An odd one. 82 kz750r1.

Re: An odd one. 82 kz750r1. Brat cafe.

I never actually thought of bikes in categories, I just build what I like. Maybe they all should just be called "customized". Open forum means your gonna be critized, in a good way and a bad way. No one wants you to do something unsafe, it's your build, just gleam the good and ignore the bad

canyoncarver said:
Don't get too worked up over stuff posted in your thread. Like I said in sentence #1, it's your bike do what you like. We are glad you brought your build here, just don't expect everyone to only post love notes. It's an open forum with lots of different tastes.

Trying not to haha ;D Vwvortex is a far more harsh environment. ::) I'm aware forums are full of opinions good and bad. And everyone has an opinion. Not expecting love notes. I see build threads as a way for someone to track progress, learn from others, and be provide resources for others to learn as well.

slikwilli420 said:
You only need to decide if you want the bike to look cool or work better than it was born.

Choppers are totally impractical but look cool and a well done one will ride well in a straight line but not necessarily corner well.

Brats, well, they are just dumb and don't check any boxes, so I have no clue why its a thing.

Cafe racers are like a more freestyle version of a superbike, and usually have more of a vintage feel to them. Well done ones are some of the coolest builds out there, but there are a lot of hack jobs. Doing a bike right and making lots of custom pieces to really make it your own isn't cheap so get ready.

When you think superbike, think this:

http://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/kawasaki-kz1000.jpg

Not this:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/~/media/Images/MCC/Editorial/Articles/Magazine%20Articles/2007/01-01/Kawasaki%20KZ1000R%20Eddie%20Lawson%20Replica/Kawasaki-KZ1000R-03-parked%20jpg.jpg?h=365&la=en&w=550&hash=35E74A2FB48BBE6A642726BAF79CC2A7EF068ACC

The first represents the highest level of craftsmanship and tech in braking, suspension and power of the era. The latter is a marketing ploy that does many things well, but wouldn't hold a candle to the first one.

Form should follow function, and those that know the difference will see a bike that functions better, and it will look better in their eyes. Lots of bling and shitty bolt-ons like pods, balloon tires and the like are not the route to take if you want your work to be appreciated. Notice I said appreciated, that is not about you getting cool points, its about knowing that you built something to a high level. If you build a clown bike, that reflects on you that you aren't a person who listens more than speaks, who doesn't do research on everything, and is willing to settle for less than you are probably capable of.

That's the truth^ I seem to have a bad taste in my mouth about early super bikes. More than likely seeing too many ugly add-ons. I do like true race bikes, like the kz1000 you posted. Cool little write up bikeexif did on Pridmore/ the Vetter bike.

32466936496_acd27ca43a_b.jpg

Some tasty looking fork oil in this one.

32128904380_95fece3074_b.jpg

All disassembled. I will say, the sharpened broomstick handle trick to hold the damper rod in place worked surprisingly well ;D

Oh man, if you're coming from Vortex this place will be a breeze haha

PS FWIW I dig the CB750 you posted, minus the velocity stacks. They just have no place on a road-going bike.

coyote13 said:
Oh man, if you're coming from Vortex this place will be a breeze haha

PS FWIW I dig the CB750 you posted, minus the velocity stacks. They just have no place on a road-going bike.

Purists and know-it-all's make forums a dangerous place. Vortex is chock full of em.

32467582996_8a9df66f17_b.jpg

I have a funny feeling the previous owner attempted to replace the fork seals, and rounded this guy out, and gave up. There is something to be said for using a 2lb brass hammer to pound a quality 8mm allen in to be certain the allen headed bolts will come out the first time. We're talking snap-on, cornwell, mac, hazzett. Harbor freight will simply not suffice! Sometimes spending a few extra dollars on quality tools is better than spending all too much time butchering/drilling/tapping things.

Quick tip. If you run into something that got really mucked up, and the proper allen just won't do it. A triple square style bit can be brass hammered into what's left of the 8mm allen head. I used a 1/2 drive mac triple square and it did the trick. Now to replace the bolt. ::)

The ugly part about removing that bolt is that it moves with the inner shaft piece holding the outer tube and inner tube together. I've only been able to remove them using two methods. I'd probably remove using the first method vs the second.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Keep the spring in and cap on. Compress fork upside town and use an electric or hand impact driver to remove.
[*]Stick a series of 1/4 socket extensions down to inner tube to wedge in the open of the inner shaft piece, then remove bolt on other side using standard ratchet.
[/list]

As far as my 2 cents on the bike, all styles are great as long as the bike is functional. Things I don't consider functional:
  • no front fender
  • no rear/mud protector
  • barely any cushion seat
  • lack of addiquate turn signals, and headlamp
  • uncomfortable handlebars/riding postion
Remember you want to ride the bike and enjoy it, not limited your rides because of comfort.

SrgtBear said:
As far as my 2 cents on the bike, all styles are great as long as the bike is functional. Things I don't consider functional:
  • no front fender
  • no rear/mud protector
Remember you want to ride the bike and enjoy it, not limited your rides because of comfort.

Right on all counts!

Coopacoopacoopa said:
Wikipedia lied to me, no surprise. ::)

Wiki probably meant to say fastest 750 of its year. In 82 everyone had an 1100 on the floor that would have been faster than the 750's.

