Cj360 gastank “mistake “

Rene Holsebro

Been Around the Block
I welded the gas cab from a gsxr in my tank an are having some issues around the weld because the guy that I had to do the welding, didn’t do a good job. I would like to split the tank in two and fix the problem from inside, but can I split the tank all the way around the original seem or what can you guys recommend med to do? And then have a nother welder do a gas/soldering around the seem to close I again.

You can definitely split the tank and the original seam, but would it be cheaper or easier to start with another CJ tank?

Cut the bottom out. In case the repair doesn't go as well as you'd like, it's not as noticeable.

Yes. All of the above, but can you post a couple of pictures so we can see what the problem is and maybe we can come up with more specific answers

Thanks guys I will definitely take a picture of the tank, right now it’s at the bike store, to see if they could come up with a solution, they just said that I could start over, but where will I find a new cj tank in Denmark ???
After it got welded, I painted it myself ad noticed bubbles in the paint around the welds and I could feel welding wire and other metal edges inside the welded seem. Then he tried to weld it more because we guessed that the bubbles was because fumes through the tiny holes, but now he burned through the tank again and again, and I think the inside looks terrible and will rust in one year, or faster.

Holes can be fixed if the basic tank is sound. But if the welder is not used to welding really thin metal it's hard to do it right. I did a couple of tanks and ended up with blow holes and distortion all over the place that took a while to fix. Tank steel is less than 1mm and is not so easy to weld for people that don't do that sort of welding regularly.

Sounds like you didnt get a welder to weld it for you but someone who thinks he can weld.. thats about 50% of all welders
A real welder pressure tests before he hands it back to you.
Sounds like it is more trouble than its worth repairing your tank now, all the previous mistakes will have to be cut out and replaced.

Mainly because you do not want thick blobs of failed weld on thin sheet steel, it will crack sooner than later.

The “welder” is actually pretty educated but works on a oil rig and works more on much thicker materials, so it’s not that I blame him but we didn’t really know how thin it was until we were deep into it. Because the top from the gsxr tank wasn’t as thin as the cj tank
But you think that the thicker welds will crack where it meets the thin steel?

Rene Holstebro said:
The “welder” is actually pretty educated but works on a oil rig and works more on much thicker materials, so it’s not that I blame him but we didn’t really know how thin it was until we were deep into it. Because the top from the gsxr tank wasn’t as thin as the cj tank
But you think that the thicker welds will crack where it meets the thin steel?
I dont think, i know!
I've also been on oil rigs and nuke plants, we use thick gauge there, in the dairys we use really thin gauge. I do a little of everything really. But i can guarantee that if you have thick welds with filler hanging on the inside you will have cracks. Its especially important on thin sheet metal to have smooth transitions between weld and base material, even more important on vibrating applications.

Thanks a lot, Then i think I have to start all over, I just don’t have enough metal now I will have to figure out how to fill in the missing inch around the new gas cab and the tank that we messed up.
Now it will be A LOT of welding because I have a seem around the gas cap and then again to the tank

The way we did it was to cut 5x6 inches and take a piece from the gsxr tank 5x6 and weld in and now I have to cut 6x7 inches to remove the damaged metal in the tank, I will be a BIG hole to close
The blue line is approximately where it’s joined and the two red marks are the problem areas, the top problem is right at the edge of the tank so I think it will be difficult and expensive to fix

Attachments

• 537916D7-39BF-40F1-A46C-6250B618A55C.jpeg
    537916D7-39BF-40F1-A46C-6250B618A55C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 264
I can't see the problem. Maybe I need abetter screen or something. From where I'm sitting it looks pretty good.

Does it leak or is it just a minor low spot that we're talking about?

No you can’t see it in the picture but bubbles in the paint, occur around the blue line.

And at the red areas it melted so it was a big welding mess and a lot of puddles and grinding I’m afraid that it will rust from the inside because the area is not covered by gasoline

In a project build I saw I guy that opened up his tank at the seem , and that was what I was thinking because I could seal the tank from inside?

Might be easier to empty and dry the tank and flush it out and then seal it with a Caswell kit. It can be messy and requires you to rotate the tank to coat the upper surface, but seals really well. I have no idea if that's available in Denmark but hope you can import it.

teazer said:
Might be easier to empty and dry the tank and flush it out and then seal it with a Caswell kit. It can be messy and requires you to rotate the tank to coat the upper surface, but seals really well. I have no idea if that's available in Denmark but hope you can import it.
Caswell and similar is available in scandinavia, absolutely the most cost-effective solution here.

I´m based in Austria and I´m using a tank sealer from the firm "Wagner"....its available Europe wide on Amazon.Hit me up if you need info.

Thanks guys, I did buy a sealing kit, but within a year it started to come off in big flakes, does any of those kits bind better on all surfaces than others?

Back
Top Bottom