'72 Norton restoration

Finally got the new rings and put the rest of the engine together. I have heard that the frame is almost done...good timing as I am just about ready to make this thing back into a roller.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 356
A freshly powder coated frame etc. showed up around suppertime last night! Exemplary work for a very reasonable price!
Got the carbs cleaned up while I was waiting...they were very dirty, but show very little wear, they should work well.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 356
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    917.8 KB · Views: 345
Well, here's where I am this week: front end back on, transmission and engine back in the frame...new isolastics. Swing arm in place and shocks refreshed and I found a hornets nursery...luckily nobody's home!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 741
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 740
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 758
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 767
Unless there's something I don't know, you'll not be able to install the swingarm with the bushing faces on the transmission cradle powdercoated. They should have been masked off per Old Britt's tech support page on powdercoating. You will also have issues getting the fork tubes in the yokes if they have even a hint of powdercoat overspray in the bores. Same goes for the isolastic tube ends, you need to dress back 1/8" or the caps will never go on. ...and so it goes with all areas that accommodate bearings, bushings, etc (swingarm, steering neck)

I noticed you went with grade 8 bolts on the cases, that's fine. Your problem will be that your powdercoater didn't mask off all the engine-to-frame bolt holes, so you will constantly be fighting snapped bolts and loosening hardware until the mating surfaces scrape themselves clean (the day before never). Check out Old Britts Powdercoating tips

Good looking project otherwise!

Wise advice from a sage builder/ mechanic. Thank you! No worries though, this isn't my first time at the rodeo and as I said the guy who does my powder coat does exemplary work and knows Brit bikes inside and out, all the holes were plugged and the swing arm went on without the slightest trouble. I'll be going over all the critical fasteners after the bike comes in for its first servicing. Love your work, can hardly wait to see how the latest Norton comes out. Thanks again, sound advice is always appreciated!

Going back and looking at the swingarm, it looks like the old bushings were left in place; that's the best way, then just chuck 'em out and put the new ones in clean bores.

My usually very trusty powdercoater had a new person doing the masking (well, NOT doing the masking, actually). It's a BIG nightmare to have to go back and clean everything up, but I've already started on the process. I'm looking at two wasted days JUST to clean the parts properly! Proper masking was included in the price I paid, so I need to go back and calculate what kind of discount they'll apply on the next batch.

Oh well, none of us is perfect.

Things are coming along nicely, clutch fitted with new friction plates, primary installed and buttoned up. After checking the cost of a new tail fairing, I decided it was worthwhile repairing it...came out pretty decent. Reglazed the instruments and fitted new bezels. Oil tank was in terrible condition on the outside, but it was almost spotless inside, it cleaned up well after applying plenty of elbow grease and several coats of gloss black paint. Both wheels are fitted, so I can roll it around if need be.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,127
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 333
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 339
Progress slowed down a bit the past couple of weeks...bad weather, sick relatives and the Holiday season in general.
Did manage to get a bit of work done. Master cylinder was cleaned up and new seals fitted, front brake now working perfectly. Switch gear dismantled and contacts cleaned. Foot peg brackets bolted on, new headlight and brackets. Clutch, rear brake, tach and speedo cables fitted. The local chrome shop has changed hands (again), so I thought I would give them a shot at the fenders, but I can get new replacements for less than half the cost of having the originals rechromed, so that's the way I'll go...and the chainguard, well it bothers me, but for now it will have to be black, maybe later on the owner will free up a little more cash to do it right. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a healthy, happy 2017!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 350
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 354
No pics this time. brake light, ignition and headlight switches were all dismantled, inspected and cleaned, charging system components cleaned, checked and mounted. Couldn't get the old horn to work and didn't think it was worth the trouble of taking it apart, since I had a new one on the shelf anyway...so the new one is tucked away in its mounting spot and new fenders are on the way.
Meanwhile...I have a Kawasaki H1 engine being refreshed and a'49 Squariel to put back together, so no shortage of things to keep me busy.

Progress has been slow lately, but a few things got looked after. Got the carbs mounted and the cables hooked up. Tested the coils and cleaned up the brackets/ reflectors etc. Still waiting on the fenders...I'm sure they will be several weeks coming, but when they do, things will start moving again. Owner is concerned about a possible teachers strike so cash flow may dwindle, but ether way I'm sure it will be on the road sometime this spring.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 333
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 340
Yep, so true. Owner came by last night with some more parts money, the teacher's strike seems to have been averted, he even brought along the side covers which he found hidden away in his basement. Looks like I'll be able to carry on with this thing really soon. Fabricating a few bits and pieces today and building a parts order list, while another nor-easter is pounding us.

Some new bits and pieces arrived before last weekend, so that gave me plenty to do on this project this week. Fitting the air cleaner turned into a two hour job...had to remove the carbs to get the gaiters between the carbs and the air filter cover....this filter assembly is almost a half inch thicker than the one on my bike...no wonder it was such a bitch of a job to get it in there. The Ebay head steady came in and that fitted up easily. Electronic ignition was installed and I started work on the wiring harness...there is going to be so many redundant circuits on this harness, that I think I may have been better off just making one for it myself. Also picked up a really nice set of head pipes for a 1989 price...they are supposed to be scratched, but damned if I can see where.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 314
The MkIII sprung head steady is a great improvement.

If you think installing a ham can is a chore, you need to try one of the late style MkIIa / MkIII plastic airboxes!!!

Looks like it's getting close to a runner, mine too...

Been pretty busy taking family to medical appointments this week...nothing too serious, but it does suck up a lot of one's time. Anyhow, I now have a functional electrical system. Two beautiful hand made fenders came in from India...five days shipping time and delivered right to my doorstep. Got the rear one undrilled so I could make sure the holes were in the right places. One step closer to it being ready for the road...battening down the hatches for blizzard tomorrow...fun, fun, fun!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    989.4 KB · Views: 319
Back
Top Bottom