3DogNate's 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R Resoration

I got to thinking about where to mount my Boyer-Bransden box for my ignition... I had some sheet ABS laying around and fashioned it to fit in the frame space in front of the coils. And zip tied that into place and Velcro +Zip tied the box to the plate. It's a pretty effective mount and I'm sure not going to fail anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DogNate said:
I got to thinking about where to mount my Boyer-Bransden box for my ignition... I had some sheet ABS laying around and fashioned it to fit in the frame space in front of the coils. And zip tied that into place and Velcro +Zip tied the box to the plate. It's a pretty effective mount and I'm sure not going to fail anytime soon.

I would make a plate that bolts to the 2 horn mount holes in front of the coils and delete the zip ties.

Not trying to be overly critical, but zip-ties tend to crack with age...

grandpaul said:
Not trying to be overly critical, but zip-ties tend to crack with age...

I'm open to suggestions... I couldn't find many good but several poor examples of Boyer box mounting.

3DogNate said:
I'm open to suggestions... I couldn't find many good but several poor examples of Boyer box mounting.
Again, if it were me I would use a piece of my scrap 1/4 polycarbonate (Lexan) and bolt it to the 2 bolt holes that have the 2 rear zip ties in your pic, and then use sticky back velcro on the box and the plate for easy removal.

Hmmm maybe that, only in aluminum, would be good... I have a few parts to powder coat in the next few days... maybe I'll fab that up...

I just use velcro strips and wrap it around one of the frame tubes with a chunk of soft neoprene in between.

Since I have a 3-D printer, I need to get into AutoCAD and design a slip-in / bolt-up Boyer box holder, and make a few.

Really silly that they haven't come up with one of their own, but could be a tiny niche market for me...

grandpaul said:
Since I have a 3-D printer, I need to get into AutoCAD and design a slip-in / bolt-up Boyer box holder, and make a few.

Really silly that they haven't come up with one of their own, but could be a tiny niche market for me...

I have a 3D printer too... but making an aluminum plate with 2 holes in it was way quicker. But if you did make one you'd sell one to just about everyone building a Triumph with a Boyer Brandsen EI and probably a bunch that already have looking for a cleaner mount.

Tank teaser

7C1F9822-9E02-49E9-971B-A3B0BE943573_zpsue89gw9j.jpg

I managed to scrape together a pair of '70 style horns... it wasn't exactly easy (or cheap) but the second horn arrived today and I'm in the middle of refurbishing them so far so good. Just blasted and painted the horn bodies and am ready to powder coat the brackets and covers.

Horns done... I'll re-plate the center screws holding the covers before I mount them permanently. I'll have to figure out a bracket bolt for the one... someone re-tapped the hole for a corse thread bolt... and they'll need fresh wire and connectors. I had to fabricate one of those brackets too, one had a big assed hole in the middle.

Do you have the original or OEM relay?

You really need to have a heavy power lead to the relay, and from there to the horns, so you don't run all that current through your horn button. That wire will make a mighty spark when you punch the button! Just for grins, try it... You can disconnect the bolted ground lead, hold the button down, then touch the ground to the frame and see.

grandpaul said:
Do you have the original or OEM relay?

You really need to have a heavy power lead to the relay, and from there to the horns, so you don't run all that current through your horn button. That wire will make a mighty spark when you punch the button! Just for grins, try it... You can disconnect the bolted ground lead, hold the button down, then touch the ground to the frame and see.

I do have a relay inbound (should arrive today)... yes these suckers draw a ton-o-juice.

Back
Top Bottom