Guzzi 850T Tale

cafetbird

Bound for the Playground....
I've always had this fascination with old Guzzis. It must be the lump. So, been searching for an old T frame 850 project for a while now, when this came up on eBay.

1379387_10151972406167889_663913859_n_zps7f60d19e.jpg

I am a sucker for a bike with a story. This one is an old Vietnam story, the sort we all hear about in barn finds. Son is stationed with his dad in Italy in 74. They buy bikes together. Son gets transfered to Nam in 75, and is killed in the Spring conflict. Dad keeps the bike as a momento. 830 miles on the clock.

Gotta put this one back together right.

I'll likely start out with a resto, then do a cosmetic update to the tank, seat, bars. I prefer the style of the Lemans and V7, and they are on the same chassis. Might try to source some big valve heads also.

Started looking over the engine yesterday. It looks incredibly clean internally. The father had stored it in Marvel Mystery Oil.

20131103_074334_zps2f425b77.jpg

Motors looks like it might just need some TLC. Carbs will need a complete overhaul... soaking them in a Kroil cocktail now. The electrics had been harvested over the years, likely to keep the father's twin going? Contacts, starter, and other bits are missing. Those should be available, so not a big deal.

The kid had a get off, and you can see some replacement parts were added. Headlight, a few scuffs on the gage cluster, controls were replaced. I'll be looking for some used bits to replace those.

Scoring the tins and seat off this bike... owner did a 1000S cosmetic conversion on the doner bike.

2013-10-24_zps954f179b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom