TX500 build

Yes please.....more pics, that tank looks really nice. I think I'll be making a move toward that epoxy......wow.

hey you go... tonight i am going to powder coat the headlight bucket, trees, and who knows what else white... going to drop the rear wheel and clean it up maybe even paint it... get the seat bondo/resined up ready for paint... ummmmm who knows what else.. i woudl like to prep the frame for paint and get the motor out for paint and polish as well... who knows what ill get done tonight... currrent pics:
was going to add some accent color to the tank but i think i may just rock the all white... frame will be gloss black, swing arm polished, controls, and levers all powder coated white... everyone rocks the black... my harley is ALLLL BLACK... this will be bright... going to bring back the bling
2qkrv9w.jpg

25tb3nm.jpg

120o3us.jpg

16axvv6.jpg

everyone rocks the black... my harley is ALLLL BLACK... this will be bright... going to bring back the bling

right on Dude.... That color scheme is looking great so far.

yooooo 2am update... progress is going slow but good...got the front end torn off the bike now and wire wheeled it... did the lower tree in the media blaster so that is ready for powder after a good wipe down.... prob not going to powder tonight.... ahhh the seat... well i used short strand bondo fiberglass... painted that on... sanded that down... then i made the milkshake... GREAT GREAT GREAT IDEA!!!!!!! coming along well... i was a bit slow on the sanding while 75% dry... i was using the wire wheel while that was drying so it got hard.. but it really paints on smooth mixed up like that and REALLY filled in the seats cracks and crannys... now this sucker is tough as nails and smooth!!!! VERY pleased thus far with the seat progress... very pleased... now need to figure out what to do for padding... i think i will just cut 3m tape and hook some this padding right to the top and call it done... any ideas... i am at a loss for padding...

here are the pics...

seat after fiberglass filler:

2ih46mx.jpg

1dzwo9.jpg

seat after milkshake mix and a bit of sanding... still have alot to do:

208gxl3.jpg

14w6640.jpg

16m3ds9.jpg

parts:
somewhat stripped... still need to go into the stripper tank, and media blast

nwlnja.jpg

I still can't believe how fast you work, without sacrificing quality; I might not make the same choices you do with some items, but I'm truly impressed by the quality of your products. I've seen some bikes from a local "builder", and his work reminds me of an old Easter egg: pretty on the outside, but rotten on the inside. He does some things right, but he cuts too many corners; if you ever saw one of his bikes up close, you'd realize that he rushes the work just to make some quick cash. The buyers don't notice the flaws and poor workmanship until AFTER they buy his crap... and by that time, it is much too late for them to do anything about it.

The quality of your work speaks for itself; I do hope you'll remember to take some time to relax, and enjoy your OTHER life, the one that DOESN'T keep you covered in overspray and Bondo dust all night long...

Thanks for sharing these great builds with us; rest when you can, and don't let people like me drive you nuts just because I want to see MORE photos of your work... remember to set time aside for your family, rest, and playtime. As much as I like seeing the photos showing your progress, you're entitled to have a life OUTSIDE the shop, so take the time you need to keep body and soul together; don't let the work consume you. You work so much, I wonder if you EVER sleep...

not much today... mostly clean up after this weekend... here is the lower tree i powdered white to see how i like this powder... not bad almost an exact match to the paint so i will go wiht this for the rest of the parts...
2nbacep.jpg

34pj38k.jpg

2nkuxpv.jpg

kneedragger said:
I still can't believe how fast you work, without sacrificing quality; I might not make the same choices you do with some items, but I'm truly impressed by the quality of your products. I've seen some bikes from a local "builder", and his work reminds me of an old Easter egg: pretty on the outside, but rotten on the inside. He does some things right, but he cuts too many corners; if you ever saw one of his bikes up close, you'd realize that he rushes the work just to make some quick cash. The buyers don't notice the flaws and poor workmanship until AFTER they buy his crap... and by that time, it is much too late for them to do anything about it.

The quality of your work speaks for itself; I do hope you'll remember to take some time to relax, and enjoy your OTHER life, the one that DOESN'T keep you covered in overspray and Bondo dust all night long...

Thanks for sharing these great builds with us; rest when you can, and don't let people like me drive you nuts just because I want to see MORE photos of your work... remember to set time aside for your family, rest, and playtime. As much as I like seeing the photos showing your progress, you're entitled to have a life OUTSIDE the shop, so take the time you need to keep body and soul together; don't let the work consume you. You work so much, I wonder if you EVER sleep...

wow man you really made me slow down and read this sucker... thanks man... sometimes i lose focus and get all wrapped up in what i am building at the time... my fienc'e owns a bar so fri and sat nights she is working from 6pm till 4 am.... so i try to get as much done as i can while she is at work... she then comes home and has to unwind before we go to bed so she will hang out in the garage and give me some new ideas and opinions... she also rides so she understands... she read this with me as i sat down and laughed... said even people that know me thought the internet know my obsession wiht bikes.... ha ha ha, gave her the full day yesterday with no bikes... (till she went to sleep... then i powdercoated) ;D
not much will be done this week... i have winterized my boat and put that in storage this weekend... i need to set up my other shed (mini garage) in back to store some of my other toys (jet ski, frames, etc) over the winter... i will also turn my other shed into a spray booth and powdercoating room... have wedding stuff to get done this week... bike will sit till friday... just a bit of sanding may take place between now and then...
thanks for bringing me back from la la land brother... she is cool though... i put all my bike building on hold while i built her our house... even did my garage last (work in progress) so now she is cool with me being all bikes all the time

Do me a favor... tell her the wedding is off... because I WANT TO MARRY HER! Seems like most of my girlfriends have been psychotic to one degree or another; for some reason, ovaries and hormones don't always want to get along with testicles and testosterone... which is why I'm STILL single, with no plans to marry EVER, unless... nevermind...

OK, so I'm anti-marriage, but that doesn't mean my way works for everyone. Let us know when the wedding is...

Glad to know you've scheduled some downtime; enjoy being with your girl. Your projects will be waiting when you're ready to go back to work. In the meantime, recharge your batteries, and best wishes to each of you...

Hey, did you just want the speedometer part of the cluster or the whole cluster. I have the tach pending sale, but the speedo is up for grabs if you want it. I also have the stock exhaust, but I'm not too sure what kind of shape it's in. I'd have to get you some pictures.

speedo... the rest of the setup is just fine... i am going to relocate everything any way... going to do a side mount for the speeo and tach either that or drop it real close to the bars... let me check out that stock exhaust though... i was going to make mine work with my stock harley mufflers... still may go that way...

I'll grab you some pics tomorrow when it's not so flippin cold out. I think it's below freezing right now. ::)

Awesome build thread, especially fabbing your own seat assembly - I'm having a shot at that one for sure when I finally get a ride.

Might be outta place, but it brings back memories of doing up my Valiant and some of the paintwork I did on that. Things like rims and the filter cover with good old rattle cans. 4 years later they're looking like they could use a touch up, but then again I didn't use good paint. Or good practice. Or drive over good roads, haha.

Cheers man, hope it keeps on keeping on - boingk

How much buildup do you get with the powder? I'm reffering mainly to areas like the steering stem where your lower bearing has to fit. Will that be and issue during assembly? I'm planning on a bunch of powder on my current build and want to know what ot expect...

any good powder coater will know what areas to tape off or protect from powder... i plug all my threads before i shoot them, assembly SUCKS with powder in all your threads... you get a decent build up with powder (it is thick) but you can alwasy just sand it down.... i do bike parts all the time so i have an idea of what needs to be and does not need to be powder coated... are you going to do it yourself? practice on random parts first till you get it if you are...

I've been considering doing it myself. I've got an oven that could be used to cure, it's big enough for a bike (60" x 40" x 100"). I built it a while back for another project and in the end it was simpler to keep it then to tear it back down. I've looked at the Eastwood kit but haven't made a purchase yet. I may not just yet, enough irons in the fire at he moment......we'll see....

that is the only starter kit i would recomend... i have the eastwood gun and the professional gun they sell! great products and powders! super easy to do and if oyu have the oven you are set!!! hell what you would pay for just a few parts to get done you can buy the gun... harbor freights set up SUCKS!!!!!! good for testing powder but that is about it!

Well shit! Looks like I'll be buying the Eastwood setup.......you just HAD to be all enthusiastic didn't you!!?!??

Hehehe

it is a great product... once you start to get the hang of it you can do some wild things with powder... exp once you learn to layer the powder you can get some crazy effects! my bobber project iwll be all GOLD with heavy flake... all done wiht powder... let me know if oyu have any troubles i can help you get the hang of it and in no time you will be doing wheels for $$$$$$$$$

Back
Top Bottom