'77 CB550 The "Sake Bomber"

'77 CB550 Winter Project.

Made a small Mount of progress last night after work. Got the original lower bearing race cut off and the AllBalls Racing bearings mounted. Did a little modding to the steering stops as well as a temp fix, too

haru4yru.jpg

jy5u8ehy.jpg

a3y9ujy6.jpg

Then I got a wild hair in my ass and started playing around with the cb400 tank I have for the CM build I'm doing for the wife...LOL

usybu4ur.jpg

6ytuhudu.jpg

nezypydy.jpg

ha7umuba.jpg

Cheers!

Ron

Re: '77 CB550 Winter Project.

I like the blue tank, shows more of the engine !

Bits and pieces are trickling in, and with the weather starting to warm up a little, I've got the desire to get back in the shop and work on the scoot.

Drawing quite a bit of inspiration from bikes I'm seeing locally and here on the DTT forums.

Got my 600rr rear brake to go with the wheel and rotor...

zumutyqa.jpg

Out At dinner the other evening with my wife at our favorite sushi bar heron town have me the idea of what to finally name the bike. I've always been a simple guy, and my toys have had simple names, but this time I've been drawing a blank...until now!

3e6equ4u.jpg

She's Japanese, I love sake (more specifically, sake bombs!), and the bike is kind of a bomber of sorts....

The "Sake Bomber" has been born!!!

On a side note, if any of you happen to have a straight Cbr600rr or 1000rr front wheel on the cheap, please let me know! I've been on the hunt for one. I have been looking locally here in sacrento, but everything seems to be bent or made of platinum (judging by the price of some of them!!).

Cheers!

Ron

Nice work!
I flip flopped for months on wether to do mag or spoked.
Went with spoked in the end.. But my eye still wonders how the mag would have looked too... Lol.

Following your build now... Interested to see how she comes together. Lol

I was about to email one of the pics to you, Rusty. LOL. I don't have the killer welding skills that you have, but I'm a persistent bastard. BradJ pointed me in the direction of the Zx swinger. I had seen some old HRC race bikes with them, but rare is an understatement, and the new ones at custom shops are pretty spendy.

u5u6a4ah.jpg

I'll be de-tabbing the swingarm this weekend, and while I'm at it, fabbing up some adjustable lower shock mounts

Busted out the portaband and started cutting the rear frame in preparation of welding in my hoop that I got from CafeGoose!
ze9upapy.jpg

holy crap thats a huge tool. I would've just grabbed a sawzall!!

nice project btw :D

Got most of the swingarm cleaned up and smoothed out. Just have to fab the lower shock mounts and machine out the axle bolt holes, then I get to start dry fitting it all together...

qamujevy.jpg
ahe5a4u6.jpg
qu7agu9e.jpg

I'm on the fence about polishing / chroming / powder coating....

On another note...cleaned up the front calipers. I literally bought the entire front end from a meth head last year...and there was red spray paint all over these...
y4uvy4ad.jpg

This tank polished up nice. Kind of tempting to leave as a stock color...the patina is pretty cool, too.
ytuma8y8.jpg
ru8ymynu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom