Hello gentlemen

r4g5

Hey there, been a long time lurker here but FINALLY got an ace 125...the styling was the main reason but having a fun active group like this one also shaped my decision so thanks to everyone in this forum, look forward to putting a lot of the info on here into 'ethel'...I named her ethel
It's my first ever motorcycle and I'll be using it mainly for commuting to work which is only a few km away, some local trips, and of course some tinkering. Don't have a licence yet so the plan is to get that sorted first and have a few little rides around the block to build up my confidence.
Modwise: safety first so will do the front suspension spacer, tyres, sintered brakes (maybe with a braided line).
Once I pass the test then on to the unrestricting mods, plug, cdi...and maybe carburettor. Finally cosmetics, new seat and lights
Thanks again to all those who have contributed and helped make this lovely looking bike rideable, it's appreciated

Sent from my SM-N910C using DO THE TON mobile app

Welcome r4g5!

Yes a great ride and lots of fun.

Don't forget to add your details to the database.

Welcome to the forum!

Which part of the planet are you from? There may be other 'Ace' enthusiasts in your vicinity.

Keep us posted on your adventures.

Crazy

I just pm'ed mikeyw64 with my details...Scottish but living in Turkey now, Sakarya, beautiful part of the world...near the Black Sea. Think I may be the first ace owner on here from Turkey...good thing is there are some good deals on parts...for example metzeler me22 front and rear for £40...bad thing is the unbelievably bad drivers that will be out to get me swings and roundabouts

There is another 'Ace' rider in Turkey, Safak from Istanbul. A bit far away for regular meet-ups!

Your name has been added to our member list: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55426.msg868891#msg868891

Crazy

Adventures...on the negative side I seem to have the not idling at start up same as most (hopefully a few km will sort it); on my first ride around the block the gear linkage came off (since adjusted and tightened); front right indicator isn't working, not the bulb so I'll check the wiring and if okay I'll try and get a new relay.
On the positive side, I totally nailed a few gear changes AND I've got the ace bug so going to start shopping tonight

So much for the plan...riding position was pretty uncomfortable for me so got some new adjustable levers and thought I may as well change the grips while I was at it
b6006449814b2d86aabc039b29e37427.jpg

2d5de950761d89f205024537d9c7b212.jpg

Next task is the spacer (nuts and bolts) in the front forks, really does nose dive while breaking. Reading around, I hope I can cracking them open without too much hassle

Got them from a Turkish website that I'm afraid won't be much use to you so tried searching the same on ebay..."Honda cbr 250 levers" seems to show very similar ones, double check though

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Very nice, tastefully done!
Cheers crabs...
if anyone happens to order the levers I think it is important to look for the downward tab on the brake lever, it hits the switch to turn off the brake light. Included a picture of a close up...not sure if there is a workaround for other types of levers or if this is fairly obvious (newbie)...just posting it out in case someone jumps on ebay and orders the different type.
135ae8e557ce9143d4b9bd6c45beb4a1.jpg

Today I rotated the bars about 30 degrees to give more of a cafe racer look and blanked off the egr, mostly free mods for the next couple of weeks...budget restraints
9560df06defba8ae86a43c6d052d9e67.jpg

Problem is the brake master cylinder is too wide so had to move the controls and grip out a little further...either need longer bars or a new master cylinder to preserve the symmetry, or I'm open to other suggestions?
Also signed up for the Turkish equivalent of the compulsory basic training course, twelve hours 'compulsory' (although you get the certificate even if you don't turn up to any classes ) so hopefully do the actual test in about 6 weeks. I'm looking forward to having a go on their bikes so i can have a frame of reference for the ace.

Had a go at her rear end yesterday/today...wanted to keep the mudguard but shorten it a bit. Will probably get something made further down the line but for now I rotated the fender and made a bracket/splash guard for the bottom out of a baking pan, someone's suggestion from another thread...thanks.
73ebd8573282d68f1bfb57f875ad8747.jpg

There are two steel brackets under tje pan (need to redo them, pretty ugly) from the original holes in the fender to the frame.
At the top
a7c1886988872c4d1f0ecc062d51a1da.jpg

I put two self-locking nuts so vibration shouldn't be a problem and the white spacer (plumbing pipe) is cut at an angle to line up with the fender. It's the stock brake light minus bracket until I get something nicer.
49b63a527ded12973a6c4ad47af08fdd.jpg

Clearance is good all round, avoided anything near the chain and tried bouncing on her...no rubbing and took her for a test ride over some speedbumps and no bottoming out so seems okay but I'll keep an eye out.
b79b91b9bfeaa946c6e979fc3871bce1.jpg

Maybe the stock shocks on this model are a bit better than the older non-adjustable stock shocks.
It's a bit cowboyish I know, if I've done something dangerously stupid feel free to berate me or drop me a line

Coming along nicely.
Not sure about the rear guard move, but each to his own. I would loose the oversized brake light and replace it with something more in keeping with the period. I've replaced mine with the below. I think this with your repositioned guard should look quite nice.

Keep enjoying it and thanks for the reply on the levers. ;D

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71205.msg851580#msg851580

Sneikz said:
I would loose the oversized brake light and replace it with something more in keeping with the period. I've replaced mine with the below.
It's certainly on the list...most of the ones in that style I've come across are two wire so, I guess don't have the license plate light. There is SO much on ebay/aliexpress but it takes about 2 months to get here
Think next is mirrors, handlebar and throttle cable (mine has too much play even when fully adjusted)...maybe a trolley jack too so I can jerryrig something to get her in the air for front suspension/brakes.

Not done much in the last wee while, got a cheap soldering iron and multimeter to have a go at the front indicator that wasn't working.
Basically the bullet pins where it attaches under the tank hadn't been crimped properly so, thankfully, it was an easy fix.
Now I've got them working been looking on aliexpress for some replacement led units and an led flasher...don't particularly need the idiot light so won't bother with the diode to get it working.
I really like these ones...
98f574eab4ac04c65eb181793a0017f4.jpg

They only come in yellow so will probably respray that part to match the bike.

Up to about 100km now and, like others have said, the gearbox is much better...really difficult to find neutral before, now slips right in.
Hopefully clubman style bars will arrive this week and I'll get that area squared away

Fitted some clubman style bars and the new mirrors from aliexpress...
ebd10f57b51de10bae11888143240ff2.jpg

They mirrors came pretty quick, easy to fit and feel pretty good quality...the clubmans I got locally for about £5, they give a much better riding position than the old bars...less wrist ache.
Was supposed to do the motorcycle course about 3 weeks ago but this is turkey so it's eventually starting tomorrow so hopefully I'll learn a few things and get signed up for the test...still loving the ace

Over here i noticed a couple of 2004ish honda cg 125, called a titan here, and was wondering if anyone has considered swoping out the complete from end and rear wheel? I'm a little paranoid about the spokes breaking/buckled wheel/brakes and instead of upgrading part by part was thinking it might be easier to just swop out the whole lot at once? Would it be feasible or nightmarish? Here if a vehicle becomes unregistered it's virtually impossible to register it again so they are basically for scrap or for village use...around £250 for a complete bike.

stroker crazy said:
My bike is about five years old now and so far I haven't had to replace any spokes.

Crazy
Hey crazy, good news. I've only just done 100km and all seems to be going well. Guess I'll just keep riding it then and see what happens, and deal with the problems if/when they occur...need to get a torque wrench to give some peace of mind. fingers crossed I got a good one

stroker crazy said:
My bike is about five years old now and so far I haven't had to replace any spokes.

Crazy
Going about 40kph and suddenly a big hiss and the back wheel went all wobbly...
c24305d3cc76385cb6c6abb967d9e29b.jpg

Hoisted her up on the garden swing seat frame and took the back wheel off...the air valve had completely sheared off of the inner tube. £6 for a new tube supplied and fitted so not to bad.
Got the indicators done today too
5584b1ec9adbbc993c08fad360263466.jpg

ceeec3e1da0c3af70a77a6ce10e53d7a.jpg

The wires that came with them were a little thin and too short so just lopped of the ones from the original. Got them all wired up and tested them but all 4 started at the same time...took me about 10 minutes of checking grounds etc before I remembered to I had to disconnect the indicator idiot light after I did that all working
They flash front and back of the unit and so are more visible and much brighter than the original so a good buy. I'll spray them later when I do the bike (probably about a year down the line).

Don't speak too soon on the spoke front. Found one broken @10500km. Though I am over the 100kg mark.

Fitted the "go fast" red levers. Next job will be fitting the 37 tooth rear sprocket.

Back
Top Bottom