Zoöid Third Times a Charm CB175

Zeke and I have been hashing the suspension idea around...it doesn't hurt to dream does it? Of course it is impossible with limited resources. But "concept cars" have driven ingenuity why not a "concept motorcycle"?
Ducati, Bmw, Ohlins, and Bose have tackled the idea from partial active to full active. Here is what Tony Foales told us,

Zeke, Patrick,

Great job on the bike.

I have always thought that active suspension would be of more use on bikes than it is on cars. In many ways you have to make a lot more compromises with bike suspension. Although the technology is now fairly mature in the car world it would be far from a trivial exercise to do something with limited resources. Although the Bose system with electric actuators could be possible.

About the fairing idea. Motorcycles already have a lot of drag which helps a lot at high speeds for braking. Unfortunately, the drag force is quite high off the ground and produces a torque reducing load on the front and increasing it on the rear. Theoretically that could help with braking from the tyres because it would be shared between the two ends. However, high front tyre loads and fork dive are used by riders to help with corner entry etc. and it would probably not be productive to change that.
Fixed wings have been banned in motoGP from this year, it is highly unlikely that moveable fairing would be allowed.

keep up the good work.

Regards

Tony Foale

Maybe this seed can grow in Zeke's generation. We think it would be fun to put some small servo motors in the front forks to raise and lower the ride height. Time for a little War https://youtu.be/ro4yhp9L6Ok

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/semi-active-suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife and I happened to be in Austin this weekend and stumbled across the Handbuilt show. We bought tickets and walked in, and almost the first thing we see is this bike. Pretty cool seeing it in person. The level of craftsmanship was on par or better than anything else at the show. Nice work.

alemonkey said:
Wife and I happened to be in Austin this weekend and stumbled across the Handbuilt show. We bought tickets and walked in, and almost the first thing we see is this bike. Pretty cool seeing it in person. The level of craftsmanship was on par or better than anything else at the show. Nice work.
Thank you!

And for those of us not in Austin, Where can we see pictures of the little beast

teazer said:
And for those of us not in Austin, Where can we see pictures of the little beast
9136127f7a033fd8894335b41226b449.jpg
zeke was too busy at the races to take pictures
16bd167a3ef4f4c2fd110029434c57ae.jpg

Maritime said:
Yamalube on the shirts too LOL
I was hoping it would be foreshadowing for Motogp that Vinales and Rossi would Squeeze Marc out of the picture!!! Lol!

Bikes still put a bigger smile on his face...Cheshire Cat Grin.
9c48e92135aac4c7c283436eefa45a38.jpg

d475050190da7e62b9440ce0cdc8baa4.jpg

" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sonreir said:
lol@cmsnl guy.

Rear hugger?
Matt was wondering your thoughts
c3500a5c50b71c1d50f96a0a0ae4e209.jpg
we found this on an Aprilia race bike. Wago connectors. They are vibration proof.

Texasstar said:
i have told him to keep his passions his hobby. Passions that become work become work.

From experience, I couldn't agree more.
I was totally enthralled by bikes for a long time, my father was teaching me when I was about 18 months old with a toy Harley (I think a Knuckle as I still like the look of that motor?) I didn't really get burned out and disillusioned until around 1990 though and started working on construction equipment (heavy but way less work for a LOT more money) I did run a workshop for 3 months in 1995 but it was same shit, owner wanted it profitable so he could sell it. (already been sold out once, in 1990, 2 days before Christmas :mad: )
Just deleted the rest of the 'rant' ;)

crazypj said:
From experience, I couldn't agree more.
I was totally enthralled by bikes for a long time, my father was teaching me when I was about 18 months old with a toy Harley (I think a Knuckle as I still like the look of that motor?) I didn't really get burned out and disillusioned until around 1990 though and started working on construction equipment (heavy but way less work for a LOT more money) I did run a workshop for 3 months in 1995 but it was same shit, owner wanted it profitable so he could sell it. (already been sold out once, in 1990, 2 days before Christmas :mad: )
Just deleted the rest of the 'rant' ;)
Please rant! Your ranting is wisdom.