32471292571_355ab0d41c_k.jpg

Need to clean and organize my garage for more working space. Haven't lived here for long, but I haven't exactly put the garage together the way I want either. Oh well. I put a spacer in the front forks to lower it some. Tossed them on just to see what's what. I still need to put oil and new seals in either way. Next up is building a battery and electronics box. Also need to get a rear loop on.

I understand car tires very well, but I'm not up to speed on motorcycle tires. Right now it has a 19 front, 18 rear. Tire sizes currently are 100-90-v19 front, 120-90-v18 rear. The back tire is actually fairly new so I may keep it. It's a dunlop arrowmax. Thoughts? I'd like to bump up the aspect ratio on the front tire so it's a little bit larger and matches the rear better. Should I just find an 18 inch front? To my understanding some other kz's had matching 18 front and rear. If I'm keeping the 19 front, what size should I be looking into? There is a little bit of concern with clearing the exhaust, but I do have some room to work with.

The KZP has a 18" front wheel that is a bit wider, think its 2.15. if you get the same year kzp wheel it may bolt up but I don't know for certain. I think the 19" wheel looks great on these bikes. and the added benefit is it will give you height clearance for turns since you are planning on lowering it. I would not go wider than the recommended tire sizes, as the smallest suggested rim size for a 100/90/19 is 2.15" stock rim is 1.85". Putting a wider tire on the already too skinny front rim will make it handle sloppily, and added mass will make accel/decel worse. If you're planning on riding this thing like a granny then proceed. IMHO; muffin tops aint cool, even with tires.

Also when fitting the rear "hoop" check for tire clearance under full compression. If you were to connect a straight bar across the rear of the frame right now the tire would rub.

60fe994943e974fc37e62c2824da334d.jpg

Coopacoopacoopa said:
One of the triple tree clamps was also broken off.. No thanks to the previous owner.

I think you should inspect the frame and forks for crash damage. it doesn't take much to bend either, and if the triple clamp is broken its a good sign that it was crashed.

doc_rot said:
I think you should inspect the frame and forks for crash damage. it doesn't take much to bend either, and if the triple clamp is broken its a good sign that it was crashed.

I did look over all the welds on the head tube after I noticed that. The bolt present was rusted in and overly tight, shit for brains before me mighty have just broken it off.

Got a little side tracked lately. My wife bought a 6spd Volvo s60-R that needed it's engine rebuilt. It's been a time consuming and expensive job. :eek:

Had some time to kill the other night and ended up building an electrics/battery box. Mig'd it together out of some 18 gauge. Fits well and is decently stealthy.

32983588601_cd9bb046f8_k.jpg

32294980783_788a72d1a1_k.jpg

julian.allard66 said:
32522e9ee62000acb20748acbe774959.jpg

That's a 1982 Z1000J, standard it was faster than a GPz750R1, it's now got an 1170 Unitrak engine and is a lot faster than a 750.

if that is yours, what forks are in it?

It's mine and has 1989 FZR1000 EXUP forks, yoke, brakes and front wheel.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

SrgtBear said:
The ugly part about removing that bolt is that it moves with the inner shaft piece holding the outer tube and inner tube together. I've only been able to remove them using two methods. I'd probably remove using the first method vs the second.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Keep the spring in and cap on. Compress fork upside town and use an electric or hand impact driver to remove.
[*]Stick a series of 1/4 socket extensions down to inner tube to wedge in the open of the inner shaft piece, then remove bolt on other side using standard ratchet.
[/list]

• no front fender
  • no rear/mud protector

Sure, I'll stir the pot. Fenders, not needed. Same goes for signals and cushy seats. Riding position, well what's uncomfortable is up to the rider isn't it?

My bikes get ridden, especially since if I don't borrow one I don't have a car to my name at the moment. The truth is its all up to the rider. There's nothing wrong with dropping a front end an inch, as long as you know why you're doing it, and what should happen from it. I actually find many older bikes ride better with a little well planned adjustment.

More than likely not going to have fenders, signals, or a marshmallow for a seat. Later on I might run the fancy bar end signals. We will see.

A good friend of mine traded in his Honda cbr600rr for a 2015 kawi z1000. He had a stripped down r6 before as well. I've ridden both the 600's and they were quick bikes. He let me take a run around on the z1000 yesterday. All I can say is...HOLY SHIT. It is a whole different animal. Litre bikes are no joke. Pretty much anything near full throttle in 1st 2nd Or 3rd gear, the front end felt like it was coming up. Brutally fast and torquey. I'll admit it's fun, but I really have no interest in owning something like that. There's really only one place where you can actually use that kind of power and it's a track. Anywhere else is just asking for trouble IMO.

Coopacoopacoopa said:
He let me take a run around on the z1000 yesterday. All I can say is...HOLY SHIT. It is a whole different animal. Litre bikes are no joke. Pretty much anything near full throttle in 1st 2nd Or 3rd gear, the front end felt like it was coming up. Brutally fast and torquey. I'll admit it's fun, but I really have no interest in owning something like that. There's really only one place where you can actually use that kind of power and it's a track. Anywhere else is just asking for trouble IMO.

It's been said, once you go liter, you don't go back. All the control is in your right hand man. I've ridden an 1100 as my regular ride for 17 years!

Yup...its the right hand that can get you into trouble.. You cant ride wfo everywhere !! Have some common sense and you will be fine.

also depends on where you ride. I commute 100 miles every day and the liter keeps it interesting coming home late at night.

Back
Top Bottom