The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

Re: Re: the "Ace" - adding lightness!

Erskine said:
Lovely bike Mate. Can I confirm the single best up grade for this OHV CG clone engine is a 150cc piston and barrel.
Honda designed this engine as a 150. They only reduced the capacity to meet the market demand for 125CC.
It rocks when bored as god intended:)

I have to agree. I am really surprized on how much of a difference the 150 makes. I have really steep hills around my place and the stocker. I would be back to first gear before the top of the hill. Now it fly's up in third at 60 kph. I also have the big valve head, but not really sure how of a difference it makes. As the valves are only 1mm larger.

Re: the "Ace" - adding lightness!

stroker crazy said:
Welcome to a fellow 'Ace' rider from la belle France!

It was good to see the photos of your bike - I also intend to only make minor changes to the appearance.

I am still using the original tyres as I find them perfectly satisfactory, on dry roads at least (I haven't ridden the 'Ace' very far in the wet). I find a considerable improvement in stability with the new shocks - the originals performed very poorly.

There are several places to connect an electronic tachometer; probably the best is the red/white connection between the pick-up and the CDI.
The tachometer you buy should have information on the preferred method of connection.

It sounds like you have the bike performing quite well already by I can understand your frustration at running out of revs. It would be a good idea to install the tachometer before chasing more top-end. At least then you would know how many revs were missing!
Lack of top-gear power might be helped by a different carburettor, but the ignition could be the culprit. Are you running the original sprockets? The gearing can dramatically effect the performance.

Let us know how your modifications work out.

Crazy

Thanx for the welcome and replies.
I put ooracing kit that includes the 34t rear sprocket, hence the increase in top speed.
Top speed is alright just I feel that the engine is running low at 5th so maybe could still get some more power somewhere.
Or maybe the 34t is too tall.
Anyway I will try a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket to get back some torque and see how the bike will behave thus.

I'll probably install my tacho today so I'll let you know. I guessed too that a good connection would be the red/white at the CDI.

sprocket2cog said:
Alan the rear pegs for a zx-9r fit the ace hangers so you can go full alloy on them, look good and no rubber to wear out, your bikes looking good.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130881452127

I definitely like those foot peg.
I cannot open the link however, I get the ebay error 'unfortunately due to legal restrictions etc etc'.
Can you just tell me the item title so that I can try to find it ?

Just Dan said:
… but not really sure how of a difference it makes. As the valves are only 1mm larger.

1mm doesn't sound like a lot Dan, but it translates into 7% more area on the intake and, more importantly, 8.5% increase in exhaust area.

This makes a more than worthwhile gain in getting mixture in and exhaust gases out!

Crazy

Alan Vega said:
Or maybe the 34t is too tall.

I was thinking 34t might be too big a step; will be very interested in how things are altered by the smaller front.

Your tachometer will give us the first real numbers concerning rpm, so I guess everyone will be eager to see your results!

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
I can't wait to get my 150 kit set up!

Do you have an 'Ace' yourself?

Crazy

No I have the same generic engine powering a trials outfit. Would love an Ace though. Mines first incarnation was as a cafe racer but the CG frame and running gear are pants in comparison to the Ace. I love the pushrod engine though. Its a design masterpiece for the third world.
If you look down the front of your header is there an inner pipe of a smaller diametre? If there is make a new header without it but keep the same silencer .... these puppies thrive on back pressure, with out any they are just all noise and disappointment.

Erskine said:
If you look down the front of your header is there an inner pipe of a smaller diameter?

The 'Ace has the smaller inner pipe. My new header (see page 6) is longer than the original and retains the original silencer, but with different mounting brackets. The diameter and length have been calculated to assist mid-range power, and top-end should be still healthy because of the intake modifications.

I agree with you on the motor design, and Lifan seem to have done a good job with their version!

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
I was thinking 34t might be too big a step; will be very interested in how things are altered by the smaller front.

Your tachometer will give us the first real numbers concerning rpm, so I guess everyone will be eager to see your results!

Crazy

Tachometer is mounted and running. Just used the bike to come home from work so I couldn't rev to the max (I live in a big city).
I could give you some readings when i have the opportunity to test it more. Won't be before thursday for sure.

Regarding the 34t it's not that big. I live in a very hilly town and still it's fine. Getting some extra torque would be nice so I'll try the smaller front sprocket (14) and decide afterwards which of the 34/15 or 34/14 setup I keep.
Definitely not going back to 38 for sure. Guess 36 rear is the best compromise. I'll get the same result with the 34/14 setup.
I just did some math and found that if I'd kept the stock rear sprocket (38) and changed the front for a 17 (2 tooth more) I would have gotten more or less the same ratio I have now with the 15/34 setup.
Question is: why do ooracing sell a kit with a 34t rear sprocket when a 17t front sprocket would have given the same results ? Is there any mechanical reason to rather change the rear sprocket rather than the front one (because the later it is even easier to change) ?

stroker crazy said:
The 'Ace has the smaller inner pipe. My new header (see page 6) is longer than the original and retains the original silencer, but with different mounting brackets. The diameter and length have been calculated to assist mid-range power, and top-end should be still healthy because of the intake modifications.

I agree with you on the motor design, and Lifan seem to have done a good job with their version!

Crazy

PM sent :)

Alan Vega said:
why do ooracing sell a kit with a 34t rear sprocket when a 17t front sprocket would have given the same results ?

Their is no logical reason that I can think of for going smaller on the rear sprocket instead of larger on the front, if a suitable ratio can be achieved that way. A larger front sprocket is theoretically more efficient and kinder to the chain because the links don't have to rotate to such an extreme angle.

Sometimes a bike will not have clearance for a large enough front sprocket, or an appropriate size is not available. Otherwise a larger front would be my preferred option.

Looking forward to the results from your tachometer!

Crazy

I tried the 34 th rear sprocket on and had to take a link out of the chain. I am now running the std 38th on the rear and one tooth larger on the front. That makes it the same as if i used a 36th rear.

Sort of a half way compromise. Not quite sure what the top speed is, but cruises easily at 90 kph.

Just Dan said:
Sort of a half way compromise. Not quite sure what the top speed is, but cruises easily at 90 kph.

That sounds like a sensible approach with the gearing Dan. We don't have enough power to go for extreme changes without having dramatic fall-off in performance somewhere.

While we all like to go a little bit faster I don't think many of got these bikes thinking they were bargain basement 'Busa killers. Comfortable at 90k and perhaps topping out at 110-120k would satisfy me.

Crazy

Just Dan said:
I tried the 34 th rear sprocket on and had to take a link out of the chain. I am now running the std 38th on the rear and one tooth larger on the front. That makes it the same as if i used a 36th rear.

I've found this a rather useful little chart :)

http://www.wemoto.com/info/Sprocket_Gear_Ratios/

My box arrived late yesterday, managed to put on the handlebars. Got tomorrow off so hopefully can put on the front wheel and finish her off!

Absolutely, I really hope I can knock it over tomorrow in time to get to TMR to register it!

I almost feel like a bit of a cheat as mines being dealer (well mates garage) prepped, hurry up next week !!

Mind you means they're doing all the paperwork with the DVLA

Chris - good luck on the assembly!

Mikey - whatever it takes, as long as it's on the road!

Crazy

All built, just need to go for a test ride, and register this afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom