Oh Lord (CB500) - The Leaky Bitch (p. 31)

Re: Oh Lord... (CB500)

03rangerxlt said:
Aight guys! Some of my first questions.
I want to run a BCR (Benjie's Cafe Racer) Fiberglass Dolphin gas tank and seat combo on this bike (http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/combo2.html). I also want to use the BCR's battery box/tray assembly (http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/battbox.html).

First off, how similar is my 1972 CB500 frame to a CB550? I don't know anything about bikes, so I don't know if the battery box assembly will work on my frame. Next, has anybody else messed with these BCR parts? Will that battery box work with the seat and fit right? What say the hive?

Picture_640-230x170.jpg

batterybox-350x251.jpg

FYI: I ordered the same combo for my 73 CB500 from Benjie Cafe Racer. It was shipped from the Philippines after I was told that "family problems" were causing the delays. That seemed odd to me, I thought he was in the USA. The seat will not mount to the frame because the tongue on the bottom doesn't line up with anything. After having the battery box welded and getting the frame powder coated I realized that I will need to have a piece welded in place for the seat to mount. I should have checked that everything would mount up first. The parts look great but you should be careful not to make the same mistake that I did. Taking Benjie at his word cost me in both time and money.

Hey ajaf1656,
Is there any chance you could get pics of how the seat mounted and overall pictures of your bike posted here for me? Or if you have a build thread, a link will do. How long did you wait for your pieces from BCR? How bad was it to get the seat to mount properly? Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on ordering the battery box/rear frame hoop, installing it, deleting the frame tabs I wasn't using, and then sending out the frame for media blast and paint. Now it looks like if I go with this seat and tank combo, I will have to wait until I get them in hand to fit them before I get the frame redone.

And to anybody else who might know the answer...
Am I good to go cutting off all the tabs for the side covers/battery box? Some of the tabs connect different frame pieces, and I don't want to kill the structure of the bike by hacking them off.

Hack them off. If you're really concerned or plan to thrash the bike, throw in a real gusset where the side cover tabs acted as gussets.

Hacked on my frame today. A lot of fun. Hope I didn't screw anything up! The frame looks soooooooo much nicer with the tabs gone! We also got rid of the mount for the center stand.

image1.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

Re: Oh Lord... (CB500) Questions!

Questions!!!!

I have a set of what I think are clubman style bars that came with the bike. Do I need to drill holes in the bars to run the wires through them? Do I need to drill holes in teh bars to get the hand controls mounted? There seems to be pins on the insides of the switch boxes that I think are for indexing the controls on the handle bar, but I don't know 'cause I have no clue what I am doing. And lastly, can I cut the little dashboard thingy with the idiot lights up to make it two seperate clamps for hodling the bars down or is there a reason not to do this? Thanks

Re: Oh Lord... (CB500) - Handle bar questions 12/22/2010

hey man,
you could go two ways with the bars.
1. you could drill holes in the bars for the wires
2. you could drill a smaller hole in the housings and feed the wires through and down the bars or with the cables

i did number two, found it worked better for me, nice and clean no holes in the bars. except for the little piloit holes for the housing pins. they make sure the housiong does'nt rotate on you. they need to be there.
i have done this both ways and found that the hole for the wires in the bars need to be big to fit all the wires, found that at the end of the bars on the inside where the wires come through, you could see the hole. and i did not like that, made it look sloppy up frt.
any way, thats what i did, and my thoughts. just easier and cleaner i think.

as for the bar mounts. you could cut them, the clamps are at the ends, the middle part is thinner it just holds the light bar. my thought are not to and get two single mounts off a nother bike, most of the cb's are the same 7/8 bar and the distance from clamp to clamp i believe are the same, and the bolt to bolt aswell, i have a set from a cm400tt and they fit the clamp tripple on my cb500f and they are single clamps, bolts right in.
any way, my thoughts. good luck.
later.

I have all the components and bars for internal throttle if you want to go down that road... PM me if you need the parts!
-Slice

supercafe said:
hey man,
you could go two ways with the bars.
1. you could drill holes in the bars for the wires
2. you could drill a smaller hole in the housings and feed the wires through and down the bars or with the cables

i did number two, found it worked better for me, nice and clean no holes in the bars. except for the little piloit holes for the housing pins. they make sure the housiong does'nt rotate on you. they need to be there.
i have done this both ways and found that the hole for the wires in the bars need to be big to fit all the wires, found that at the end of the bars on the inside where the wires come through, you could see the hole. and i did not like that, made it look sloppy up frt.
any way, thats what i did, and my thoughts. just easier and cleaner i think.

as for the bar mounts. you could cut them, the clamps are at the ends, the middle part is thinner it just holds the light bar. my thought are not to and get two single mounts off a nother bike, most of the cb's are the same 7/8 bar and the distance from clamp to clamp i believe are the same, and the bolt to bolt aswell, i have a set from a cm400tt and they fit the clamp tripple on my cb500f and they are single clamps, bolts right in.
any way, my thoughts. good luck.
later.

Slice said:
I have all the components and bars for internal throttle if you want to go down that road... PM me if you need the parts!
-Slice

I am interested! PM sent for info.

Chopped on my frame today! Wow progress is slow! Sometime today I am gonna order my BCR tank and seat. Next this comiing Wed., gonna get the frame hoop welded on and the frame cleaned up. Then soon, sandblasting and paint or powdercoat!

start with one perfectly good CB500 Four frame that I already cut some tabs off of...
DSC03255.jpg

I ordered this BCR battery tray/frame hoop back in December I think. I am impressed with it! Plus, it came all labeled so that my non-motorcycle knowing ass can figure out where stuff goes.
DSC03257.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

Digging in without a second thought about what I was doing to this almost mint frame (at least it ain't rare or nothin')...
DSC03260.jpg

No going back now unless I wanted to spend a lot of money to fix this. Thats not gonna happen!
DSC03267.jpg

Here is the new battery box/frame hoop in place...
DSC03271.jpg

DSC03272.jpg

And here I am trying to look cool in safety glasses...
DSC03273.jpg

Re: Oh Lord... (CB500) - Cut on the frame 01/17/2011

You look like a pig too. Let me know when you are working on it and I will come up and drink your beer. ;)

Looks real nice man.

Man you're really making excellent progress. Nice work.

lingo said:
You look like a pig too. Let me know when you are working on it and I will come up and drink your beer. ;)

Damn! Do I? Damn. HAHAHA
There is always plenty of beer drinking when there is bike working!

That has got to be the sorriest excuse of a motorcycle I have ever seen. Grow some balls kid and get a Harley. You must be gay, because you will surely look gay riding that bike!

Go away Bobby! Your kind is not welcome here. Grow a couple feet and you might be allowed to come around. Maybe one day you'll be tall enough to climb up on a motorcycle Bobby!

I hope your bike turns out like your truck!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!

slayer said:
I hope your bike turns out like your truck!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!

What? Another thing you need a ladder to climb into? And the truck is even lowered!

rear fender question...
I have the rear fender that came with the bike; a black plastic job. What do you guys think about either ditching it or keeping it on the bike? I need to come up with a decision be Wednesday because I am finishing up the frame either way and taking it for powder coat (or paint).

Ditch it, make one out of SS or Aluminum sheet metal. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom