Suzuki GR650 Scrambler/Tracker - The Strangler!

Yeah, I'm not sure about the tank. I have a few options. 1.) Live with it and make it work. 2.) Modify it by hack and weld 3.) Use stock tank with some minor mods to make it look better (raise the rear). 4.) Find another tank. The problem with 4 is that the Tempter frame and tank tunnel is really wide, so any small tanks or non Suzuki family tanks will either require tunnel mods or frame surgery. So I may be on the lookout for something more suitable... maybe...

With the front mounts shaved to make them more narrow, a tank from a GS450 or certain GS850's fit. Later 850 tanks need some pretty major Fab work to fit in comparison.

Yeah, I don't really like the shape of the GS450 tank for this build. Its got the wrong profile. I thought of another option, which is fab a tank completely from scratch. I'm considering it.

I have to agree that the tank looks a bit too long, but I like the shape of it. Do you think you can modify it and shorten it, or is that going to be to much work? You could possibly build the seat a bit different to compensate, but I like the overall shape of it on the frame.

It might be possible to shorten it, but I don't have an English wheel to make the necessary in between panels once you section and shorten. I have another tank, one from a GS850 that I could try with first. If I don't like the results, I can sell the 550 tank and not destroy it and go to plan B.

This looks great, I love efi swaps!

When you build your battery add and over/under charge protection circuit to it. Those liopop4 battery's are voltage sensitive and kick the bucket if voltage drops under 7-8 volts. Do your rc cars have them in it, if so I bet they're tiny and it would be nice to use one of that size.

If your tight on space you could section the under side of your tank to house the fuel pump and maybe some other goodies.

Fuel pump is external, the one from a honda trx700 quad. I'll take some pictures and show you. I dont think I'm gonna build my own battery. By the time I do a proper battery build with a bms, I might as well just buy one.

I think I might have another tank possibility. Im looking at some options. I'll update when I know more.

Ok, I'm super stoked about this tank. Much better, not so long, and its got a really cool cap! Absolutely no mods needed to fit it to the tunnel either, even the front rubber mounts are perfect! Plus it was only $40 on Craigslist in PDX! Can any of you astute tankophiles identify it? Check it out.

IMG_20140205_192814_296.jpg

IMG_20140205_192901_122.jpg

IMG_20140205_192800_360.jpg

So Looks like I'll sell the original GR650 tank and the GS750 and GS850 tanks I have on fleabay, maybe they can help offset some of the project costs. I need a new camera...

Perhaps a T350 or GT550, etc? Look around on Suzukicycles.org and I'll bet you find it in no time.

OK, WAAAAAY overdue for an update. Lots of excuses you don't care about. Big Rich shamed me into it!

Been working behind the scenes on many aspects of the bike and ordering a BUNCH of parts. I don't have the greatest pictures of all the ongoing work, but I'll put up what I have done recently. So here goes...

Wheels got dismembered, powder coated a textured black, new All Balls bearings installed, then sent to Buchanan's for custom stainless spokes. I'll get some pictures up soon. But here are the tires that will be going on:
New%2BShoes.jpg

Built a headlight mounting bracket and test fit new headlight. Got new x-ring chain and sprockets, -1 in back, +1 in front. Got All Balls steering bearings. Got parts for Rect/Reg swap, Shindengen FH012 from an R1 or something. Got new Electrosport Stator. Got new glasspack mufflers on order.

But mostly been working on the seat and rear subframe. I had an old 1983 PGO Scootor (Thai clone of a Honda) that had a seat that was almost right for what i was looking for. I cut the pan down, cut the front short, and reshaped the foam a little, then sent it off to Lauren at New Church to lay some kick-ass textured vinyl onto. I'll save that for a reveal a little later. Then I got to working on the subframe. I bent up new bars to match the seat and added a rear hoop. Don't pay too much attention to the extra long tubes, they will get cut short close to the hoop. Next are the down tubes, hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Frame Mods
Subframe%2Bmods.jpg

Subframe and Tank
Subframe%2Band%2BTank%2B1.jpg

Subframe, Tank & Seat
Tank%2Band%2BSeat%2Bon%2BSubframe%2B2.jpg

Tank%2B%26%2BSeat%2Bon%2BSubframe.jpg

Ducati Monster Shock Swap soon...
Stock%2BShock%2Bvs%2BDucati%2BMounster.jpg

As for the EFI update, I've decided (i.e. ran out of money) to make that a Phase 2 of the project once the bike is complete. That will be a good winter project. So for now, it'll get K&N oval tapered pods and a re-jet. When I redo the electrical, I'll try to keep the EFI in mind and plan accordingly. More updates to come.

Looking pretty darn good, Joe!

What are you going with as far as carbs go? I would assume stock since you'll be swapping to EFI later on.....

And can you do me a favor? If you pull the spring off the Ducati shock, can you check the wheel travel? I looked recently and saw that a Monster has something like 2" more suspension travel than the GR, and I'm hoping it's not because of the shock itself.....

Thanks Big Rich! Just the stock carbs with a 6 Sigma rejet. You had stock carbs before going to the VM's. Did you rejet? Why the VM's? I'll check the travel once I get one of the missing hat-bushings for the top of the shock eye. Ebay seller neglected to mention it missing, and I'm having a hell of a time getting one. I suspect the GR travel is limited by its geometry. But if the shock itself has more travel before it bottoms, then the swingarm should travel further too. We'll see...

I actually found a really good deal on a used set of VM carbs and liked how they ran. After I had them for a little while, I bought a new set of carbs to replace the used ones. When I was running stock carbs I was in the process of jetting them for pod filters when the opportunity to upgrade came along......

I appreciate you checking if you're able to. If you can't for whatever reason, I'll do it myself just to be certain.

So after disassembling both the stock GR shock and the Ducati shock, I have some minor issues to deal with. The Ducati shock has about 1/2" less shock travel than the Suzuki one. Not good. Especially for a tracker/scrambler type built, I do not want to limit my travel at all. I haven't yet measured to see what this means for overall travel on the bike, but if anything, I need more, not less! So put the original back in? Well the foam bump-stop was disintegrated upon dis-assembly. So I could rig up some sort of slip over the shaft bump stop, run without, or shitcan the whole suspension setup and design some new geometry/mounts, etc. Frustrating :mad:

sorry to drag up an old thread... but that mockup looks tops... building a gr650 myself... and have been for the past 10 years on and off.
Hows this one tracking?

I ended up with a monster shock after combing a wreckers for hours aswell. Its sat on the shelf for years without attention - you get yours to work?

Been on the back burner for a bit since I moved from the Northwest to San Antonio, TX into a garage with no welder or compressor outlet! I'm working to rectify that situation shortly. My pics are a bit behind my actual progress as well. Frame is nearly complete, just need some seat mounting points and some fender mount tabs, but again, welder... Turns out my monster shock was missing one of the hat bushings at the top eye, which was not communicated to me by the ebay seller. That would be fine if I had a Monster, just swap it out, but I don't, so I'll have to machine a replacement. Still not sure if its going to give me the height I want though, so the jury is still out.

Do you have an outlet for a dryer? Weld in the laundry room or use the dryer vent outlet to snake the cord into the house and plug it in. I wonder how I know....

Back
Top Bottom