new member, Moto Guzzi V50 build

super8

I have just picked a Moto Guzzi that i have had my eye on for the last 10 years! a friend of mine bought it, put it through its MOT bot on it's way home it started pissing out oil. that and a change of job ment it went in to a barn where it has sat ever since.
DSCF2964.jpg

DSCF2963.jpg
[/img]

DSCF2961.jpg
][/img]

DSCF2967.jpg

I managed to get enough time to strip the carbs last night. the first one looked like this :)

DSCF2970.jpg

DSCF2972.jpg

but the second looked like this...
DSCF2973.jpg
][/img]

think it may all take a while.

just thought i'd see what happend if i stuck a battery on it, so fresh petrol, power on click, hmm click, starter off to find it's running free so shorted the solonoid and it spins :) back together. power on, short solonoid, chunter chunter... OOPS i had faild to notice the petrol leaking out of the carb and the spark from the solonoid... WHOOFf. not to much damage was going to do some re-wireing anyway!

Super 8,
Yep, it looks like you are going to be going through and refinishing yours piece by piece as well. It will look nice and clean at some point. If you check out my thread I just posted some before and after pictures of bead blasting the cylinder heads on my bike.

While my v50 spent it's 10 years sitting there was still fuel in the tank and the lines were open. The bike was nasty on the exterior (you's wins, though), but the internals of the engine were fine. Most importantly the cylinder bores had no corrosion. I suspect the vapor pressure from the open fuel lines was the saving grace. If things are turning over for you hopefully you'll find the same.

Cheers

Zach

plodding along....
DSCF2990.jpg

DSCF2992.jpg

some one once told me that its Very important to have a clean, tidy and well organized workshop...
DSCF2993.jpg

OH WELL
DSCF2995.jpg

the only problem I can see with your workspace is that it looks like you're tripping over shit and having to lean forward to get at the bike.

wide angle lens, so not quite as bad as i looks. i'm just storing the frame there, i'll move it when i come to work on it. yeh there is a wee bit of shit there. But it's all usefull shit some of it will find it's way in to the build.

so then, loom removed. engine and gearbox split, played with paint on the wheels...
DSCF3011.jpg

DSCF3054.jpg

took rocker cover off Very pleased with what i found (10 years in an open barn)
DSCF3056.jpg

DSCF3057.jpg

DSCF3058.jpg

so next thing is to take the heads off and check inside, then clean and paint engine, paint frame and then start seening how it'll look when i put it back together( suspesion, tank, fenders, etc...)

Oh if yer interested i have some of the old bits from the guzzi on ebay (email for postage if our outside the UK i'll work it out)
T5 fairing... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280839248838?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
rear fender from T5? V50? Vario? (i dont know) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280839261883?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
pretty skuzzi guzzi V50 (also fit v65 v35 maybe more) side panels http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280839268377?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649.

've been playing with paint today (sounds like i just came home from school)
and this is the result....

Vauxhall paint

DSCF3063.jpg

DSCF3064.jpg

Ford paint on the left

Rover paint on the right

DSCF3068.jpg

close up of Rover

DSCF3069.jpg

DSCF3070.jpg

close up of Ford, only one i'll try and get a better one in a bit

DSCF3071.jpg

just goes to show how you cant rely on the tops of paint cans...

V= vauxhall etc....

DSCF3073.jpg

just been out to get some more shots of the ford paint.
it doesn't photograph well, never mind, here you are...

DSCF3075.jpg

and

DSCF3076.jpg

the ford is very 70's,
the rover looks like cheap melted milk chocotate,
I think i like the vauxhall the best, but i'm still unsure what exactly the bike is going to look like at the end of all this, you never know the rover colour may be just right, it has a 40's/50's look to it.

bring it back from the dead! that thing is going to look awesome when your done with it. just needs a little love and some hours spent on it. i like the bars in the last shot the best.

think there the ones i'm going for at the moment, but might put Vintage ones on (ie beach cruiser type)

well i've been playing with tanks.
please ignore the white wall tyre, i painted it with emulsion to see what it would look like (tyre is jiggered) not very good is what i decided.
DSCF3106.jpg

DSCF3107.jpg

DSCF3108.jpg

DSCF3110.jpg

It is a very cool tank but i think it may be a bit big....

DSCF3111.jpg

Well i got my shorter shocks the othe day, and i'm likeing the the look (HAVE DROPPED THE FORKS THROUGH THE YOKE oops caps lock, sorry). still looking forn the right tank but, i do think the speedo looks very cool beween it and the seat!

DSCF3118.jpg

DSCF3119.jpg

DSCF3120.jpg

Hi super8

I just followed your link from XJ Bikes. That tank in the last picture should be displayed like a piece of art. With the patina (rust ;) ) those old stickers and shape to me at least make it look like something hung up on display.
Just my opinion and you know what people say about those.

Saw it on ebay and HAD to have it no matter what! unfortunaly it realy doesn't work on the guzzi (the pictures make it look like it fits better than it does :( But it might fit on the XJ....
if not it'll either go on the wall as your right it is pure art (and i did a degree in it so i should know) or it may have to go back on ebay depending how skint i get.
Ps) i was the first person to fail in 20 years, i fact i am extremely proud of!

Your build is going awesome! I'm looking into getting a similar bike. It's a 1980. I live in New Jersey, and was worried about getting parts for it. Is it hard to find them? Or Exspensive? I used to have a Ducati for a little while and it was a bit pricey.

Brett

Back
Top Bottom