Dirtbag Oil-Boiler

doc_rot said:
changing all the bolts up to the next imperial size to remove the factory slop, so 1/2" where 12mm is used. 7/16" where 10mm is used and 3/8" where 8mm is used.

From what I remember the Kosman HD motor mounts for the Kz’s use SAE bolts for a more snug fit and requires reaming the holes in the cases....but my memory tends to be wrong from time to time.

Later, Doug

Good news is the engine is bolted in. I had to make 1 custom bolt but used stock for everything else. Bad news is through my ingenious frame bracing I have painted myself into a corner. I’m going to use the stock bandit carbs but there is little room for an air filter. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 1B4F62B3-EA65-4D87-B5AE-448BE5E3162E.jpeg
    1B4F62B3-EA65-4D87-B5AE-448BE5E3162E.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 275
Well insulated plenum on top of motor and ram air scoops out the front ;) If you don't have 43mm forks use the Bandit ones. Check the wheels as well, they may be 1/4"~1/2" wider than what your using. Either way, Bandit forks are worth a few hundred bucks to fit on older GS 1000~1100, as are the wheels as an upgrade

I like the ram scoop idea.... I think I will make a plenum with a big filter under the gas tank as it will be the easiest route to get this bike on the road.
I already am using bandit wheels, with the stock GSXR forks. the forks I have are freshly rebuilt and ready to go so I'm going to use those right now. The ones that came on the donor are pitted and have road rash.

can anybody point me to info on building a functional airbox, intake size calculators etc...?

thanks for that. some good ideas there.

hooligan998 said:
Guess if you're gonna build a custom intake, you may as well turbo charge it. ;D

I like the way this guy thinks

I have tried searching and I keep finding differing info. Does anyone know what size front master cylinder would be on this thing with stock calipers? It came with a 14mm MC. I bought a rebuild kit and the kit is too big. I have seen some master cylinders listed for this bike as being 5/8"

I'm not sure what size MC bore to use

5/8” seems to be standard for dual 4-piston and 6-piston calipers. That being said...quite a few guys over on the Zrx Owners forum are switching to a 14mm Ex500 brake master for better feel. They’re also switching to Nissin or Tokico 4-piston calipers for easier bleeding and less weight than the Tokico 6-pistons provide.

Later, Doug

So it looks like K&N can make me a custom filter for a reasonable price. The recommended filter length is 3" I would go to 2.25" which is a 30% reduction in filter surface area. The end of the pod would only be 2" from the bell mouth. Im worried this wouldn't flow correctly. how much space do you need from the end of the pod to the bell-mouth?

Brakes refinished and rebuilt with new EBC pads, Gun Kote, and unnecessary safety wire.

Attachments

• IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 260
Is that regular off the shelf gun cerakote? I've always liked the finish and wondered how it'd work on some motorcycle parts

Neat Gun Kote. I have a strong suspicion this won't actually be a "dirtbag" build... ;D ;D ;D

jordandogtown said:
Is that regular off the shelf gun cerakote? I've always liked the finish and wondered how it'd work on some motorcycle parts

Its Gun Kote from KG Industries its a type of epoxy paint. Nearly impervious to solvents once you bake it. you can shoot brake cleaner right at it and it wont do anything.

canyoncarver said:
Neat Gun Kote. I have a strong suspicion this won't actually be a "dirtbag" build... ;D ;D ;D

look at how rusty the rotors are! Im trying here, it just so hard not to make things pretty! ;D

Back
Top Bottom