide carbs... is my spark just too friggin' weak to stay running? I have another advance and points plate I'm going install.and see if something is wonky with the one I have in there... (Not the original)

Depends on how thick/thin you went on the gaskets. Higher compression requires less timing advance. None of the symptoms you're describing lead me to believe the timing is an immediate concern, however.

When the bike dies, does it start right back up again or does it need to sit a little while?

Sonreir said:
Depends on how thick/thin you went on the gaskets. Higher compression requires less timing advance. None of the symptoms you're describing lead me to believe the timing is an immediate concern, however.

When the bike dies, does it start right back up again or does it need to sit a little while?
Most often will start right back up.

Spark could be an issue. Do you have another set of coils you can throw on there?

Sonreir said:
Spark could be an issue. Do you have another set of coils you can throw on there?

I do have an extra set and have swapped them out already with the same result.

Sonreir said:
New battery?

Battery checked out fine at the Batteries+ place... and charges fine on the trickle charger.

I'm using one of your regulators and have stripped my wiring down to Rec/Reg + Battery + Ignition only

Might be worth eliminating it as a cause, just in case.

Use a set of jumper cables to connect your car battery to your bike battery. Don't have the car running though.

Sonreir said:
Might be worth eliminating it as a cause, just in case.

Use a set of jumper cables to connect your car battery to your bike battery. Don't have the car running though.

I've got an extra Harley battery all charged up I can do that with.

3DogNate said:
I've got an extra Harley battery all charged up I can do that with.

Give it a go.

After i had my 360 reassembled (for the first time), I fought a lot of different issues.

Couldn't get it to start at all. Turned out to be a flipped advancer.

Couldn't get it to idle well. Carbs out of sync.

Stopped firing on the right cylinder. Carbs still out of sync and bad enough to full close one of the butterflies.

Couldn't get it to rev. Bad battery.

For what it's worth. My stock carbs worked fairly well after bumping them up a bit on the secondary mains. Because of my cam, I had to advance the starting timing quite a bit, but the problems I had that led me to that decision are quite a bit different than yours.

Sonreir said:
Give it a go.

After i had my 360 reassembled (for the first time), I fought a lot of different issues.

Couldn't get it to start at all. Turned out to be a flipped advancer.

Couldn't get it to idle well. Carbs out of sync.

Stopped firing on the right cylinder. Carbs still out of sync and bad enough to full close one of the butterflies.

Couldn't get it to rev. Bad battery.

For what it's worth. My stock carbs worked fairly well after bumping them up a bit on the secondary mains. Because of my cam, I had to advance the starting timing quite a bit, but the problems I had that led me to that decision are quite a bit different than yours.

I have the Mikunis back on for now... they are easier to deal with. All circuits are verified as clear... The current jetting ran perfect before I had my oil issue. It "should" be darned near impossible for it to not idle indefinitely on these things as long as there's fuel in the bowls.

How do the plugs look after it dies? Are they wet?

Dying after idling is usually a symptom of running too rich. You need a rich mixture to start a cold engine because atomization of the fuel isn't good when things are cold. As the engine warms up, the fuel atomizes better and the mixture doesn't need to be as rich. So if a bike is tuned too richly, it will tend to idle when cold, but not warm. I'm not sure this is the issue you're having because you said the bike starts right back up, though.

Is it at all possible you got your coils wired backwards? Coil pos to ground and ground to pos.

When I first installed my emgo's I hooked them up backwards. Bike would start and idle fine...but touch the throttle and dead. took me a minute to find THAT issue.

If you think shes running higher compression may need higher octane fuel. But, but thats all I know about that. I dont know the effects of running low octane fuel in high compression environment.

But as you say running fine before. Hmmm.

So... I got out poking around on those Mikunis after work and Matt talking about running rich... I took a closer look at my enricher setup. ( not a choke on these carbs. ) I have a cable operated setup on this bike since VM30s do not come in L/R carbs... it's just easier this way. I readjusted the enricher plunger to make damn sure it bottoms out in it's seat and plugs that passage up. The bike wants to run much better... I even got a couple of minutes of idle out of it this time. So that maybe the #1 culprit to my woes.

Also Matt mentioning Sync giving him troubles I figured out how to bench sync the stock carbs.. the sync was out pretty bad and might be the issue with those... I might give them another try too...

oooh... put the stock carbs back on after the bench sync... MUCH better.. not quite right... but the best it's ran since the top end rebuild. whew... and Pete is sending me a replacement part for my electronic ignition. I think i can probably move on and get my wiring, front brakes and rear brake linkages redone, and some general clean up tasks. And I can deal with the fine tuning after that. I'll get my sync gauges back from my buddy and do a full sync.

Return to idle is a little slow... I don't want to mess with that until I do a gauge sync. I am running K&N filters and the 378cc mod. is is possible that I'm drawing a smidge too much vacuum and need to drill my slide out a little for a faster return? I don't know what slow return is a symptom of.

Sync most likely. and spray a little lube on the linkage parts.

Dont do anything drastic until you got them carbs tip top.

Are the caps installed over the butterfly shaft ends? To prevent vac leak. The one pictured is PJs replacement.

11494-251014061858.jpeg

Stock caps look like freeze plugs.

11494-290716221755.jpeg

ensure tops are flat and fit bodies well. With no warping for leaks around diaphragms.

11494-230514054926-3681859.jpeg

11494-230514054927-36934.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom