'77 CB550 The "Sake Bomber"

Re: '77 CB550 Winter Project.

Were you able to use the same tank shoe ( front mounts) ?
Looks pretty cool.

Do you have a full bike shot?

Re: Re: '77 CB550 Winter Project.

Busted Knuckles said:
Busted out the portaband and started cutting the rear frame in preparation of welding in my hoop that I got from CafeGoose!
ze9upapy.jpg

You are bonkers. :)

Be a shame to blank that tank - could you color-match the rest of the bike back to it?

'77 CB550 Winter Project.

Here's the closest to full bike I can get right now, Cam. My wife's bimmer inhabits the middle of the garage at night. She says it will catch cold if it sits outside, lol.

The tank sits perfectly on the stock bungs, just had to widen out the frame tunnel on the belly side, and widen the ass end of the tank where it meets the seat to clear the frame without rubbing...I personally really like the look of it!

rara7esa.jpg
pe5eburu.jpg
y8u8a7eh.jpg

And Rich...you're probably right. I have the stock 550 tank sitting on a shelf that's smooth sided already from the previous owner/builder.

I've been sitting out in the shop, just getting a feel for it.

Dam!! I really like that!
Looks great man!
Love how slim down it makes the bike. :)

I'm in the Sacramento, CA area.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's really starting to take shape!

Oh shit!
Sorry.. I thought you were the same guy I bumped into few years back on a DTT WestEnd Boys ride, here in Ontario Canada.. Hahaha.

Well.. Keep this beast going dude.
Can't wait to see it in all its glory. Lol.

Oh.. And I really dig the orange rep wheels and blue tank... Haha. Tell me your not paint the bike/wheels different colours?! Lol.

The Repsol wheels didn't fit, so I have a replacement set for the official build. I haven't decided on the final wheel color. Currently the rear is black and the front is red. Not really certain which way I should take this...the 360 tank changes quite a bit. May do black, might even chrome them. Hell, I might even get another set and do the 550 tank in Repsol blue and go with orange wheels,lol.

Can't wait to see this bike done - hope you hold on that bright orange for the wheels, that mash up between the modern and the old is so cool. Really works with the blue tank, but could work with a full on Repsol-theme..

Re: Re: '77 CB550 The "Sake Bomber"

GreatDane said:
Can't wait to see this bike done - hope you hold on that bright orange for the wheels, that mash up between the modern and the old is so cool. Really works with the blue tank, but could work with a full on Repsol-theme..

Seconded!

Well...I have the clearance, Clarence. Pretty stoked about this. Big thanks to Bradj for his advice on this. Otherwise, I would have been trying my best copy of "Rusty Olive"'s rear swingarm (which is beautiful, BTW...I just don't have the skills that Cam has with a welder!
any7asy9.jpg
7a2yqyse.jpg
zegynu3y.jpg
y7e4a8yh.jpg
6ete4e4y.jpg

I know the tire is way beyond bald, I just needed something for mock up that I wouldn't mind messing up.... :)

Here ya go, Cam. Don't mind the ass end being all up in the air...but here's a general feel of the overall shape it's taking on.
6egypygy.jpg
6y9upedy.jpg
qanapupu.jpg

Lol. You are to kind sir!
Some days even I wonder how the hell do I weld this.... Hahaha.

That looks bad ass bro!!
What size tire? Its tight.. But just squeezed it in there eh? Lol

I can't say it enough. Loving that orange on blue. Lol

Are you making off set sproket or getting one from Cyclex. ?

Side question... Have you slipped a rear chain ring on the hub. Make sure it clears the swing arm..

Hard to tell from the photos. But looks tight.

I'm good on the rear sprocket clearance...by far. I'm following your lead and getting the cyclex offset front.

The swingarm had some "ledges" on the inner part that I cut off and then hit with the flapping wheel. In looking at original kawis with this swingarm, it looks like it was to make the OG tire not look so skinny. Had my neighbor (the metal dude/welder) scope it out to make sure I wasn't cutting anything important off, lol.

RustyOlive said:
Side question... Have you slipped a rear chain ring on the hub. Make sure it clears the swing arm..

Hard to tell from the photos. But looks tight.

You were right cam. The Cush drive spaced the chainring out enough to where it was vicariously close to the swinger. It clears, but not enough for my comfort. Operation "swingarm split and widen" shall commence in 3...2...

Awesome build, I will be following this one too. Also I sent you a PM with a pic with a possible solution. I love the mix of old and new. Manufacturers always try but usually get it wrong. Builders usually knock it out of the park.

Busted Knuckles said:
You were right cam. The Cush drive spaced the chainring out enough to where it was vicariously close to the swinger. It clears, but not enough for my comfort. Operation "swingarm split and widen" shall commence in 3...2...

How did it go?

Back
Top Bottom