3DogNate's 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R Resoration

3DogNate said:
Better... much better.

Very tidy looking mount. What did you secure the box to the plate with? Don't think you can get a cleaner or simpler mount than that.

o1marc said:
Very tidy looking mount. What did you secure the box to the plate with? Don't think you can get a cleaner or simpler mount than that.

Industrial Velcro... I'll probably either add a zip tie or add a Velcro strap just to make sure the adhesive doesn't give out in the heat.

They should add a mounting flange or threaded inserts to the housing

Worked on getting the top end installed tonight... got pretty far along and tore a rocker box gasket. But Garry's bailing me with a new one tomorrow. Here's what we did tonight.

3AA11D40-8678-41DB-BC41-DB0F3B8DFFA9_zpss5loiuxc.jpg

So I got out and finished up that remaining rocker box today. I have all the engine / foot peg plates installed and managed to get the chain and guard installed. I installed the covers on the engine for now just to keep things clean until I am ready for the final punch list before calling it ready to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we got a little more done last night... Valves are adjusted. Carb manifolds and other parts got replated. Carbs are mounted, mounted a "burner" exhaust, insured that my oil and breather lines were routed correctly.

Unfortunately the gear box isn't shifting correctly. Need to pull the covers off that and see if we can sort that out. (Gear box has been a smidgen fussy.. will take care of that this afternoon with a little help from Garry.

I'm going to focus on getting the wiring harness ran and and tidying up some odds and ends over the 4 day weekend and see how close I can get to being ready to fire this bad boy up. We are for sure coming close to the finish line on this bike. I thought this wouldn't be ready until spring but the last bits of progress make me think I'm only a few weeks out from a runner... (I'll maybe get one really really cold ride around the block... but hey that's okay.)

I'll toss up some more pics after we sort out the gearbox.

Carbs and filters mounted up... I have the throttle and air slide cables installed and routed as well but didn't grab a pic of that. The gear box still isn't shifting right going to try to get somewhere on that this week. The plungers don't look very worn at all, but the springs might be shot.

datadavid said:
Are you rotating the axles in the gearbox while trying to shift? It rarely works otherwise.

Yes indeed.. I have the drive train complete with chain to the rear wheel, so yes the gear box is under rotation while I'm trying to shift. I can shift through all gears using a screwdriver to manipulate the camplate manipulator with the cover off. But the Shifter mechanism wont do anything but neutral and 1st.

Not just the pawls, but if it isn't properly indexed, that's exactly what you'll get.

datadavid said:
Might be switched shift forks?
Nah it'll shift through manually without the shifter cover on. We'll figure it out tonight.

3DogNate said:
Nah it'll shift through manually without the shifter cover on. We'll figure it out tonight.

Well something isn't right, 3 experienced triumph guys couldn't figure out what might be up with what might be happening. So, we had to pull the gear box and reassemble again carefully, need the clutch tool o pulle the main shaft which wasn't on hand so we'll pick it up tomorrow.

So Garry came over tonight with his clutch locking plate and a big box of transmission parts We finished disassembling the transmission and inspected all the parts as we pulled them against the parts he brought and the manuals. A few parts looked a bit suspect so we replaced them (Lay Shaft Low Gear and both Selector Forks and Lay Shaft). After reassembling and double checking as we went we finished up the night with a working and shifting transmission... Whew...

Now onto other things... I've got to cut a half inch off the throttle cable sheaths to add some slack in the cables... they are just too tight even with the adjusters all the way in. Then can start in on some wiring.

o1marc said:
Not really, the tickler is just a push rod that pushes down on the float in the bowl lifting the needle off it's seat to allow more fuel into the bowl. All the jets and their outlets are above the float bowl in the carb body itself.
I know exactly what it is and how it works but even on MkII Concentric's when fuel comes out of tickler it's way higher than the jet outlets and creates a super rich/flooded condition.
Ypu probably know that to get bike started after flooding it's fuel turned off, throttle wide open ignition off and kick, kick, kick, kick (etc)
You can start 650 Bonnie at full throttle so kick with ignition on but 750 is very likely to 'hurt' you ;)

3DogNate said:
So we got a little more done last night... Valves are adjusted. Carb manifolds and other parts got replated. Carbs are mounted, mounted a "burner" exhaust, insured that my oil and breather lines were routed correctly.

Unfortunately the gear box isn't shifting correctly. Need to pull the covers off that and see if we can sort that out. (Gear box has been a smidgen fussy.. will take care of that this afternoon with a little help from Garry.

I'm going to focus on getting the wiring harness ran and and tidying up some odds and ends over the 4 day weekend and see how close I can get to being ready to fire this bad boy up. We are for sure coming close to the finish line on this bike. I thought this wouldn't be ready until spring but the last bits of progress make me think I'm only a few weeks out from a runner... (I'll maybe get one really really cold ride around the block... but hey that's okay.)

I'll toss up some more pics after we sort out the gearbox.

Do you have the later modified parts in gearbox? (or have you modified the ones that came out?
I forget everything that needs doing to make it 'slick' but it can be made real nice (friend used to race a Bonnie in late 70's, Westlake top end on it to keep up with Kawasaki 900's, etc)

crazypj said:
I know exactly what it is and how it works but even on MkII Concentric's when fuel comes out of tickler it's way higher than the jet outlets and creates a super rich/flooded condition.
Ypu probably know that to get bike started after flooding it's fuel turned off, throttle wide open ignition off and kick, kick, kick, kick (etc)
You can start 650 Bonnie at full throttle so kick with ignition on but 750 is very likely to 'hurt' you ;)

Do you have the later modified parts in gearbox? (or have you modified the ones that came out?
I forget everything that needs doing to make it 'slick' but it can be made real nice (friend used to race a Bonnie in late 70's, Westlake top end on it to keep up with Kawasaki 900's, etc)

All are correct part numbers for my bike, no mods. I can at least count on it shifting smoother than my Harley... "KATHUNK!"

Back
Top Bottom