Pretty sure you shouldn't encourage me. It was mainly about MMI and how the standards dropped in 2006~2007. Things got so bad the 'good' graduates couldn't mention they had trained there or they wouldn't get jobs.
I was under a 'gag' order for few years after I got laid off, pretty sure 'they' didn't want the truth known about how difficult it was to get a job (even if you only lasted 2 minutes, it counts for their 'job placement' statistics)
Management would not follow their own rules, cheating on test or exam is supposed to result in automatic fail and re-enrollment in that part of course. I refused to sign off on 2 ******* who admitted cheating. It was 'more important to get their tuition money ( that's when the 'More Money Institute' got passed around)
The 'education managers' signed off on the pair so they could move to next section of course (really pisses me off as one was a student of mine in 2002, he's the one who took me to the office to get laid off)

Texasstar said:
Matt was wondering your thoughts we found this on an Aprilia race bike. Wago connectors. They are vibration proof.

Never used them before, but they look pretty good.

I usually go with a marine bus bar. Looks almost as good and saves space.

crazypj said:
Pretty sure you shouldn't encourage me. It was mainly about MMI and how the standards dropped in 2006~2007. Things got so bad the 'good' graduates couldn't mention they had trained there or they wouldn't get jobs.
I was under a 'gag' order for few years after I got laid off, pretty sure 'they' didn't want the truth known about how difficult it was to get a job (even if you only lasted 2 minutes, it counts for their 'job placement' statistics)
Management would not follow their own rules, cheating on test or exam is supposed to result in automatic fail and re-enrollment in that part of course. I refused to sign off on 2 ******* who admitted cheating. It was 'more important to get their tuition money ( that's when the 'More Money Institute' got passed around)
The 'education managers' signed off on the pair so they could move to next section of course (really pisses me off as one was a student of mine in 2002, he's the one who took me to the office to get laid off)
Yes it is no longer called cheating in the class room it is called collaborating so that "everybody wins" it drives my wife crazy also. Sorry about your loss.

"
Post Re: cb900 tuning
The major weakness in this series of Honda engines has been the main cam chain. This has been an on going problem and particularly anyone who races one. I have been messing with these engines exclusively for over 30 years and during that time found the design fault that caused this. Both Honda and RSC never discovered the reasons for this back in the day and so set about not running them up to high rpm and in particular when endurance racing. The error is the OEM front cam chain guide............It is not supporting the chain when the chain is loaded. The chain is approx. 12 mm from the surface of the guide as the chain enters the area of the crankshaft and this then means that the chain is free to oscillate from the moment the engine is started. This event when combined with the fixed distance between the crankshaft and camshaft centrelines results in a resonance wave being created in the chain, and this wave grows in intensity as the rev's rise. At 10600 rpm it is so strong it can and when combined with the additional load of driving the valve train, exceed the ultimate strength of the chain and so it breaks. Even if this does not happen as when the engine is used in commuter/street use and lower average rpm the very common observation of the main tensioner being damaged or being badly worn, is visual evidence of the same event happening on the unloaded side.
However there is a viable and practical solution now available. It is the fitment and use of a redesigned Guide (That is Curved) and new tensioner (AHM Tensioner). Fitting of these allows for total control of the cam chain. Due to the curvature of the guide, all resonance is eliminated as the chain remains in full contact over its entire length. The AHM Tensioner is necessary for the same reasons and is adjustable on the unloaded run so as to be able to set the required chain clearance.
These parts have been extensively tested and proven in racing in both design and materials and also proven to have greater running life than the OEM parts. In fact they work so well the life is longer then the engine itself.

The parts needed to cure the cam chain failures in these motors are now available to all. If you are interested please contact me via either PM or at brentmopar@xtra.co.nz"
http://www.oldskoolperformance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2167&sid=fd72736319bf79ac2292b7a3a0f30820&start=28

Back
Top Bottom