The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

sprocket2cog said:
Ahhh the joys of only weighing 62kg :p
hills are still like hitting a brick wall..

haha yep, I was heading up a hill yesterday with full throttle in 3rd yesterday, engine roaring and still slowing down... all part of the charm I say.

ChrisBNE said:
haha yep, I was heading up a hill yesterday with full throttle in 3rd yesterday, engine roaring and still slowing down... all part of the charm I say.

yeah ive got a christmas charity ride this weekend near me, most of the ride is round the bottom of the alpine road.. half uphill in a 100km zone.. ill be at the back screaming like a banshee and still only doing 75kph.. lol.
it is part of the fun :)

ChrisBNE said:
could be that weight reduction!!
???? 20kegs of bolts to match mikey thou :D
maybe if I drop the bars and wear lyrca
Or just be fast like this guy

Attachments

• suit.jpg
    suit.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,032
Yep the front sprocket is the 20mm version - like in the JT catalogue here http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF259-17 , though at about 90kg I will be going for a 16T ;)

Hi All

Regarding the top speed/sprockets/how fat we are, subject. In the past I built a racer ( unsuitable bike + ignorance = fun) and I was lucky to get advice from some good folk and they told me the facts that I needed

You cannot go faster (top speed) unless you increase revs or gear up
Saving weight can only increase your acceleration - most efficient way to loose weight is have a piss before you set off
However if you increase the power of your engine (but not the revs) and loose some weight you can gear the bike up to take advantage and gain speed

This is basically it in a nutshell - we got an MZ 125 to do well over the ton, weigh 75kg, make 19BHP at the rear wheel, do stoppies and out accelerate plenty of bigger bikes - having said that on most circuits we geared it to do more like 90mph. We were fortunate in that we have an insane midget to ride it......ran out of gearbox in the end..

hope this helps

Dave

Dave M said:
You cannot go faster (top speed) unless you increase revs or gear up
Saving weight can only increase your acceleration - most efficient way to loose weight is have a piss before you set off
However if you increase the power of your engine (but not the revs) and loose some weight you can gear the bike up to take advantage and gain speed

Concisely put Dave!

Crazy

was looking at my original pipe this morning and noticed something that may make you guy want to change header pipe section.
mine was cut up near the front top bend and found that when the pipe was bent the inner wall pipe had"bunched up" inside the bend causing a 50% reduction in flow in the pipe. not a good thing.i think if you run a wire down the pipe from the manifold end you may find the same thing.
the would cause a reduction to flow similar to jake brake or exhaust choke.

A couple of guys have asked general questions that I can add to the mix.

top speed is governed by rpm & gearing.
The time it takes getting up to top speed that is power to weight ratio.

So given a long flat highway no matter what you weigh, you should be able to achieve top speed of 100/105kph.

My ace took 250km from new to loose up enough to wind out to 100kph (I weight 97kg)

font tyre - you can't go bigger than 2.75 other wise you'll start rubbing the front guard stays (even my michelin sporty 2.75 I had to bend the stays out a little). not sure of the rear, but I would stick to a 3.00

my front wheel is still out of round after a tire change :-( have to work out how to retension the spokes, or try to get warranty.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

The figure below tie in with my experience

8500RPM & she will touch 64mph/102kph on the flat (speedo is calibrated against GPS). I have seen 72mpg (115kph) on a long downhill stretch

(search for Skyteam Ace 125 at http://woodsware.aciwebs.com/gears/ if you want to experiment with changing tyre sizes/gear ratios)

I'm happy with the punch I get from my current setup (standard gearing, non cat sports exhaust, egr removed, performance air filter, upgraded coil, CDI, iridium plug). If I want raw speed I take the Bird out :)

(for better pic goto http://www.sharetheexperience.co.uk/ACE/images/gears.jpg

gears.jpg

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm loving the look of this bike. My cbt is being booked as we speak so I should be placing an order very soon.

How many uk ace owners do we have in here?

Matt

Onform said:
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm loving the look of this bike. My cbt is being booked as we speak so I should be placing an order very soon.

Matt

There's a couple of us floating around :)

I'm up in Warrington, whereabouts are you matt (& welcome aboard)

Ace Owner Locater

If anyone would like to be added to the Ace Owner Locater (wot I have just created) then mail me at mike.ace@sharetheexperience.co.uk with the following details

1) Town/Village name & country (if more than one then provide extra detail such as post code/zip code of a central location/landmark/civil building near you I will however pin to a generic location)
2) Your real name
3) Your DTT forum name
4) Subject "Ace Owner Locater Add"

http://tinyurl.com/aceownerlocater

Onform said:
Hi, I'm new here.

Matt

Hi Matt - I'm an UK owner of 3 weeks - but not ridden mine yet while I waited for the registration to get sorted !
Since then I've been diverted by other stuff .
I'm in Mid Bedfordshire

Hi everyone,
Great forum thread ... keep up the great work.
Took delivery of my Ace 125 just over a week ago ... all your fault Mikey as I am also a Blackbird owner and spotted your post on the Blackbird owners forum !!
Not actually ridden the bike yet ..... too much salt on the road for my liking !!
Work done so far includes : EGR blanked ; exhaust decatted and Dunstall replica silencer fitted (great throaty sound) ; carb re-jetted ; iridium plug ; optimate connector wired in ; mirrors replaced ; stickers removed and smaller 'show plate' added.
Have just ordered the piggy back shocks from ooracing and also a new R/H side panel (managed to snap one of the lugs off !!).
Last thing on 'immediate list' to do is to replace the oil in the front forks and add the spacers (kit on ooracing) .. anyone done this already and if so is it an easy job ?
This bike is addictive !! :)
I live in Derby (UK) .... great roads nearby in the Peak District and also not far from Matlock Bath

Martyn

Shakey456 said:
Hi everyone,
Great forum thread ... keep up the great work.
Took delivery of my Ace 125 just over a week ago ... all your fault Mikey as I am also a Blackbird owner and spotted your post on the Blackbird owners forum !!
Not actually ridden the bike yet ..... too much salt on the road for my liking !!
Work done so far includes : EGR blanked ; exhaust decatted and Dunstall replica silencer fitted (great throaty sound) ; carb re-jetted ; iridium plug ; optimate connector wired in ; mirrors replaced ; stickers removed and smaller 'show plate' added.
Have just ordered the piggy back shocks from ooracing and also a new R/H side panel (managed to snap one of the lugs off !!).
Last thing on 'immediate list' to do is to replace the oil in the front forks and add the spacers (kit on ooracing) .. anyone done this already and if so is it an easy job ?
This bike is addictive !! :)
I live in Derby (UK) .... great roads nearby in the Peak District and also not far from Matlock Bath

Martyn

Whoops you appear to be the second Blackbird owner I'm responsible for converting lol

Shakey456 said:

Martyn

I did it and it's not that hard to do. It just need some time because you have to remove front wheel, brake etc.
But once you have removed the two forks legs it's quite easy and doesn't take long.
I think the whole procedure took me less than 3 hours.

How awesome is Ikonik in Perth! I asked them what I can do with my front wheel that has been buckled from new, and they are going to post me another wheel!!

Top work fellas!

Also (I think I asked this on another thread) can someone get me the dimensions of the fork spacer used to stiffen up the front suspension. $50 is a bit steep for a couple of bits of plastic that I can make for< $5 here in OZ.

Cheers, Stevo.

Back
Top Bottom